Splaying -> painting brush help

D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
Last couple of days have been a bit better. Not flinging as much lather around, but still running down the handle.

I think I'm loading more heavily without even trying to because of the larger, stiffer knot, but maybe adding water more slowly is the way to go. Always felt that adding drops of water was too slow and inconsistent, so have been using a small measuring spoon and adding 10-15 tops at once.
Some soaps you add drops of water and nothing changes. So dense!

Good method this.
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
I didn't like the original knot in my Alpha, splay was terrible and it was far too stiff for a synthetic brush. I do not covet backbone in brushes. I swapped the knot for a 28mm Synbad and it is now one of my favorite brushes, it does everything right.
 

sev-8

Forum GOD!
Seem to be getting used to using the brush, have a lot less lather flying around. It's not enjoyable yet, but less frustrating than when I first got it through taking on some of the technique recommendations on the thread.

Might add a timberwolf knot to my next Maggards order so I've got options. I do like my Synbad 24mm, but really wanted something with the scrub/texture of a Mühle STF.

On the up side, it's using up a lot more soap than my other brushes, so looking forward to empty soap tubs!
 

sev-8

Forum GOD!
Finally got around to measuring the glue bump which is around 9mm, I think. First time I've had to measure it, so think I've done it properly. Stuck a toothpick into the middle of the knot and compared with the loft from the top of the handle.
 
  • Like
Reactions: p.b
D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
Seem to be getting used to using the brush, have a lot less lather flying around. It's not enjoyable yet, but less frustrating than when I first got it through taking on some of the technique recommendations on the thread.

Might add a timberwolf knot to my next Maggards order so I've got options. I do like my Synbad 24mm, but really wanted something with the scrub/texture of a Mühle STF.

On the up side, it's using up a lot more soap than my other brushes, so looking forward to empty soap tubs!
Get the Yaqi Timberwolf.
 

WildVieLong

Forum GOD!
First and foremost I'm a natural brush guy. Badger, Horse and Boar (in that order). I tend to like backbone, but my favorite brush in synthetic is a Plisson, (yes from them, not a knock-off knot). It's a great painter. When full of lather and you paint with it and set it on the vanity, the bristles will all still be pointed one way from your last paint stroke. It's a beautiful painter. Bob Ross would have loved it.

I think for synthetics the stiffer, spring-i-er ones work better for circles and the less stiff, less springy for painting and you need to buy accordingly. Which is relatively easy with synthetics as the prices are generally pretty low.
 
Top