This all I have from their newsletter

Hair quality: Finest badger or Premium boar

• Knot diameter: 24 mm
  • Knot height: 50 mm
  • Weight: 116 grams
Screen Shot 2020-05-30 at 18.38.05.png

Masamune

Guru
Has anyone bought a Dark Masamune recently? I now have the mini handle in the dark finish but it looks like they changed the colour of the coating, it looks much lighter more graphite than black. Actually I really like the colour but I think the one I had before (swapped for the matte) was a much blacker finish?

Rasorium

Guru
Has anyone bought a Dark Masamune recently? I now have the mini handle in the dark finish but it looks like they changed the colour of the coating, it looks much lighter more graphite than black. Actually I really like the colour but I think the one I had before (swapped for the matte) was a much blacker finish?
No but I’m considering the dark version. I know that the initial run had issues but I’m hoping that’s been resolved now. Maybe that’s why the new run has a different shade?

Masamune

Guru
Could be the reason, I wanted to get the dark mini handle as it is a limited release. The razors look pretty black on the website and social media.

slapo

It's... alive!
I took advantage of that discount and ordered a Nodachi top cap and OC baseplate. It arrived yesterday.
I shaved with it today, pitching it against what seemed to me to be a somewhat similar razor head in a few aspects - the iKon 103. The colour, blade angle, the general shape of the upper surface of the top cap, even the texture seem similar at a glance. Upon closer observation:
  • The Nodachi is a darker grey, whereas the 103 is a lighter, almost a little blue tinted grey.
  • The Nodachi tilts the cutting edge of the blade a bit more downward.
  • Both have positive blade exposure, but the 103 has a little bit more of it.
  • The texture on the 103's top cap actually feels slightly smoother.
During a shave, it turned out that:
  • The Nodachi may have positive blade exposure, but I still hardly felt the blade. The 103 actually has a fair amount of blade feel, but it doesn't really feel aggressive to me, it just says: "Hello" a little louder. I felt like I could whip the Nodachi around with some abandon, the 103 not so much.
  • The Nodachi felt a bit smoother, but the 103 was somewhat more efficient, particularly on my touble spots (neck, chin, jawline).
  • No observable blade chatter with either head.
  • Achieved BBS with both except for a few small spots - there were more of those with the Nodachi.
All in all, a pleasant, 3-pass shave (and a few pickups).
I am somewhat tempted to put the Nodachi head on the BST, but I'll compare it against the 0.9 Start OC and the 1.3 Hummingbird OC first. The machining on the Nodachi is near-spotless, and it's making me trangely tingley in odd places, so maybe I'll keep it anyway. :D

RiverMan

How would you compare the masamune to the timeless 68mm (both closed combs). Similar ballpark or quite different?

vartik

Head shaver
How would you compare the masamune to the timeless 68mm (both closed combs). Similar ballpark or quite different?
Original Masamune is milder, more comfortable and less efficient.
Even Nodachi cap with Masamune baseplate (0,63mm gap / 0,00 blade exposure) is milder, more comfortable and little bit less efficient.
Timeless 0,68mm have (according to manufacturer) 0,00 blade exposure but maybe because of the weight (almost 150 gr) of SS version, there is more blade feel than Tatara.
Timeless effective angle is steeper than Tatara which for me as a head shaver is a plus (it's easier to maintain on back of the head than shallower angle).
SS Timeless feels big and maybe even cumbersome to someone. Tatara on the other hand is much more subtle and with 91 grams more nimble.
Both razors shaves wonderfully and are among top modern razors available today.

Last edited:

vartik

Head shaver
Also, I will be able to compare Tatara to titanium version of Timeless very soon, since my Timeless Ti arrived to Slovakia yesterday (ordered from Maggards on September 2nd) and should be with me probably tomorrow :)