Shavemac synthetic brush

Mr Bigmem

Forum GOD!
IMO if thats a
Have a look here for instance, Mem http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=50787 A side by side Simpson - Epsilon.
Thanks @halvor I was aware of the Epsion Synthetics but was more confused by the statement "made to measure by Giftsandcare" I really didn't know Giftsandcare were custom setting knots or customising any of their standard brushes. :confused: Personally I think it was a risk asking for a loft so low on this knot when it was only a 26mm. On these type of Gen 4 fiber knots unless i'm holding it in hand i'd wait to read reviews. This is not a synbad or cashmere type fiber

Mr Bigmem

Forum GOD!
@Mr Bigmem Yes, at the time I asked Giftsandcare to make one for me in a very bulb shape. Two or three years ago, I don't remember.
If I'm not wrong, it's a 27x49. Superb knot, truly beautiful - the best I have ever tried.
Wow I never knew Giftsandcare did custom brushes. And looking at the comparison pic of you Shavemac and Epsilon i'd get some calipers out and measure those knots. They do not look like a mil difference in diameter.

Like I said before It's very difficult to me to write up a partial review because I'm completely disappointed by both the performance and the quality of this new (?) synthetic knot made by Shavemac. Perhaps my expectetions were simply too high.

About the handle (personalized):
No any issues. I just remember this shape slightly bigger.
Great looking, etc.

About the knot (asked Shavemac a 26x50 Bulb):
- Cheap quality looking, bad choice of colours?, unwatchable;
- Cheap quality of fibres in the style of SimFix, Omega 46806 (not the other models), Whipped Dog (his 2d gen.) and some other brands/artisans - you can feel it while the knot is both dry and wet;
- The bulb shape is similar to a D01 2Band knot;
- Medium (high spectrum of an elusive scale) backbone; you would not get a strong backbone neither if set at 48mm in my opinion, I don't get why at the moment;
- High density, similar to Duke/Chubby.

Now I'm thinking whatalese to say, sorry guys.

Last edited:

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Like I said before It's very difficult to me to write up a partial review because I'm completely disappointed by both the performance and the quality of this new (?) synthetic knot made by Shavemac. Perhaps my expectetions were simply too high.

About the handle (personalized):
No any issues. I just remember this shape slightly bigger.
Great looking, etc.

About the knot (asked Shavemac a 26x50 Bulb):
- Cheap quality looking, bad choice of colours?, unwatchable;
- Cheap quality of fibres in the style of SimFix, Omega 46806 (not the other models), Whipped Dog (his 2d gen.) and some other brands/artisans - you can feel it while the knot is both dry and wet;
- The bulb shape is similar to a D01 2Band knot;
- Medium (high spectrum of an elusive scale) backbone; you would not get a strong backbone neither if set at 48mm in my opinion, I don't get why at the moment;
- High density, similar to Duke/Chubby.

Now I'm thinking whatalese to say, sorry guys.
No need to apologise my friend, I should be apologising to you making it sound great, as was my experience. I guess this proves how different we all perceive items. It will be interesting to see how others find the pass around brush.

Mr Bigmem

Forum GOD!
:ohmy:
If the photos are 100% representative I can see why you'd be disappointed.

It looks TINY for a 26mm knot (the Simpson is only 23mm and that felt small) and the shape is half formed. I hope it works better than it looks.
This is what i'm saying that diameter set that low should not look that tiny for a 26mm compared to the other knots. I'd get l caliper out

Reactions: p.b

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
The Shavemac looks more dense than the Simpson knot, but if it's 2 different fibres, many factors could be influencing the above statement. I did loose one hair with the pass around. I have also checked my VLB again, brick hard backbone at 42mm and more splay than a Tuxedo (30mm) when set at 58mm. So loft should make a difference, which makes sense; no.of bristles/area or mass/volume.