Shavette users: Which blades do you use?

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
Put the razor flat on the skin, and move it away for about the same as the width of the spine of the razor.
I agree, lay it flat. Remove the blade and practice. Just do the sides the first few attempts. There might be some tugging until you get the angle right. Don't try to do too much per pass.

Another option is to do a first "knock down" pass with a safety razor and finish with your DX.

A good slick soap with glycern helps the razor glide. Wet lather is more important for a straight of any variety. THere was an old Wade and Butcher straight thar read, "If you later well, "I'll shave well"

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
I just got off the Try A Blade site. He carries a sampler of half blades for shavetts and also the Artist Club brand. I have no financial with this business except for past purchases which were always pleasent.

Geordieboy

Über Member
I just got off the Try A Blade site. He carries a sampler of half blades for shavetts and also the Artist Club brand. I have no financial with this business except for past purchases which were always pleasent.
We're a capitalist lot. There's no shame in getting good blades, and a financial interest.

Zwilling

Kamisori shaver
When I still used Feather shavettes, I used Pro Supers in SS and DX. I have now sold the Feather razors and have gone back to DE shavette (Focus R48) which I use with a variety of blades, often Nacets and GSBs. I get great shaves with either shavette type, and I figured I could forgo the expensive AC blades. Straight razor is cooler though 😎

Charcoal

Soothsayer of the Obscure
I don’t think about it too much. Last time I used .5 Lord SS DE blade.

When I was learning (I still am honestly) how to use a shavette I would plan on just using it for part of the shave and finish with a DE razor. I’m betting everyone does that thou. Yesterday was the first time I did an entire shave with one. Yay me! lol

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
I don’t think about it too much. Last time I used .5 Lord SS DE blade.

When I was learning (I still am honestly) how to use a shavette I would plan on just using it for part of the shave and finish with a DE razor. I’m betting everyone does that thou. Yesterday was the first time I did an entire shave with one. Yay me! lol
Using two razors is a great idea.

Merkurologist

Forum GOD!
I only have ACs and I use Schicks blades, I tried Feathers when I first started but I much prefer the Schick
I decided to rest the Schicks Proline and give the Feather Pro a second chance..... after 6 shaves I think I got used to these blades..... my usable stock of AC blades stands now at close to 25 years.

Over the last 12 months AC shavettes are by far the predominant choice of shaving tool. I can't see myself ever going back to using DE/ SE as the predominant razor, not even SR can compete.

Freddiethestaffie

Forum GOD!
I decided to rest the Schicks Proline and give the Feather Pro a second chance..... after 6 shaves I think I got used to these blades..... my usable stock of AC blades stands now at close to 25 years.

Over the last 12 months AC shavettes are by far the predominant choice of shaving tool. I can't see myself ever going back to using DE/ SE as the predominant razor, not even SR can compete.
I only ever use my feather ss or kai captain standard nowadays.