Shaving musts

Discussion in 'General Shaving' started by Tommo, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Tommo

Tommo Guru

Due to being the lucky winner of a recent PIF I have a selection of soaps on the way to me. Including arko and tabac. Two staple soaps I have not yet tried despite being into this hobby for a couple of years now.
    This got me thinking what other shaving musts have I not tried? The type of thing you'd expect every wet shaver worth his salt to have tried atleast once. I'm not talking unobtainium soaps or razors where you have to know a man who knows a man to get a chance to part with huge wads of cash.

So what shaving products have you not tried that you really should have? Or what product do you think every enthusiast should try, at least once?

MPH, Bizzyberry and Mikey J like this.
  2. halvor

halvor Esquire

I’d say the classic (barbershop) splashes, including Pinaud Clubman, Williams / Aqua Velva, Floïd. And surely others. Not because they’re the best but because they are the classics.

Edit, just thought of Brut, Old Spice and English Leather AS well. (See what I did there :wink: )

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  3. R181

R181 Forum GOD!

I'd say a GEM SE, a Gillette OC and a Gillette adjustable because they are classics. For brushes I'd say an inexpensive boar brush like the Omega 10066 because it is a classic type of shave brush. For shave soaps/creams some of the inexpensive mundane ones that have served generations of shavers well because they are classics. Lets not for get a straight razor for a real classic. That type of razor has served well for 300 odd years and continues to do so for those who use them still.

Bob

Tommo, Bizzyberry and Rowlers like this.
  4. Rowlers

Rowlers Massive Member Staff Member

Deffo try the Gillette's that are easily available, especially the Fatboy, :wink::wink:.
    Some of the classic soaps, e.g. MWF.. there is a lot I have still to sample!

Shaverrific666, Tommo and Bizzyberry like this.
  5. DamianJ

DamianJ Legendary Member

I've not tried many of the soaps such as arko or tabac. Given the scent reviews I doubt I will either.

I'd say everyone needs to try a DE89 and a R41 at some point.

I want to try more of the classic aftershave splashes mentioned having only tried Floid of the ones mentioned so far.

Acer89, Shaverrific666, Tommo and 2 others like this.
  6. Rowlers

You must try Arko @DamianJ! Tabac too! Arko scent is rather medicinal, but pleasant I find. Tabac is nice too, if a little "old". I can sort you out a sample of Arko, but not Tabac?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  7. Mr Tee

Mr Tee Veteran

Tabac reminds me of the 1980's, in a good way. Use it weekly.

8. DamianJ

DamianJ Legendary Member

Go on then Lee, I'll take you up on your kind offer of the arko sample. PM on it's way.

Shaverrific666 and Rowlers like this.
  9. Wayne

Wayne Forum Sod

Mitchells Wool Fat. You have to have/try it. I find it wonderful, nothing gives post shave like it.

10. MPH

MPH Guru

I've been beaten to it, but I was going to say MWF too. You should get some, get hugely frustrated that the bugger refuses to lather, then PIF it and move on.

It will be a total waste of your time, but something all ATG members should go through as a rite of passage!!!! :D

Thug, Nishy, p.b and 4 others like this.
  11. Wayne

Wayne Forum Sod

Utter tosh! MWF lathers like a beast.

chris.hale, Grarea, Thug and 4 others like this.
  12. Rowlers

Correct Wayne!

13. MPH

MPH Guru

Wrong wrong wrong!!!! MWF sucks!!!! Lol.

Anyway... Shouldn't derail the thread entirely, but couldn't resist having a pop at 'the fat!!!!

14. Tommo

Tommo Guru

I completely agree that everyone should have tried MWF. it was one of the first soaps I bought. Never had a problem lathering it.

I think lathering MWF is the universe's way of telling you if you should shave or not. If you can't you should go back to a mach 3 and a can of goo or just grow a beard!

chris.hale, mbarno, halvor and 2 others like this.
  15. As MWF has already been spoken about may i suggest another powerhouse of a soap..VALOBRA!
    Magnificent tallow soap, a must IMHO..one of the very best shave soaps you can buy for performance, lather-ability, post shave ect. Admittedly the scents are nothing special, but that shouldn't dissuade you. Wonderful product.:thumbsup:

halvor and Wayne like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice