Suncream

Discussion in 'Health, Fitness & Training' started by Tommo, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Tommo

Tommo Fancy a trade?

That yellow thing in the sky has reappeared. What do you use/reccomend to stop yourself looking like a lobster?

2hot 2trot likes this.
  2. Rowlers

Rowlers Massive Member Staff Member

If you read the reviews, they are all pretty much the same. Paying top £££ gets you no better protection than buying from Aldi.
    Our week in Tenerife, we used Boots Once a day 30SPF [it was on special buy!] and then topped up with Nivea 15 & 20SPF [again bought last for 99p a bottle]
    Check out your local Home Bargains, they stock loads...

Tommo and R181 like this.
  3. Burgundy

Burgundy Forum GOD!

Ultrasun for me. I use the face cream every day, even in the depths of winter. I’m worth it. I used to think they were all much-of-a-muchness.

Aloe vera gel in the fridge in the event of sunburn.

Tommo likes this.
  4. Rowlers

Rowlers Massive Member Staff Member

Ha! Same here..

5. R181

R181 Grumpy old man

Don't forget the sunglasses and a lid with a wide brim for your noggin.

Bob

Tommo and Rowlers like this.
  6. Burry

Burry Veteran

I suspect the biggest difference between the creams is not so much in their performance, but in how they feel on the skin. Some are really sticky. I like the Nivea spray lotion. Rubs in super quick and not sticky like a lot of creams.
    For what it's worth, the only cream that Which magazine says don't buy is Avon Sun+ Multi Protection Moisturising Sun Lotion. This did not provide the protection it claimed in their tests

Tommo and Rowlers like this.
  7. dc68

dc68 -------------

Stay in the pub

Nishy, Tommo and R181 like this.
  8. Tommo

Tommo Fancy a trade?

So there's no artisan sun cream scene?!?! Someone's missing a trick!

R181 likes this.
  9. dc68

dc68 -------------

Lard is good for us Northerners

10. Count of Undolpho

Count of Undolpho Guru

Whatever I got for the kids. Mostly I just cover up when I start to feel it get a bit much.

11. Batch300

Batch300 Extraordinarily Uncomplicated

Cancer Council (Australia) and La Roche-Posay Anthelios. After years of thinking the consumption of beer was adequate protection for many outdoor activities, I have gone to the good stuff.

Where I need help is trying to balance my "bicycle tan."

12. BJS

BJS Actual Member

I have had more that 30 BCC's surgically removed and 1 Malignant Melanoma removed, one was so large I had to have a skin graft afterwards and this all came about because on occasions I would take off my shirt outside, yet I never sunbathed once in my life.
    If your skin gets even a little red in the sun, the damage is already done, but you won't know it until later in life. So my advise for everyone would be, keep your skin covered up, when out in the sun. If you have to take your shirt off, wear the highest factor you can buy and wear a hat and sun glasses.
    My dermatologist is an Australian chap, he had a Malignant Melonoma on the sole of his foot and could only assume he got it from reflected Sun light of the swimming pole.

chris.hale, Tommo and Nishy like this.
  13. Nishy

Nishy Forum GOD! Staff Member

Broad spectrum UVA and UVB protection. Preferably SPF 30 or above. I like to use Zelens Defence, costly but lasts for at least 2 summers. Otherwise good old Ambre Solaire. Also prefer sprays these days instead of creams.

14. BJS

BJS Actual Member

I have to have sunscreen on prescription from the NHS and the only one they will prescribe is Sunsense. I'm sure other brands are as good.

15. Nishy

Nishy Forum GOD! Staff Member

Sunsense is excellent, really is. We also dispense these on prescription.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice