Tallow soap - should Wickhams...

Discussion in 'Shaving Soaps' started by Fox, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Fox

Fox The Soap Artisan

Should Wickhams put out a Tallow soap?

Wickhams has built up a great reputation for vegan based soaps, and I'm in two minds if I should put out a tallow based shave soap as Wickhams or under a different brand, what do you guy's think?

What I don't want to do is mislead anyone or create any confusion with my current customer base.

As always I am appreciative of any advice from the community.

Darron :)

Kevy, lloydrm, chrisbd and 5 others like this.
  2. Sid James

Sid James ...

My thoughts. If there’s no personal ethical reasons on whether to use tallow or not then the question really is why shouldn’t you release one. If the only answer is to avoid brand confusion then that’s sorted easily enough.
    All your current tubs are White? Make the Tallow ones Black, something as easily as that can distinguish as well as clear labelling

ajc347, Bizzyberry, bambrit and 6 others like this.
  3. N_Architect

N_Architect Forum GOD!

Personally I do not find the idea of a tallow base product under the umbrella of a different label/brand bad.
    Would support you in this endeavor, Darron. Your products are terrific (at least what I've tried so far, the soap and the post-shave balm).

Britva likes this.
  4. Holyzeus

Holyzeus Quack Quack

I’m just thinking how good a Tallow soap from you would be..

Nick_S, bambrit, Mr Bigmem and 2 others like this.
  5. Fox

Fox The Soap Artisan

I was thinking on the lines of a puck, in an identical format to Haslingers old formula soaps.

Thank you Konstantinos, you are most kind sir. :)

Bizzyberry and N_Architect like this.
  6. pimple8

pimple8 Forum GOD!

I say go for it. Under the same brand, just make a distinction between the lines. Either the tub color or add in some name (or both) for lines - e.g. Wickhams Flora and Wickhams Fauna line :) Just an example :)

Britva and Fox like this.
  7. Quique

Quique Forum GOD!

I think you're free to do what you want, but please do not leave the 1912 vegetal line. :(

8. Mr Bigmem

Mr Bigmem Forum GOD!

My feelings are clear I agree with all of the above. Same Wickhams brand just another line. You started it all with SuperSmooth which was an amazing Tallow soap. Its only fair to bring tallow back to the fold. My only stipulation would be beef or duck and no lard.

Fox likes this.
  9. DamianJ

DamianJ Forum GOD!

I think that many people use Wickham 1912 for the performance etc rather than just it being a vegan base.

If you did decide to go for a tallow base I would definitely try it, more because I love 1912 rather than it being a tallow base.

I'd still launch it under the Wickham label but as a different line to 1912. I really hope that the 1912 line continues.

HMan, Matsilainen and Fox like this.
  10. Fox

Fox The Soap Artisan

The 1912 line will continue though it will have a small change to the bath soap.

Mem a beef tallow would be my preference of choice. I have been trying to source highland beef tallow, I thought we would give the US bison tallow a run for their money. As Harry Hill would say; "Which is better? There's only one way to find out! Fight!..." LOL :)

11. p.b

p.b Forum GOD!

Why?
    When I do something at work I try to ensure it falls into one of these categories:
    • It improves the product
    • It makes the company more profitable
    • It stops me / the company being sued
    Do you think you can create a tallow soap that is better than your vegan?
    Is it to increase sales to cater for a segment of the market that thinks only tallow soaps are good? If so, then will the projected sales increase pay off the increased workload and investment?

Bizzyberry, bambrit, mbarno and 7 others like this.
  12. culcreuch

culcreuch Resistance is Futile

I would most definitely buy the tallow soap:D

13. Fox

Fox The Soap Artisan

When I do something at work I try to ensure it falls into one of these categories:

It improves the product - I don't have this in mind and it would not be something that all my current customers would want. Some may be put off from the thought of carrying an animal based product. (It's a good question you've asked here).
    It makes the company more profitable - This is my aim but not my only motivation. Profit secures the future of Wickhams but I would like a greater customer reach.
    It stops me / the company being sued - Something I sail close to and an area I am conscious of. I do make vigilant checks before bringing anything to market.

Do you think you can create a tallow soap that is better than your vegan? Who is your current employer? I hope they are looking after you, this is another great question. :) This is the aim with everything I do. I always push higher and higher which is why Super Smooth V2 has taken me so long to reformulate and is still not where I want it to be. I didn't answer your question did I?

Kind of yes, but I will define better. I think I can better the price. I can also better the impact it has on the environment by formulating for the use of less packaging. I also plan to reduce the fragrance used, some will see this as being better others not. I will aim to better the shaving experience but this is ultimately decided by the wet shaving community. Shaving is a personal experience that I can control to a certain degree with a soap, the rest is down to the user. Will it be better than 1912? That's a tough one to answer, it's like asking is shaving better at 6am or 9pm? To many factors to consider. :)

Is it to increase sales to cater for a segment of the market that thinks only tallow soaps are good? If so, then will the projected sales increase pay off the increased workload and investment? Yes to cater to a segment of the market that I currently don't reach. The plan is to take the Super Smooth route in limiting it's ingredient list to have no more than 4 oils/fats along with minimalist packaging so I can reach the whole tallow market with a competitive price. I would like to compare the differences in this fragmented market against the 1912 in terms of sales and customer demographics. I believe it would be a great investment but not if put out under Wickhams brand.

Great questions! Thank you. :)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  14. Fox

Fox The Soap Artisan

So now I have answered my own question with the help of @p.b

What should the new brand name be?

Bizzyberry and p.b like this.
  15. SweeneyTodd

SweeneyTodd Forum GOD!

I'd buy a tallow soap from you, but I also reckon it a good idea to keep Wickham's as a vegan/non-tallow soap range. If you want to work Wickham's into it somewhere, then perhaps the labelling and publicity might say that the new Brand X is the tallow offering from Wickham's, makers of vegan soaps.

As for brand names, I personally think any exotic/punning/humourous/whatever names should be reserved for the soaps, and the branding should be plain and simple. If you're looking to sell overseas as well as the UK, then something locale-based (e.g. Hampshire) and "English" might help, and it won't do any harm in the home market.

Fox likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice