Shibumi "Straight" Razor

D

Deleted member 1881

I have no experience with straight razors at all but this one caught my attention. I want to try it, but I'm afraid of cutting myself so hard, that I wont be recognizable even from my wife!

But the price is so good. I don't like the shape of the shavettes, so this one would be a good choice, because it even takes half blades, so I could use many until I find the one that fits the razor.

I really like the design and definitely it won't break the bank.

https://www.rasoigoodfellas.com/en/...bera-stile-giapponese-a-lame-intercambiabili/

Rob99

Forum GOD!
My experience is that a straight razor is smoother than a shavette or a razor with interchangeble blades

Cons. Last ones are a bit more sharper. And the chances are that you’re gonna cut yourself.

The pro’s. You don’t have any maintenance. No honing or stropping is required.

Big pro. The price. This is a bargain

CastleShave

Legendary Member
I have no experience with straight razors at all but this one caught my attention. I want to try it, but I'm afraid of cutting myself so hard, that I wont be recognizable even from my wife!

But the price is so good. I don't like the shape of the shavettes, so this one would be a good choice, because it even takes half blades, so I could use many until I find the one that fits the razor.

I really like the design and definitely it won't break the bank.

https://www.rasoigoodfellas.com/en/...bera-stile-giapponese-a-lame-intercambiabili/
I think this is a great start to test the waters but I would recommend a gold dollar start if you intend on getting into the full experience same price point. You can get good ones from Anthony Esposito, Razor Emporium, & FirstCanadianShave all honed to perfection. First Canadian will be cheaper though as the Euro is worth more than CAD. Randy’s edges are crazy sharp as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 1881

My experience is that a straight razor is smoother than a shavette or a razor with interchangeble blades

Cons. Last ones are a bit more sharper. And the chances are that you’re gonna cut yourself.

The pro’s. You don’t have any maintenance. No honing or stropping is required.

Big pro. The price. This is a bargain
Thanks for the reply. I like the fact that I won't honing and stropping it.

The blade is steady on this kind of razors, or does it move when shaving?

2hot 2trot

Forum GOD!
The first time I tried a shavette of sorts was a Kamisori style Feather Artist Club and I cut myself to shreds. I did persevere but there were some mishaps along the way shall we say.

The only advise I would give is treat it with kid gloves and move very slowly. I personally think straights are a much more pleasant experience to master.

Last edited:

Tzimisce

Forum GOD!
Good suggestion! But I can't shave easily with this thing!
This is what I was thinking till I tried.
Feather AC helped me a lot, the SS head is like training wheels.
Ok, it is a little spooky watching yourself at the mirror going ATG under the chin but you can get used to it. :D
You are going to get some cuts under your nose at first but we are MEN AND WE DO NOT FEEL PAIN!

Ok... just use your DE down there until you feel familiar with the idea to cut your mustache area, or grow a mustache :laugh:

Nisse

Old geezer
As for shavettes I have a Dovo, a Böker and a Kai Captain, no problem switching between these three and a dozen straight razors in my rotation, enjoying all of them, I do not find them different beasts, I find that they have a lot in common though bragging rights are strictly limited to straigth razors :)

Last edited:

constant

Forum GOD!
take castleshave advice get the gd and get the shavette also and use both then you can decide on what you like i use my feather maybe 4 or 5 times a year and it always amazes me how smooth it is i think that kamisori type one may be a bit tricky if you not used one before