Stirling Razor

D

Deleted member 1881

I have found the perfect match for Stirling Boar brush. It is the Omega 80097.

But it doesn't lose any hairs..

Wayne

Forum Sod
Is anyone else no longer excited when another SS razor is released?
Me. When I started wet shaving it, like my other love Northern Soul, seemed underground and different, razors like the records I collect were released in small numbers, hard to get, only the ones in the know had them and wait lists were worth getting on in the hope that in 6 months you may get that prized razor. Artisan soaps were eagerly waited for and talk of blades in hushed tones on secret forums fuelled spending. Now everyone and their Dog seems to be making an LE soap for the inevitable large price hike and shavers have so much choice that there are hardly any posts worth getting excited about on forums. I remember seeing photos of peoples collections like Nishy and hoping I would have one similar. I've seen a drop in posts on here and other forums, it all seems very quiet. £300+ for a machined razor is now a normal price point, if you look at the last ones to come to market Raw and Carbon. Raw is no more, I don't know how long Carbon will be around. You can't give an ATT away!!! There was a time when we salivated over an ATT release. Shaving has changed and we really are spoilt for choice.

Last edited:

neko

Drinking a nice cup of tea
The Stirling head looks extremely bulky. I hope they re-work it and slim down the proportions.

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
£300+ for a machined razor is now a normal price point, if you look at the last ones to come to market Raw and Carbon.
I blame Wolfman, rabid demand drive his prices up and now everyone thinks they can do the same. I honestly believe that Raw folded because the razors were over-priced, I wanted one but there was no way I was going to pay £300 for it.

Of all the SS razors that have come and gone I've settled on the PILS and AS-D2 as my favourites and they were two of the very first.

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
I blame Wolfman, rabid demand drive his prices up and now everyone thinks they can do the same. I honestly believe that Raw folded because the razors were over-priced, I wanted one but there was no way I was going to pay £300 for it.

Of all the SS razors that have come and gone I've settled on the PILS and AS-D2 as my favourites and they were two of the very first.
This is a direct quote from Rod over at Stirling himself.....

"I'm still gathering quotes. The machinist I worked with on the design simply needs too much for the production run. The razor would be in the $170 to $190 range if I went with his quote, and I really want to be able to make it less expensive than that. If I can't keep it the mirror finish version under $150, I just won't do it. There's already enough razors in the 200 plus range".

This was an answer to a question that was presented to him back in early June as he was still trying to lock down a shop that would produce the razor at the price point he was aiming for. Stirling is trying to accomplish something here that is an anomaly with todays artisan razor producers when you take market trends and inflation into account. They're still trying to keep it affordable and still produce a product that is comparable in finish and quality to the upper tier artisan razor makers.

Will it be successful and be able to satisfy the regular shaving joe to the most fussy and scrutinizing wet shavers across the planet? No one knows yet and if it is a failure it won't be because of a lack of effort on Stirlings part.

All I can say is that this razor will potentially be priced from at least a 1/3 to 1/2 off of the higher end razors being offered by the established artisans for a similar, if not equal product in finish, alloy and craftsmanship. That's saying something. Not because it's being produced in the USA (which I take pride in, I won't lie) as I could care less if a Buddhist Monk and 3 sherpas were cutting away on a 3&1 lathe high up in Tibet in the Himalayas in a cave monastery 2,500' from the summit of Kula Kangri. If it can be produced exceptionally well and still be offered at near value pricing for the masses, I'm paying attention.

We just need the razor to be in our hands to find out if it cuts the mustard or not....

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
This is a direct quote from Rod over at Stirling himself.....

"I'm still gathering quotes. The machinist I worked with on the design simply needs too much for the production run. The razor would be in the $170 to $190 range if I went with his quote, and I really want to be able to make it less expensive than that. If I can't keep it the mirror finish version under $150, I just won't do it. There's already enough razors in the 200 plus range".

This was an answer to a question that was presented to him back in early June as he was still trying to lock down a shop that would produce the razor at the price point he was aiming for. Stirling is trying to accomplish something here that is an anomaly with todays artisan razor producers when you take market trends and inflation into account. They're still trying to keep it affordable and still produce a product that is comparable in finish and quality to the upper tier artisan razor makers.

Will it be successful and be able to satisfy the regular shaving joe to the most fussy and scrutinizing wet shavers across the planet? No one knows yet and if it is a failure it won't be because of a lack of effort on Stirlings part.

All I can say is that this razor will potentially be priced from at least a 1/3 to 1/2 off of the higher end razors being offered by the established artisans for a similar, if not equal product in finish, alloy and craftsmanship. That's saying something. Not because it's being produced in the USA (which I take pride in, I won't lie) as I could care less if a Buddhist Monk and 3 sherpas were cutting away on a 3&1 lathe high up in Tibet in the Himalayas in a cave monastery 2,500' from the summit of Kula Kangri. If it can be produced exceptionally well and still be offered at near value pricing for the masses, I'm paying attention.

We just need the razor to be in our hands to find out if it cuts the mustard or not....
I know this one won’t be for me because Rod's making it more aggressive than I like, but I do applaud the fact that he’s trying to keep the price fair.

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
A quick look and shave from Rod over at Stirling with their new Stainless razor. Nice sounding shave...

View: https://youtu.be/1xNlQ8E2uow

Other news is that the price has been confirmed to be roughly around $200 US for the mirror polished version. A matte finished razor will be available at about $100 US. Just don’t know if it will be released at a later date. In the Q&A with Stirling over at Reddit this past weekend it seemed like the mirror finish would be available first from Stirling. At least that’s what it seemed that Rod was alluding too. I was hoping for $150 or less for their mirror finish razor but, that’s not going to happen. I still want to back Stirling so, I guess when the matte finish razor is ready I’ll be on that one.....

slantman

Forum GOD!
Italian barber managed to create a quality machined stainless steel razor at a good price with the Game Changer. Hopefully the Stirling stainless can rival it.
I believe that a lot of Canadian businesses get subsidized by the government. Italian Barber could be one of them. Do you really think a 316 stainless steel razor made in Canada could be sold for a profit for 60usd. I doubt it.

Might be a good shaver..but not a fan of the handle.
I have enough razors to last me but if my impulse control falters..I could be up for another razor..unlikely it will be this one, though.
Not to knock Stirling, I really like their soaps..great value and performance !

Last edited: