Taking better SOTD pictures, any tips?

Wayne

Forum Sod
I'd really like to improve my SOTd pictures and was wondering if anyone has any tips that I could use to make my pictures a little better. I do have an active imagination, I don't have expensive DSLR. lighting gear and a studio.
Thanks to all you great photographers out there for any help offered.

Your SOTD Pics are top notch Wayne ...I take mine with my phone, hence they are rubbish.
Maybe a camera rather than a phone works better. Some really good photographers on here mind so I reckon you'll get some good advice.

DamianJ

Forum GOD!
A lot of the SOTD pics that I really like try and be a bit different in the composition or are simply pleasing to my eye.

I think that there was a thread a while ago where people shared their tips for their SOTD photos.

You don't need a DSLR to capture a good photo though, although depending on what you want to do e.g. small depth of field etc a DSLR allows for greater control if you know what you're doing.

Wayne

Forum Sod
Your SOTD Pics are top notch Wayne ...I take mine with my phone, hence they are rubbish.
Maybe a camera rather than a phone works better. Some really good photographers on here mind so I reckon you'll get some good advice.
Thanks Chris, I too only use my phone and yours aren't rubbish mate.

vita

Mach 5 Turbo Fusion
Lighting is the most important thing, but it doesn't need to be expensive studio gear. Just some lights!

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
Not sure if smart phones have adjustable apertures...? Shame.
My photos are generally crap too... However I do enjoy a play about in Snapseed. It is amazing what you can turn out from a simple point and shoot...

JamieM

Extreme sharpness is ephemeral!
1. Use a tripod
2. Use a remote shutter
3. fill your frame with the subject matter crop your images hard
4. try various exposures both over and underexpose your shot
5. study your composition there's no hurry take your time think about it stand back and really look
6. natural light works better for natural colours
7. don't be scared to experiment try fill in flash
8. use a reflector board to throw light on certain areas
9. focus on the part of the shot you think is the most important or interesting
10. try using your cameras custom settings such as black & white sepia tone and so on

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
I've been using my phone for over a year now. Angles and lighting with a good base. I like to use a stone or wooden base to rest the razor etc on. A dark room and a torch angled to the side of the apparatus. Zoom in. Make sure the picture is not too busy. Anyway that's how I like to do it.

Batch300

Extraordinarily Uncomplicated
New iPhone or Pixel 3 and remember to take you finger off the lens. Some of the new software on the phones looks fun to try.

I understand both phones can be used for ironing videos with :"cinematic" results