Suppaparts Razor (titanium)

slapo

It's... alive!
Hi everyone,

I just stumbled upon this one rather randomly (when looking for titanium razor the name of which wouldn't come to mind.. and it was the Paradigm).
https://suppaparts.com/Safety-Razor.php

It looks a fair bit like a twist on the Rockwell 6S/6C, but I can't see it on the website whether it's also 'adjustable' or whether those are just manufacturing marks and the baseplate it that way so users don't have to care which side should be up and which side down.

I couldn't find anything on it, so I thought I'd share the find.

I favour different head designs, but those that like the Rockwell 6S/6C/Merkur CC/DE89/EJ head designs might like it.

jmudrick

Forum GOD!
Hi everyone,

I just stumbled upon this one rather randomly (when looking for titanium razor the name of which wouldn't come to mind.. and it was the Paradigm).
https://suppaparts.com/Safety-Razor.php

It looks a fair bit like a twist on the Rockwell 6S/6C, but I can't see it on the website whether it's also 'adjustable' or whether those are just manufacturing marks and the baseplate it that way so users don't have to care which side should be up and which side down.

I couldn't find anything on it, so I thought I'd share the find.

I favour different head designs, but those that like the Rockwell 6S/6C/Merkur CC/DE89/EJ head designs might like it.
It says four different settings so yes the baseplate can be flipped, and there is differential exposure on each side as well. As Rockwell has a US patent on the flippable baseplate I presume the suits will be on this.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

slapo

It's... alive!
It says four different settings so yes the baseplate can be flipped, and there is differential exposure on each side as well. As Rockwell has a US patent on the flippable baseplate I presume the suits will be on this.
Ah, cheers, I couldn't see wood for the trees. :blush:

It's curious they have been granted a patent on the baseplate at all, as it's not their original idea as far as I know. I think it was first seen on the Famex DE razor (reportedly French).
The Ikon SBS seems to be getting away with it for now, so maybe these guys are going to as well. The Suppaparts razor plate's design is pretty close to a copy of the Rockwell plate, though.

slapo

It's... alive!
Thinking some more about this, I wager someone's going to have a few... 'moments' when using the 1-4 plate on this razor. :-D
It would have made more sense UX-wise to have 1-2 and 3-4 sides, IMO.

jmudrick

Forum GOD!
Ah, cheers, I couldn't see wood for the trees. :blush:

It's curious they have been granted a patent on the baseplate at all, as it's not their original idea as far as I know. I think it was first seen on the Famex DE razor (reportedly French).
The Ikon SBS seems to be getting away with it for now, so maybe these guys are going to as well. The Suppaparts razor plate's design is pretty close to a copy of the Rockwell plate, though.
Ikon is not completely getting away with it as the SBS has been dropped by a couple US retailers after polite but firm letters from Rockwell attorneys.

My Famex doesn't remotely resemble Rockwell's effort. I'm aware that some users flipped the Famex cage (it doesn't have a plate to flip) but it wasn't designed that way (I've got the French patents). Famex actually designed two different cages with opposite orientation

Last edited:

slapo

It's... alive!
Ikon is not completely getting away with it as the SBS has been dropped by a couple retailers after polite but firm letters from Rockwell attorneys.

My Famex doesn't remotely resemble Rockwell's effort. I'm aware that some users flipped the Famex cage but it wasn't designed that way (I've got the French patents).
I see. That's a bit of a shame (regarding the SBC). :-/

I've only read about the Famex, but now that I've looked up more images, it really doesn't look like it was designed to be flippable but more like it just happened to be so.

Do you know if Ikon had it in the SS predecessor of the SBS, too?
I think that one had been out there before the Rockwell 6S came out.

jmudrick

Forum GOD!
The first SS SBS beta came out shortly after Rockwell's (September 2014) patent application.

Last edited:

carbold

Carlo
That’s interesting. Good price for a Titanium razor. It would look nice after a good polish and with a Stork handle

morr

Forum GOD!
Ikon is not completely getting away with it as the SBS has been dropped by a couple US retailers after polite but firm letters from Rockwell attorneys.
I always presumed it was the Pils. Nice trivia.

jmudrick

Forum GOD!
I always presumed it was the Pils. Nice trivia.
If Pils had a US design patent that might have come into play, but it was the flippable baseplate not the cosmetic appearance that is at issue with Rockwell.

Wilga

Forum GOD!
The Suppaparts could hardly be described as elegant. Agree that a Stork handle would go a long way to improve things but then the handle would be worth more than the Suppaparts. Either way I've decided to give one a try.