Tallow soap - should Wickhams...

Wayne

Forum Sod
Oops the Wife has just informed me that putting a Vegan soap in a lovely wood and leather box isn’t Vegan. Apologies. Let’s make it Ivory.
@Wayne beef tallow it is. I did try for Highland Tallow but it's like trying to source Rocking Horse Poo down here in Hampshire. Unfortunately the companies I telephoned will not post as it has to be kept refrigerated and the cost is more than the price of bulk product itself.
Good choice Darron and if the soap doesn't work out your chips will be awesome!

pimple8

Forum GOD!
I'm not criticizing your lifestyle choice, and I'm going to come off sounding like an insensitive prick, so I apologize ahead of time...But...
Because tallow soaps perform better!
In every single instance where a soap maker produces both tallow/vegan bases, the tallow soaps work better for me.
I've used a LOT of soaps, and given a choice between tallow or vegan...I'll always choose tallow.
Agreed. There are some vegan soaps that perform better than tallow soaps, but in general, there are far more better performing tallow soaps to vegan soaps.
From my experience at least. That said - Wickham, Wolfpac & Crown King made my mind change about vegan soaps.

Pepperpot

I'm not criticizing your lifestyle choice, and I'm going to come off sounding like an insensitive prick, so I apologize ahead of time...But...
Because tallow soaps perform better!
In every single instance where a soap maker produces both tallow/vegan bases, the tallow soaps work better for me.
I've used a LOT of soaps, and given a choice between tallow or vegan...I'll always choose tallow.
I guess for a manufacturer, tallow might be more easy or cheaper to use, but a few soap makers, Wickham being one of them, show that it is indeed possible to make good vegetable soap, and they will possibly get even better in the future.
I admit, that there are some vegan soaps out there, that do not work as well or even crappy ones, but the good ones set the standard.

S

Steve Bowles

Tallow elevates even mundane soaps. I had a go with Muhle's Sea Buckthorn soap yesterday, and the results were as good as any soap I've used -- tallow or vegetable, regardless of price-point.

MPH

Forum GOD!
Providing a soap works well and doesn't damage me I really don't care what's in it. I would happily buy a tallow soap, I have many. I would also happily buy vegan, and have two 1912s.

What interests me in this conversation is the smaller size. I have often wished soaps come in smaller sizes (but bigger than samples) as I get bored with the scents easily. I would be happy to pay a little more to have 2-3 soaps with different scents than just one larger one.

I am the same as many on here, I don't buy soaps because I NEED it anymore..... It will take years of not buying to get to that point.....I'm only going to buy if the scent or performance really interests me, so in that regard adding something new like tallow would probably get you lots of new sales in the short term at least.

p.b

Forum GOD!
What interests me in this conversation is the smaller size. I have often wished soaps come in smaller sizes (but bigger than samples) as I get bored with the scents easily. I would be happy to pay a little more to have 2-3 soaps with different scents than just one larger one.
+1
60-75g would be ideal. That is still a lot of shaves but at least one could imagine finishing it...

pimple8

Forum GOD!
+1
60-75g would be ideal. That is still a lot of shaves but at least one could imagine finishing it...
+2

I know Catie's Bubbles offers this and calls it 2oz samples :) It does cost more per ounce/mg but I would gladly pay it. Hell, I would probably buy more soaps. I have 1 Wickham atm, would replace it for 2 smaller ones :)

flip-68

Forum GOD!
Originally it was to be called 1909 but was taken by another company and Phil @flip-68 referred to it as 1912, the rest is history.

Maybe it's Phil who should choose, Phil what say thee? :)
Just seen this :) - it's been a while since I've been here. will read the full thread and get back to you! :)

I like the idea of a tallow soap - I prefer it's post shave feel but the only question I would raise is - is being vegetal based soap company a lynchpin of your ideals?

back in a bit

flip-68

Forum GOD!
so - quite a thorough discussion eh? @Fox what are your thoughts now?

as a business decision it's a bit of a no brainer - you make quality soaps and you will create another great soap if you go ahead with this. I suppose a number of your current customers may be disappointed but would probably still buy 1912. the numbers, as noted by another poster up-thread, suggests you will probably not notice the loss of sales against the increased sales to none vegan shavers. Since you are considering doing this I assume you are not vegan yourself so I would say go for it. :)

Best to keep everything under one roof - so the Wickham name should stay. Just have to start a thread looking for soap names now! :)

good luck in your new endeavour!

Phil

Lann

Forum GOD!
I have really enjoyed reading the discussion taking place in this thread. My opinion, which of course comes from a positIon of complete ignorance and can, as a result, be therefore, completely ignored Darron, is that I imagine the difference between normal beef tallow and highland cow, bison, duck or, whatever other type of animal from which you can extract tallow, must be small. The most important factor for me would seem to be the skill and expertise of the artisan to produce a good soap from the ingredients they have available. . I buy soaps first on the premise that they make a good lather that performs well and second, the scent profile is interesting and pleasant to the nose during my shaves.

I have yet to buy a soap solely because it has bison, duck tallow, donkey milk, vegtables or whatever, in it (I'll need to look up you tube to see how you even go about milking a donkey!!!) but equally I respect the fact that for some people, no matter how big or small a percentage of the overall population they be, the use of any ingredients derived from animals means that ethically, they will not want or, be able to use a particular product.

So, on reflection, I have changed my mind from my earlier post encouraging you to keep everything under the Wickham's umbrella to seeing the benefit of having two completly different and separate brand names because I believe that no matter how small, the possibility will always exist of someone equating Wickham's to non tallow despite whatever different packaging or labelling you use and that could lead to a situation where someone accidentally uses a soap which contains ingredients that they are ethically opposed to - a potential headache you don't need.

A completely separate brand not only protects Wickham's already great reputation but challenges you to build a similar reputation by producing great tallow soaps - one of the motivating factors behind this decision I suspect.

Apologies, for rambling on but I am currently bedbound following a medical procedure yesterday and ATG is helping me to pass the time.

Mr Bigmem

Forum GOD!
That is a good question. I 've been looking for vegan shaving soaps for several weeks now. I found some, Catie's Bubbles Soap Commander, Dr. Jons, a few NSS lines Wickhams, Klar Seifen, Dr. Dittmar and possibly some more.
Some other companies state that their soaps are vegan, but when you look at the ingredients, they are not.

So far, I have found only two companies that state that they are using sustainable palm oil on top of being vegan, these are Wickhams and NSS, Nanny's Silly Soap and one that does not use any palm oil in the first place, that is Hila's Soap from Israel. All these three perform good. ( Ifound two other vegan soap companies that do not use palm oil, but the soaps perform really not good).
Dr. Jon is working on a vegan soap formular without palm oil as well.

In my opinion, this poses a special advantage, to have a great working product without ethical or environmental consequences.

With "comparable" performance and price of the product, I as a customer would choose the one with the smallest impact on animals and environment. Those products and companies set a high but obvious achievable standard.
Why would I willingly choose a product/ company that does not care or has lower standards?
Ok I see where you pitch your moral and ethical compass to, however would Wickham also making a tallow soap (separate tools pots etc to keep from any cross contamination) stop you from buying 1912 vegan soaps? Would you be compelled to walk away from this amazing soap? Would you be powerless to stay?

D

Deleted member 476

Would love to try a wickham soap tallow variant. I placed a sizable soap order with Phil at Connaught shaving last month and as much as I wanted to try Wickham soap, I currently only use tallow soaps.