Soap list

Stonec0ld

Forum GOD!
Phoenix & Beau are decent. I have Trafalgar and it's good.

Everyone has a favourite brand but for me I'd go with Ariana & Evans, Barrister and Mann, and maybe Wickhams. Stirling are all really good and a little cheaper.

All can be found from UK stores easily except B&M which are a little tricky but can be ordered from Maggards easily.

https://www.agentshave.co.uk/ for P&B and Wickhams
https://www.aegroominguk.co.uk/ for Ariana & Evans
https://shavingtime.co.uk/ for Stirling and WSP

Soaps I can recommend are:

Tallow: Tabac/ Fine
Valobra/Czech&Speake
Eufros
DR Harris
Vitos
MWF
OSP
LPL
Stirling

Vegetable: Wickham 1912
MdC
SV
LPL
Proraso

Last edited:

sev-8

Forum GOD!
I've got a tub of Trafalgar and it's good, but not 100% sure the scent is for me. It was hard for me to imagine what it smelled like from the description. To be honest though, I think I prefer Catie's Bubbles in terms of performance.

There's over 75% left in the tub (I started weighing my soaps when new), so let me know if you want to try it out.

pearse85

Forum GOD!
I've got a tub of Trafalgar and it's good, but not 100% sure the scent is for me. It was hard for me to imagine what it smelled like from the description. To be honest though, I think I prefer Catie's Bubbles in terms of performance.

There's over 75% left in the tub (I started weighing my soaps when new), so let me know if you want to try it out.
So how would you explain the scent:D

sev-8

Forum GOD!
So how would you explain the scent:D
So I've said before that my nose is below par, but I'd describe it as salty forest with the forest scent being quite aromatic. That's what the main components on the label suggest it'd be, but in my mind I didn't know what the samphire would add (eaten it but never sniffed it) and if North Sea would smell different to any other sea. Perhaps it does, but to my uncultured nose, it's plain "salty"

A terrible description, but maybe others can do better :)

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
Of the ones you mentioned I have Stirling Coniferous and P&B Trafalgar. Both are top performers, Coniferous smells exactly like a wet pine forest. Trafalgar is difficult to describe but I really like it. I bought Albion at the same time though and like Albion a bit better.

Jon D

Forum GOD!
I found the Executive Shaving Natural Shaving cream a step down from some of my other creams and soaps, it was the first cream/soap I tried.

Pros: lovely strong smell, lathers quickly, easily and voluminously.

Cons: Less slick then some other creams/soaps (as soon as I tried my second and third soap/creams: Baume and Extro Cosmesi I noticed a step up).

It sets my skin off and is slightly drying. Initially this was subtle, as I shaved before showering, but then I shaved before bed one night and woke with the the irritation and the feeling of one of the creams ingredients still on my face.

Burgundy

Forum GOD!
I’m probably far too late and it’s probably not the advice you want to hear. Don’t buy anything. Use what you have and get to know them really well.

Regardless of whatever anyone says, you’ve got some brilliant gear. Whack one of the Prorasos in your travel bag and enjoy the other four; it’ll take you until Christmas at least to work your way through them.

At that point, you can work out which rabbit hole to fall down. Is it creams? Is it hard soaps? Croaps?

I think newbies are more at risk of throwing serious money down the sink (literally) in this ‘interest’ than in times gone by - and with less chance of mitigating losses on the used market. Enjoy but tread fairly carefully.