Synthetic brushes

morr

Forum GOD!
Really nice. Enjoy them.

Did you get an apshave Co synbad knot too?
Yes, I'm eager to test it with a temporary 30 mm handle that arrived yesterday. Will post back.

How long has it been missing :(
Well, they're not exactly missing, I had them shipped to a forum mate in the US, but he's not sure when he'll get around to post them to me. It was a coincidence that my name was up with the WW just as I managed to score on a Dogwood drop, so I figured I'll have them both shipped together. I kinda regret now bothering the fella, it's a pretty big favor to begin with...

morr

Forum GOD!
So I made a few test lathers with the knots set in the DSCosmetic 30 mm yellow handle. Synbad was a perfect fit and the brush could be used with no adhesive at all. Cashmere, being 30 mm, couldn't fit all the way through, but was enough for testing purposes. Surprisingly, the Silksmoke knot was too small for the 30 mm socket, even though it's technically also 28 mm, like Synbad.

My first impressions on the knots:

Synbad - scritch seems less pronounced than with the last knot I had with almost no prickliness. I don't want to judge based on just one semi-usage, but this could be the one.

Cashmere - having a 24 Cashmere already, this was a familiar knot for me. Going 30 mm and with the loft set unnaturally high (due to the knot not fully fitting in the handle), the splay on this one was just ridiculous. It's a very luxurious feeling knot with absolutely no scrub. I do intend to set it a bit lower, but I don't want to go too low and lose some of that luxury feeling.

Silksmoke - honestly, I'm surprised. Silksmoke was advertised as something between Tuxedo and Cashmere, and while I feel that description might be fit for the Synbad, Silksmoke feels quite different; it's scrubbier and with greater backbone than the Tuxedo. It reminds me of Muhle STF, with perhaps a bit thicker and scrubbier fibers. Definitely thicker fibers than Synbad and Cashmere.

Honestly, I like them all. Next week I'll try setting the knots and playing a bit with different lofts. Fun times ahead :wink:

D

Deleted member 1881

So I made a few test lathers with the knots set in the DSCosmetic 30 mm yellow handle. Synbad was a perfect fit and the brush could be used with no adhesive at all. Cashmere, being 30 mm, couldn't fit all the way through, but was enough for testing purposes. Surprisingly, the Silksmoke knot was too small for the 30 mm socket, even though it's technically also 28 mm, like Synbad.

Synbad - scritch seems less pronounced than with the last knot I had with almost no prickliness. I don't want to judge based on just one semi-usage, but this could be the one.

Cashmere - having a 24 Cashmere already, this was a familiar knot for me. Going 30 mm and with the loft set unnaturally high (due to the knot not fully fitting in the handle), the splay on this one was just ridiculous. It's a very luxurious feeling knot with absolutely no scrub. I do intend to set it a bit lower, but I don't want to go too low and lose some of that luxury feeling.

Silksmoke - honestly, I'm surprised. Silksmoke was advertised as something between Tuxedo and Cashmere, and while I feel that description might be fit for the Synbad, Silksmoke feels quite different; it's scrubbier and with greater backbone than the Tuxedo. It reminds me of Muhle STF, with perhaps a bit thicker and scrubbier fibers. Definitely thicker fibers than Synbad and Cashmere.

Honestly, I like them all. Next week I'll try setting the knots and playing a bit with different lofts. Fun times ahead :wink:

How was the splay of the SilkSmoke anyway?

Mr Bigmem

Forum GOD!

What were the handles you got again? Pics and links would be great :D

GoReds

Forum GOD!
@morr

Nice feedback.

Does anyone uses Turnnshave knots? I am thinking about the quartermoon and the hawk. Has anyone tried them?

morr

Forum GOD!
What were the handles you got again? Pics and links would be great :D
Here are the knots:

And here are the handles (Rooney T&H for reference - yes, they're exactly the same):

All handles (and two non APshsaveCO knots) are from Aliexpress Dscosmetic store: https://shavingbrush.aliexpress.com/store/600244

All handles are 26 mm expect the yellow one which is 30 mm. DSCosmetic knots are actually 1 mm smaller than their declared size so a 26 mm knot fits in their 26 mm handle (even though it's actually a 25 mm knot... :o_o: ).

How was the splay of the SilkSmoke anyway?
Middle of the road, better than Tuxedo, less than Muhle STF.

@morr

Nice feedback.

Does anyone uses Turnnshave knots? I am thinking about the quartermoon and the hawk. Has anyone tried them?
Thanks!
I tried the Tuxedo fan and to me it just didnt' feel right. Funny cos I prefer fan badgers.

Mr Bigmem

Forum GOD!
Here are the knots:

And here are the handles (Rooney T&H for reference - yes, they're exactly the same):

All handles (and two non APshsaveCO knots) are from Aliexpress Dscosmetic store: https://shavingbrush.aliexpress.com/store/600244

All handles are 26 mm expect the yellow one which is 30 mm. DSCosmetic knots are actually 1 mm smaller than their declared size so a 26 mm knot fits in their 26 mm handle (even though it's actually a 25 mm knot... :o_o: ).

Middle of the road, better than Tuxedo, less than Muhle STF.

Thanks!
I tried the Tuxedo fan and to me it just didnt' feel right. Funny cos I prefer fan badgers.
Whats the last knot after the silksmoke?