Stubble Control Debate

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
Given my Spartan shaving gear i have no room for anticipation and it is actually ideal for my liking. I like de shaves but not at a level when i have to invest time in advance planning.
I shave 6 time a week and every shave is same as the last one. Brass Karve on D s/b plate return same shaving experience and result using Feathers, Gillette Black and Polsilver.
There's a lot to be said for the minimalist approach.
 

N0ggie

Forum GOD!
Given my Spartan shaving gear i have no room for anticipation and it is actually ideal for my liking. I like de shaves but not at a level when i have to invest time in advance planning.
I shave 6 time a week and every shave is same as the last one. Brass Karve on D s/b plate return same shaving experience and result using Feathers, Gillette Black and Polsilver.
I might have too many razors (10) but I am sure that is a tiny collection with many people on here. I tend to rotate them on a daily basis but not in any order. I am minimalistic in many ways in my life but not with shaving.
Solid routine and consistency showing here, thank you for your input :thumbsup:
 

HereticHermit

Forum GOD!
There's a lot to be said for the minimalist approach.
Chris, but is there really any other way? Wet shaving for over 25 years if it still does not dawn upon us that many people refer to BBS as metaphor but really are chasing a utopia. At this point of time only consistent results matter to me within reasonable -+ slip on expectations. I volunteer and donate more than I spend on shaving gear yearly and I am not rich by any stretch of imagination but I do not want to end up feeling guilty for earning in a 3rd world country and spending in 1st world to buy things I am going to use maybe once in 20 days. I am queer just like that :wacky:
I might have too many razors (10) but I am sure that is a tiny collection with many people on here. I tend to rotate them on a daily basis but not in any order. I am minimalistic in many ways in my life but not with shaving. Solid routine and consistency showing here, thank you for your input :thumbsup:
No guilt from pleasure! If you are happy with your routine then why not? I tend to over fret and be a worrywart over lot many other things in life, over which I have no control. Just try to keep it simple with things over which I can exert control and shaving happens to be one such !! I am not really a skint and spent nearly $170 on entire set of Karve . Don't believe me? Look here > :hyper:
If you really want to complicate things further, head over to B&B and read tonnes of dried ink about negative and positive blade feel, angle of attack when gliding razor with pressure of mouse fart, Manchurian white tip being infinitely better than silver tip. Trust me it is easy to lose head reading all the self styled gurus who will point what exactly you lack in your present gear. It will slide quicker than blink of eye from thereon.
 
Last edited:

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
Chris, but is there really any other way? Wet shaving for over 25 years if it still does not dawn upon us that many people refer to BBS as metaphor but really are chasing a utopia. At this point of time only consistent results matter to me within reasonable -+ slip on expectations. I volunteer and donate more than I spend on shaving gear yearly and I am not rich by any stretch of imagination but I do not want to end up feeling guilty for earning in a 3rd world country and spending in 1st world to buy things I am going to use maybe once in 20 days. I am queer just like that :wacky:
Most of us go through an acquisition phase where we want to try the latest and greatest in the hopes that the new shiny will provide a better shaving experience. After nine years I've realised that the Gillette Tech, the second razor I ever had, is really all I need. My most-used is the Feather AS-D2, essentially a stainless steel Tech. However the journey to reaching this point has seen the acquistion of many other razors, most of which now languish un-used but without a cost-effective way to move them on they're probably going to stay put. Same could be said for brushes.
 

Benz3ne

Forum GOD!
I go for around 1-2 shaves per week with as much hair reduction as possible. Keeps me comfortable, reasonably clean looking (I sport a beard but keep it shapely), and doesn't give me irritation.
Recently, I've used only the CJB Shavette, one of the two brushes I own and Signature Soaps Capra and have found zero need to use anything else. It's a winning combo for me.
 

R181

Grumpy old man
There is nothing wrong with enjoying the guilty pleasures of the various acquisition disorders. You soon come to realise it is technique over gear that counts and that gear need not cost a ton of coin to do an excellent job.

Bob
 

N0ggie

Forum GOD!
Most of us go through an acquisition phase where we want to try the latest and greatest in the hopes that the new shiny will provide a better shaving experience. After nine years I've realised that the Gillette Tech, the second razor I ever had, is really all I need. My most-used is the Feather AS-D2, essentially a stainless steel Tech. However the journey to reaching this point has seen the acquistion of many other razors, most of which now languish un-used but without a cost-effective way to move them on they're probably going to stay put. Same could be said for brushes.
My days of shiny new razors came to end when the unshineiest razor I have turned out to be my favourite 😄
The Rockwell 6S.
 
Top