Straight razor v lots of stubble, I need to practice more!

halvor

a most elusive fish
:D Surely felt good to get that beard off!?

Looks rather thick, your lather, not the slickest. On purpose? I’ve never tested what sort of lather is better on long stubble. One argument for thinner would be to get skin and stubble well covered, while on the other hand, thicker possibly could aid the slicing and reduce tug since it all becomes a mush.

Last edited:

R181

Grumpy old man
It is hard to tell from a video but my impression was also that your lather appeared thick and on the dry side. A thick dry lather tens to lead to tugging and skipping of the blade, at least it does for me. Mind you I have never had that much growth to shave off either.

Bob

A fine head of hair you have Nishy!

I agree with @R181. A lather for a straight is different than a lather for a safety razor. Maybe next time try adding more water to the lather for straight shaving.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Thanks chaps yes you are all spot on, my lather was far too dry, the pre shave oil added slickness, however, in my haste I should have used a slicker soap rather than the shave cream.

@halvor I feel like a new man without the beard. Can't believe I only managed a few shaves (not even full face for one) this month. On the plus side I have learnt a lot about DIY :) the wife said not to upload the video as I look like an amateur, at least she knows I can shave well :)

UKRob

Forum GOD!
I’m firmly in the camp that a decent lather is the same for any type of razor and just dont see why a straight razor needs a thinner lather. Having said that Nishy, your lather was crying out for more water and must have been drying out in the time you spent lathering and shaving the first pass. I know it’s personal preference for you, but I think a bowl makes it much easier to get the soap/water ratio in tune.

A couple of observations about the shave:

- your razor seemed to tug - are you convinced that it’s sharp enough?
- the shave angle looks as though you need be a bit steeper - this will also help with the tugging.

Other than that, you looked a bit rusty which is not surprising.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
I’m firmly in the camp that a decent lather is the same for any type of razor and just dont see why a straight razor needs a thinner lather. Having said that Nishy, your lather was crying out for more water and must have been drying out in the time you spent lathering and shaving the first pass. I know it’s personal preference for you, but I think a bowl makes it much easier to get the soap/water ratio in tune.

A couple of observations about the shave:

- your razor seemed to tug - are you convinced that it’s sharp enough?
- the shave angle looks as though you need be a bit steeper - this will also help with the tugging.

Other than that, you looked a bit rusty which is not surprising.
Cheers Rob, rusty is an understatement. I keep wanting to return to maximum proficiency with the straight, but ease of use in conjunction with very similar results (with DE & SE razors) have pushed me away from these tools. It also has lost it's 'finally achieved' a full face shave with zero irritation appeal. Saying this maybe I was just too tired to shave with the straight yesterday. The poor technique and lack of proper lather probably a good indication of this. Again in retrospect the lather in the video would have been absolutely fine with my other razors. Lets face it I'm getting lazy :)

Razor is definitely sharp enough, sliced off hairs from my arm without any tugging and the HHT was no issue across the length of the blade. If I were to do it again I would use a slicker soap to create a better lather and some alum to help stretch the skin, also not use my phone camera as a mirror. A face wash and a pre shave shower would also be necessary. I really did just cut corners with this shave. I don't think my angles were an issue, apart from when I cut my neck, but using a mirror and stretching the skin would alleviate this issue IMO.

I will return to my straights but when I can spend more time on the shave and when my brain is still awake; I was shaving after spending 5 hours putting up a multi gym.

A much better representation is my other straight razor shave video.

Now that is interesting. I make my lather the same way for a DE/SE shave as I do for a straight razor. I hate clogged razor heads from too dry a lather.

Bob
Hi Bob,
I dare say it’s a personal thing when it comes to lather.
Personally I could get a good straight shave from just the bloom water of a soap.
I am on the same boat I dislike dry lather. A nice hydrated lather is the business.

R181

Grumpy old man
I really could not say which is the slickest soap out there not having tried them all. I can say that the vast majority of commonly available soaps have been slick enough for me to do a comfortable 4 pass shave with a straight razor. That goes for Arko to MdC if I get the water to soap ratio right.

Bob

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
MdC has never been the slickest for me. I haven't tried any newer soaps with duck fat etc. Stirling, Grandstaff, Eufros, Mikes and P&B I find to be incredibly slick.

JayGee

Forum GOD!
I think you are being a bit hard on yourself Avnish, not a bad result using a 'phone as a mirror, I'd be lucky to still have ear lobes doing the same.

Personally, not sure the soap is that critical as long as the water ratio is right. And yes, it was way to dry for my preference, self smoothing floor screed is the consistency I aim for.

The king pelican is a beauty, very nice.