Sugar

Discussion in 'Health, Fitness & Training' started by Northam Saint, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Northam Saint

Northam Saint Forum GOD!

Decided on Monday I would reduce my sugar intake. Bearing in mind I have a very sweet tooth. I can munch a whole 200g in no time. Well I think I over did it by not consuming a single sweet thing, nothing, not even had a beer all week. Blimey what a crap affect that has had ! Two nights poor sleep and a sick feeling ! Thirsty and peeing more than normal.

So instead I'm knocking out the sweets but still having a little something sweet once a day / or once every other day. This evening was the first sweet thing all week a bowl of rice pudding. Feeling much better already ! Just feel I went over the top too soon.

The plus side is I've lost four pounds this week.

2. Nishy

Nishy Forum GOD! Staff Member

Good work! Enjoy the sugar rush :) rice pudding is a smart choice.

Northam Saint likes this.
  3. MrK1

MrK1 Forum GOD!

I have tried and failed to give up sugar, so I know it's not easy, so well done.

I don't have sugar in tea or coffee which I now prefer.

I just can't seem to give up sweets, chocolate, biscuits, ice cream, fizzy drinks...etc etc..

R181 and Northam Saint like this.
  4. halvor

halvor Esquire

Trick is to find foods that feed your sweet hunger but has less of a negative impact or at least more of a good impact than syrup in gel form does. Yoghurt or fruit after dinner etc. I have a terrible record with having to go into the cupboard for something a little into the evening in front of the telly and have mitigated that somewhat by making sure we have fruits that I can slice and cut and serve on a platter.

R181, Nishy, MrK1 and 2 others like this.
  5. Northam Saint

Northam Saint Forum GOD!

It's the sweets mainly for me, I can take or leave chocolate and biscuits. I love ice cream, but sadly most of it has coconut oil or fat in. I have an intolerance to coconut, it gives me a bad stomach, results in stomach cramps and spending a lot of time on the loo, even the smallest amount can trigger it. I haven't had sugar in tea of coffee for years.

Crisps are another vice which are terrible for fat and it's all too easy to munch away on a big bag with a beer. I am, according to the NHS site over weight, but thankfully not by much, if I loose just over half a stone I'll be in the correct weight range to height, so not far to go. So it's no cake in my lunch box and something healthier than crisps with my sandwich.

MrK1 likes this.
  6. Dipesh

Dipesh Forum GOD! Staff Member

Good luck!

I have a bit of a sweet tooth too so need to do something about it so watch with interest on how you get on!

7. Nishy

Nishy Forum GOD! Staff Member

IMO corn syrup is the enemy.

iamsms and Northam Saint like this.
  8. Northam Saint

Northam Saint Forum GOD!

I wouldn't recommend just stopping sweet things in one go. Thankfully today I'm feeling much better. But the effects on a complete withdrawal were nasty. The general feeling like crap coupled with frequent wee stops, all apparent sugar withdrawal symptoms.

All I have had today was a small piece of Choc Fudge cake for dessert. Sounds horrific, but normally I would of had a piece of cake with lunch and a bag of sweets, yeah that bad ! So I've knocked quite a bit on the head ! Sugar though I've discovered is a very much like a drug.

9. Northam Saint

Northam Saint Forum GOD!

Well it's going well now. Just one sweet thing a day everyday now. I've reduced my calorie intake a lot, and to be honest I feel better for it. Belt needs another notch in it too. I purchased some sugar free sweets and limit myself to a couple a day just to take that desire for something sweet. In fact despite them being sugar free they taste so sweet I can't eat many. Crisps have been replaced with rice cakes, the salt and vinegar ones are rather nice.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    Rowlers and MrK1 like this.
  10. Rufusdog

Rufusdog Forum GOD!

I've found the most effective way to curb my desire for sugar is to eat a few nuts when the urge for something sweet grabs me. My preferred nuts are almonds, pistachios and cashews. Whilst nuts are good for you they do contain a lot of calories, so moderate consumption is needed.

11. Northam Saint

Northam Saint Forum GOD!

I loved nuts until they started turning against me ! I am not allergic to them but have an intolerance along with coconut. Coconut is the devil ! Within a couple of hours I'd loose a lot of weight !!!

The sugar desire has dropped quite a bit. I'm still on one sweet thing a day, but that's starting to taste super sweet, so may well even become too much.

