Starlink

dc68

-------------
Finally gave up with BT, because of my rural location we only receive 2MB download. Just set up Starlink, 178MB!

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
Where did you get this? We do get a blazing 12MB in good weather, but it's a bit pants.

dc68

-------------
Starlink, its the Elon Musk satellite broadband. Expensive set up costs, but excellent service.

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
Found the website, it's now saying £75 a month. As it stands ours isn't bad enough that it would be worth making the jump, but I would if I was only getting 2MB.

dc68

-------------
Its £75 including VAT (£62) BT want at least £30 plus VAT and I doubt I would get more than 4MB as we are stuck with copper and cannot get fibre.

Zorro

Forum GOD!
1669320489079.png

... Being in a very urban environment, we are able to take advantage of Virgin Medias Gigabit service. Its normally about £45 a month, but i get a discounted bundle so am paying about £25 - £30 per month for this by my reckoning.

Dont usually need anything like this speed, but its great for downloading games from services like Steam. I downloaded GTA5 a while ago in about 20mins i think and was getting 98 Megabytes per second

slapo

It's... alive!
View attachment 125048
... Being in a very urban environment, we are able to take advantage of Virgin Medias Gigabit service. Its normally about £45 a month, but i get a discounted bundle so am paying about £25 - £30 per month for this by my reckoning.

Dont usually need anything like this speed, but its great for downloading games from services like Steam. I downloaded GTA5 a while ago in about 20mins i think and was getting 98 Megabytes per second
Used to have Virgin, but the service became pretty unreliable and slow during peak hours, so we moved on to Community Fibre and been pretty happy since.

Zorro

Forum GOD!
Used to have Virgin, but the service became pretty unreliable and slow during peak hours, so we moved on to Community Fibre and been pretty happy since.
I think that come renewal time i will try to downgrade to the 200mb service, as it is plenty more than enough for 95% of internet use.

Even streaming services like Netflix can cope well with less than 10mb,