Technique question- shaving neck

D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
I could recommend something else. Use a more efficient razor and dont go ATG. With 2 passes the DFS is for sure.

Yaqi Slant
Muhle R41
Ikon Tech

With the first one can get DFS in one pass.
 

RiverMan

Forum GOD!
I could recommend something else. Use a more efficient razor and dont go ATG. With 2 passes the DFS is for sure.

Yaqi Slant
Muhle R41
Ikon Tech

With the first one can get DFS in one pass.
The GC84 seems to be doing quite well for me with one wtg pass on the neck and some very light touch ups to catch the odd missed hair. That is what seems to have made the difference as I really can’t go atg on the neck.
 
D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
May not be necessary. I can get a DFS consistently from the GC .84 with 2 passes and if the OP can, then job done
Interesting Sean. Do you like the Yaqi Slant? I liked it a lot. It tests your technique.
 

caus2929

Forum GOD!
I had similar problems.
But i would say that that was because i was useing diferent razor every shave. Now most of the time i use AS-D2 with feather blade and i do one WTG and one XTG but on diferent part of the neck the hair grow in diferent directions so its very much trying to figure out what works best for you.
 

G_man

Forum GOD!
I was also struggling with my neck for the better part of 6 years of my wetshaving experience.
I tried aggressive, mild, large blade gap, neutral exposure, combinations etc.
It would always seem that after changing gear I found something that works, but after a little more extended use, I would get irritated again.
It was the blade angle.. For me the trouble spot is the concave portion, where the chin meets the neck. Funnily enough cartridges in the old days never gave me problems in this area. . Because if cartridges have one thing right, is that blade angle is always more or less the same.

It was only when I started mimicking the contour of my neck precisely, that I mostly got rid of irritation. I say mostly because I don't get it spot on every time. So when going N to S from my chin to my neck, I would gradually turn the razor outward to follow the concave surface and try to maintain the pressure as minimal as possible. Some people can lift their head up and have this area flattened. But because I am more of a slim body type, this portion of my anatomy is concave no matter how I twist my head. :)

I know that maintaining a correct blade angle is something that a wet-shaver is suppose to do anyway, but doing this in a very precise manner finally made the difference for me.
 
Top