T.S.A. Pre

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Anyone any knowledge on T.S.A. Pre ? I’m a U.K. Passport holder.

Last time travelled to U.S.A. July 2018, we went through all the new, photo / finger print machines at Heathrow. When we got to L.A.X. We went through all their photo / finger print machines too. Going through immigration the officer said something about when we fly back we get in to a different line which makes it all quicker. That happened, we were whisked away to a different security part where we didn’t have to take out electronic equipment, take our shoes off etc. All very quick, very efficient, very polite security agents, all a very nice experience.

No idea how we managed to get this service. We did notice that our boarding passes had TSA Pre printed on them. Googling this only gets a paid for service that gives you this sort of clearance, it also appears it’s for U.S.A. Citizens. Also comes under the Global Entry Program but again a paid for service.

So it looks like I have it and it lasts for five years, meaning when we go this July we get a shorter line and an easier and nicer experience ? No idea, seems all a bit too good to believe to me ?

Will-J

Forum GOD!
No idea how we managed to get this service.
Yeah, that is quite interesting as it requires a bit more than them taking your prints and picture to get TSA Pre, you may qualify for free it via some reward card, hotel loyalty scheme etc. but afaik you would still need to have done all the background checks and in person interview.

TSA Pre is useful for going through airport security in the US faster and with less faff, I travel to the US a few times a year and have global entry which also allows me to use the TSA Pre lanes when in the US as well as using the global entry booths when entering the US which generally have short queues.

When it comes to clearing immigration into the US arriving from other countries the automated photo/fingerprint machines are pretty much at every US airport that I've flown into in the last couple of years and if you're travelling on an ESTA should be pretty quick.

R181

Grumpy old man
At some Canadian airports you can clear US Customs before boarding your flight to the US. There is a bit of controversy surrounding allowing US Customs personnel to be stationed in Canada and enforcing US laws on our side of the border.

Bob

Will-J

Forum GOD!
At some Canadian airports you can clear US Customs before boarding your flight to the US. There is a bit of controversy surrounding allowing US Customs personnel to be stationed in Canada and enforcing US laws on our side of the border.

Bob
I've done the BA flight a few times from London City to JFK where you stop in Ireland briefly where they top off the fuel tanks and you pre-clear US customs, it is quite a good way to do it. Not sure of any other flights you can take from the UK at the moment though that let you do that.

R181

Grumpy old man
I've done the BA flight a few times from London City to JFK where you stop in Ireland briefly where they top off the fuel tanks and you pre-clear US customs, it is quite a good way to do it. Not sure of any other flights you can take from the UK at the moment though that let you do that.
Trying understand why a flight leaving London for JFK would need to stop in Ireland to top off their fuel tanks.

Will-J

Forum GOD!
Ahhh could be that B.A. Rewards scheme we signed up for ?
I have BA Gold Guest List and don't get TSA Pre from that, it could be you got lucky and they added it to your boarding card by mistake. Without wanting to be too cheeky as I don't know how old you are but I have seen them direct "senior citizens" into the TSA Pre lines at US airports when things are busy :wink:

As I mentioned the only way that I am aware of for a non-US Citizen to have TSA Pre is via a trusted traveller program such as Global Entry, which requires a background check and a face to face interview before they give it to you (and coughing up $100 for 5 years). If you are planning on travelling to the US regularly it could be worth considering but as you'd need to do the interview you need to plan in advance as getting an appointment as a useful time or location can be tricky.

Will-J

Forum GOD!
Trying understand why a flight leaving London for JFK would need to stop in Ireland to top off their fuel tanks.
BA1 - it is an unusual flight on an unusual plane, Airbus A318 with only 32 seats onboard and all business class. My understanding is they take off enough fuel to get to Shannon and then fill up there for the crossing.

This is a pretty good run down of it: https://thepointsguy.co.uk/2018/03/ba-a318-from-lcy-to-jfk/

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
I have BA Gold Guest List and don't get TSA Pre from that, it could be you got lucky and they added it to your boarding card by mistake. Without wanting to be too cheeky as I don't know how old you are but I have seen them direct "senior citizens" into the TSA Pre lines at US airports when things are busy :wink:

As I mentioned the only way that I am aware of for a non-US Citizen to have TSA Pre is via a trusted traveller program such as Global Entry, which requires a background check and a face to face interview before they give it to you (and coughing up $100 for 5 years). If you are planning on travelling to the US regularly it could be worth considering but as you'd need to do the interview you need to plan in advance as getting an appointment as a useful time or location can be tricky.
Been to USA five times and I’m now 55.

Yeah all I could find was paying up for the service. But we haven’t paid for it and can’t find any other reason. All I know is it was easy and possibly the best experience. This was for me, Mrs Northam, Lad Northam and little Miss Northam. We are of course all having no criminal history, not even a speeding ticket, so law abiding. Also Mrs is a medical profession and I’m a teacher.

All I can remember was the immigration officer said something about next time you fly it will be easy for you and that you would get through security easier. Must say it was a manic day at LAX that day. Took 2 1/2 hours to get through to immigration. No ones fault, all desks open, just the number of people.