Straight Razor shave with 2 hands

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
@Merkurologist - good technique there. I really wish I’d started with two hands as I can see definite advantages. However, I was completely self taught (no videos) and after more than 10 years of using straights I just can’t be bothered with going through another learning period. Incidentally, the point where single handed shaving obscures your vision -left cheek by right hand with me - is no real problem, you just have to trust the feel of the blade. I could actually close my eyes for those few strokes.

@Twelvefret - good to see that old video again - not a convex hone in sight!!
Not to participate in any thread drift, but I do agree that none in sight…lol!! 👍

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
Not much of an assumption there as most people were taught how to shave either directly or by mimicking how others shaved. Yes that is how they shaved using a straight razor back when Billy was young. The two handed method has been past down for generations as that is the easiest way to shave with a straight razor to see what you are doing. If shaving one handed with a straight razor was easier you can bet that would have been past down over several hundred years instead. There is nothing to block you view when using DEs/SEs/Carts using only one hand and that is the way most of us were taught to use them, one handed.

Bob
You are a wealth of information, Bob.

Merkurologist

Forum GOD!
@Merkurologist - good technique there. I really wish I’d started with two hands as I can see definite advantages. However, I was completely self taught (no videos) and after more than 10 years of using straights I just can’t be bothered with going through another learning period. Incidentally, the point where single handed shaving obscures your vision -left cheek by right hand with me - is no real problem, you just have to trust the feel of the blade. I could actually close my eyes for those few strokes.

@Twelvefret - good to see that old video again - not a convex hone in sight!!
Thank you Rob, coming from you, it means something.
I can't imagine how I would have gone about teaching myself to shave with a SR without Youtube. I looked at quite a few people's technique and I guess I took bits from a few and perhaps I came up with a couple of things myself but I'm not claiming ownership of anything :)

It doesn't really matter if one shaves with one or two hands, having said that, I don't think the risk is higher with two hands.

UKRob

Forum GOD!
@Merkurologist - my interest started when my Barber invested in a proper shave chair where you lean pretty far back. Until then I’d never considered shaving with anything other than a cartridge, although I’ve always used a brush and cream/soap. After having her shave me, I googled straight razors, bought a Dovo and then downloaded a printed set of photos which showed just one side of the face with instructions to do the same on the other side. It did not occur to me to use my left hand - probably due to the fact that we all use DE/SE razors with just one hand. It was quite a few weeks before I discovered shaving forums that had advice on using and maintaining straight razors - and I never even considered that people would post videos on YouTube. By that stage I was pretty much set in my ways.

Merkurologist

Forum GOD!
Last Sunday I thought I'd try to shave with my dominant hand only and I did, it brought memories of when I first started with s straight razor a few years ago. It's OK shaving with dominant hand but I prefer using two hands to be honest, I feel it's the safer option for me :)

I watched my video again and I really made a mess of it....shaving under the nose its a mystery....my apologies.

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
Last Sunday I thought I'd try to shave with my dominant hand only and I did, it brought memories of when I first started with s straight razor a few years ago. It's OK shaving with dominant hand but I prefer using two hands to be honest, I feel it's the safer option for me :)

I watched my video again and I really made a mess of it....shaving under the nose its a mystery....my apologies.
Under the nose is a challenge if you have hair on the columella. My tool of choice is a Shick E type injector. Yes, you could do it with a straight, but why? Bragging rights goes out the door with a nice slice of the nose and everyone sees it..LOL!!

Merkurologist

Forum GOD!
Under the nose is a challenge if you have hair on the columella. My tool of choice is a Shick E type injector. Yes, you could do it with a straight, but why? Bragging rights goes out the door with a nice slice of the nose and everyone sees it..LOL!!
That's not it.... I can shave under the nose with a SR/ shavette alright.