Stirling Razor

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
Well, for those that are interested in this particular razor from Stirling, it has been mentioned that the SS razor in the works would not be a razor recommended for beginners as both base plates have been designed to be a bit more aggressive/efficient feeling. Which to me is a good thing as we're looking perhaps at positive blade exposure and/or neutral at the least. So, I'm assuming that the razor will be designed and made for the more experienced wet shaver. Besides, most newcomers into the DE world start out on the milder side and progressively work their way up the aggressive scale until finding something that works consistently for them.

I'm liking it more and more. And a polished version should look wickedly good....

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
Just got around to watching the video. I like the handle and I like the head, but combined they become a monstrosity. They just do not work together!
The head looks like it could loose weight too, both the top cap and base plate. Some nice features, but it looks very much like a prototype to me..

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
I've become numb to all the new offerings. Edwin Jagger is coming out with their own SS razor. I find their DE89 way too mild and only use it as a travel razor since I am not likely to cut myself with it and don't care if it gets lost while traveling. I have no desire to buy one of their mild razors. Maybe it's not the same as the DE89 but it doesn't matter. I'm not excited about a Stirling although I'd rather buy theirs with it's aggressive blade gap than the EJ. I was interested in the Karve which is brass. But I read someone's review who said the head is quite large. I prefer smaller heads that are more nimble. My current favorite razor is a vintage Gillette New Deluxe. It just works amazingly well for me. I've looked into the Ikon Deluxe but have found reason to believe it is not as smooth as the New Deluxe. Therefore it's no longer on my list. I'm actually happy with what I have. Sure, it took me 30+ razors to find what I like. But at least I can sell most of them and either get most of my money back or make money on the deal. And I bought a second New Deluxe which I was able to snag for a good price. They don't come up often but when they do, I'm watching. If I can find a third one I should be all set for the rest of my life. Or until my face decides to not like that razor anymore, which is not uncommon. But hey, I have another 29 backups to try all over again.

sgrdddy

Forum GOD!
Just got around to watching the video. I like the handle and I like the head, but combined they become a monstrosity. They just do not work together!
The head looks like it could loose weight too, both the top cap and base plate. Some nice features, but it looks very much like a prototype to me..
I also think that they don't work well together. Maybe Rod shaves by holding the end of the razor, I don't know. But that skinny part near the head is sure not my style.

However, I don't mind the bulky head, if it yields a cheaper price point, due to less milling. Stirling is kjnown for offering great value. So if their razor is less than $50, I'll take that chunky head with no problem. It'll look better on a different handle anyway.

pimple8

Forum GOD!
Thanks for the heads up, looks interesting. Their brushes were a disappointment for me, shed like crazy. Soaps are wonderful, wonder how the razor will be reviewed.
I have 3 Synthetic brushes from them for over a year now. I lost maybe 2 hairs in total so far.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
Rod at Stirling stated that the razor will definitely have positive blade exposure. So, for new wet shavers or those that prefer a mild shave, this razor might not be for them. I think the razor was made and designed for the more experienced user who likes/prefers to have a bit more feel and audible feedback from their razors and shaves. Certainly nothing wrong with that but, it does limit the group of potential buyers. If the price is kept relatively low and affordable there will be many that will give it a go, newb or experienced. The chance at attaining a quality razor made from a premium alloy is tough for anyone to resist especially today when everyone wants to be the first and have an opinion about a particular product. And those that know understand that Stirling is synonymous for producing good products at value pricing. That's a tough combo to beat and if their new razor follows suit with their current philosophy of affordable products, they could have a potential winner here.

At the end of the day, it's a win, win for the wet shaving group. Can't complain about that....

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
A great write up and read from the gentleman testing one of the prototypes on the SS Stirling razor. I’ve included the link as it’s very well written. I apologize to the mods if I’ve over stepped any boundaries or rules. I just think it’s worth a good look and read. If the mods need to delete it, so be it. I have no issue at all.....

https://damnfineshave.com/thread-stirling-soap-316-stainless-steel-razor?page=4
Nothing against linking to other forums. We're all Gentleman here :thumbsup:

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
A quick update from Stirling concerning their 316L SS razor. I asked a couple of questions on another forum and this was his response. Pretty good news indeed at least on this side of the Atlantic. I copied and pasted below.....

GlazedBoker I should have a better idea by the end of next week. I'm really working to get the machinist to pick up the paces. I've got six handles of various finish levels in front of me today . What is likely going to happen, is that we will offer a completely unpolished level (other than normal buffing to remove burrs), which should be in the $100 range and it will only come with our standard handle options, as the art-deco handles have too aggressive of a knurling to be used with out quite a bit of buffing to take the bite away. We'll also have an Electro-polished version (maybe not in the first round) that will also use the standard handles. The 316L handles (Fort Worth, Dallas, and Austin) will only be available in the manually polished version that will be hand polished up to a mirror finish, and will include laser etching of serial numbers and designs on the side of the base plate. That's been the real hold up so far. Well, that and deciding on packaging. As these are high end items, the packaging should be in line with that so we're furiously trying to find something that meets that need without adding a huge cost to production. I'd hoped to be ready to release them by 1 October, but that's not going to be feasible. It's okay though. I'd rather folks be mad that an amazing razor took a little longer than to have them mad that we put a mediocre razor out too soon.

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
After buying their brush I won't be buying anything Stirling apart from their soap.
I agree about Stirlings soaps as they are very good performers regardless of price. I can’t speak about their brushes as I’ve never used one. And the razor well, we’re just going to have to wait and see how it hits the market and how it performs. Preliminary results and reports from prototype testing are promising. Keeping my fingers crossed that it stays that way and I think it will.