Straight Of The Day

Jrzy_Hillbilly

Über Member
Monday NOvember 25

No Repeat (mostly) NOvember. No repeats so far except for scuttle, blades, and alum. Up today, one of my special straight razors, a Snail Forge Ottoman razor - a modern take on the rare Wade & Butcher Ottoman Egyptian razor made in the early 1890's.

Bowl/Scuttle - GP12
Soap - HeV Cognac and Cuban Cigars
Brush - Paladin PK47
Blade - n/a
Razor - Snail Forge Ottoman
Post Shave - OSMA Pierre alum, HeV Cognac and Cuban Cigars Balm

Shave rating 4 of 5

I really like this razor. I think I messed up with the soap. The lather was over bubbly and kind of dry and caused a less than optimal shave. I did 2 passes, WTG and XTG, with my Ottoman razor but the lather was dry and the shave was just not good. So I cleaned off the Ottoman and put it away and did a third and final pass XTG with my Red Tip. That pass wasn't great either but the stubble was gone although my face hurt. The alum was a little more vocal that I like. The Cognac and Cuban Cigars balm soothed my face some.

Happy NOvember and great shaves everyone.
IMG_1118.jpeg

Nisse

Old geezer
_DSC3500.jpg

Klas Törnblom in Sandvik steel, maybe just had a bad day honing or this Sandvik steel is really really hard because setting bevel I just could not make things happen, resulting edge and shave was not what I had in mind when starting the restoration of this blade, hoping more patience and elbow grease will do the trick next time

edit: need to get a background in silver because this one in black is not doing shiny blades any favours

edit 2: had one more go at honing and this time edge is feeling much better but the proof is in the pudding ie the shave tomorrow morning

Last edited:

Barrington

Forum GOD!
Mappin Brothers wedge
Clean smooth shave but something seemed missing or is it just psychological? This has happened twice now on different razors after trying one of Jamie's edges.
Think I know the answer, but bringing myself to outlay that sort of money makes me double think....🙄
IMG_1894.JPG

May have to invest in a Shehiro Gokumyo sometime soon.
Thanks Jamie haha😉
Or is it just your technique or both....

JamieM

Extreme sharpness is ephemeral!
Mappin Brothers wedge
Clean smooth shave but something seemed missing or is it just psychological? This has happened twice now on different razors after trying one of Jamie's edges.
Think I know the answer, but bringing myself to outlay that sort of money makes me double think....🙄View attachment 59302
May have to invest in a Shehiro Gokumyo sometime soon.
Thanks Jamie haha😉
Or is it just your technique or both....
£200 well spent James, the Suehiro Gokumyo is a wonderful stone so smooth it amazes me how fast it will cut for a 20K stone, it's so hard and dense it's totally pointless soaking the stone, I know someone who weighed the stone then soaked it for 30 minutes then re-weighed the stone it didn't take on any water, that will tell you a lot about that stone, it's more like a natural stone physically, but with the absolute exact number you only get with a synthetic, which always appeals to my logical brain.:)

oscar11

Forum GOD!
Puma
Salters hard soap
Omega Evo

This old blade has seen a lot of honest use and it's still a pleasure to use. I like the Evo synthetic a little more every time I use it. The Evo was an impulse buy and I just finished few brushes last week, 3 synthetics and a badger that I haven't tried yet. Have a good one.