Rufusdog likes this.
  12. Rufusdog

Rufusdog Forum GOD!

That's unfortunate about nuts. Nevertheless you appear to be percevering. I think that kicking the sugar habit is as hard as giving up smoking. Unfortunately, today many, many foods are loaded with sugar (unnecessarily) especially those touted as low in fat to make up for the loss of flavour when the fat content is reduced. In addition to fizzy drinks, fruit juice is just loaded with unadded sugar, yet contains none of the fibre of the whole fruit; better to eat an orange or two at breakfast rather than to drink a glass of orange juice.

13. Northam Saint

Northam Saint Forum GOD!

Well it is still going well. In fact I'm going right off sweet things. Everything with any sweetness now tastes super sweet. I couldn't even get through a medium cider tonight.

I have lost 6lb so far and SWMBO has noticed my stomach has slimmed down. I have reduced my general calorie intake too. No more crisps, instead salt and vinegar rice cakes. Not the most glamorous of snacks but at 47 calories a piece with a low fat content it's all good.

Managed also to clock up 8 miles of walking today. Knee aches a bit due to my osteoarthritis, but I start physiotherapy for that this Friday, so hopefully that will help.

MrK1 likes this.
  14. Roderick

Roderick Senior Member

TWGW and I have quit sugar as well. Watch this documentary, it will give you lots of food for thought.
    http://sugarcoateddoc.com/

15. pjgh

pjgh Forum GOD!

Good on you! I know this is somewhat anecdotal, but there is nothing much in our ancestral past that marks us out as sugar eaters. We can eat it and indeed many hunter gatherer societies today will actively seek out honey (especially the psychedelic kind ... China, is it?), there's the Kitivans with their sweet potatoes and those Tarahumara chaps in Copper Canyon with their corn powered mega-running!

Nah! It's a seasonal thing, be it berries or be it honey. Beyond that there's little else to warrant the vast amount of sugar that we intake today ... and it's insidious! It's in everything. I guess @Roderick 's link will be along those lines. I do agree with @Nishy - we're seeing HFCS creeping into boxed food here in the UK. It's rife in the US and the knock-on effects on health are epidemic.

I hate the phrase "all things in moderation" especially when coupled with "just natural things" ... okay, so a little uranium every now and again? No, I hate that phrase, but actually we are highly adaptive creatures quite capable of powering ourselves on just about anything. But it is healthful?

I know I've banged on about paleo ... blah, blah, yawn, but a really good first step is to simply not eat packaged food. Not even prepared meats and fish with sauces or marinades or even pre-prepared burgers. Eat real food! Meat, fish, shellfish (yeah! the best!), eggs and all manner of vegetables. Initially, boost energy with good fats (that's saturated, folks), so dripping, lard, butter, coconut oil for cooking and olive oil or avocado oil (mechanically pressed/extracted) to slosh over. Trim that down as you go.

Taking the next step, it's reduce or remove reliance upon breads, pastries and so on ... I've been largely gluten-free for years, but happy to eat some bread or pie or something like every now and again. You can also do yourself a big favour by reducing milk ... easy, since you won't be eating cereal. What? Are you an 'orse? Cereal? Puh! Cream, full fat yogurt (the vitamins are fat soluble, so low fat is a farcical waste), butter, real cheese and other fermented dairy. Milk, if you must, make it A2 type - goat, sheep, buffalo, Channel Island cows or even "A2 Milk" as sold now in many supermarkets. DO NOT go for nut milks. Gah! What a bastardisation!

Still got a sweet tooth? Honey. It's good, it's natural (like plutonium :) ) and there's all sorts out there - I like Spanish Forest honey which is really malty. I'm happy for a spoon every now and again.

You'll be surprised just how your tastebuds change by cutting down sugar, salt and moving off boxed food. Real food tastes great! It's healthful, it's nutritious ... and when lowering grain intake, you get more of it! Minor note that grain increases fecal matter quite dramatically, which to me translates as "you're not getting all the goodness out of the food you are eating". Our societal pre-occupation with fibre and a good, wholesome dump has derailed our health as much as the so-called food pyramids we see coming out of our respective NHSes.

Best of luck to you ...

Make it a lifestyle change. Kick it out, understand what and why, experiment and draw it back in but in a controlled manner so that you can enjoy your life without the things you enjoy ruining your life for good.

Best of luck!

Tomhstorey, dowsing, Roderick and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice