Shavemac classification

Blackmass

Forum GOD!
A couple of questions about the ‘Unique’ Knot. I’ve seen this type mentioned on the forums but not the shavemac website. Can you tell me about this knot please? Is it only available through group buys and what are the characteristics of this grade of hair/knot?

Cheers
Rob

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
A couple of questions about the ‘Unique’ Knot. I’ve seen this type mentioned on the forums but not the shavemac website. Can you tell me about this knot please? Is it only available through group buys and what are the characteristics of this grade of hair/knot?

Cheers
Rob
@Nishy should be able to answer this?

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member

Cheers
Rob

Hey Rob they are best described as being somewhat between a silvertip 2 band and a DO1 2 band silvertip with regards to density, even though density is the same as a regular 2 band.

The tip feel should not be as stiff as the DO1. (which IMO need a period of softening before all scritch is gone when swirling on the face) The tips should infact feel like a standard 2 band silvertip, being super soft cloud like, the density aids clumping allowing for more if the tips to become apparent when swirling, these tips if soft and luxurious will provide gel tips.

With regards to availability best person to ask would be Bernd, you can email him on: info@shavemac.de

Blackmass

Forum GOD!
Hey Rob they are best described as being somewhat between a silvertip 2 band and a DO1 2 band silvertip with regards to density.

The tip feel should not be as stiff as the DO1. (which IMO need a period of softening before all scritch is gone when swirling on the face) The tips should infact feel like a standard 2 band silvertip, being super soft cloud like, the density aids clumping allowing for more if the tips to become apparent when swirling, these tips if soft and luxurious will provide gel tips.

With regards to availability best person to ask would be Bernd, you can email him on: info@shavemac.de
May thanks for the explanation, much appreciated.

I've sent Bernd an email tonight about sorting out my custom brush. I really need to get it ordered.

Thalasos

Forum GOD!
Just have read it. Such an Encyclopaedia kind of knowledge send from an airport "full-stiff" chair. Thanks for sharing, cause is a worth value reading with no limited date. As you mention earlier in the article about the good quality of the pure badger from this brand, I would like to try one.

R181

Grumpy old man
Thank you for taking the time to put together the excellent tutorial on Shavemac knots.

I have a Simpsons QEII Jubilee Manchurian and liked the feel of the knot. I contacted Bernd and asked if he had a knot that would give me a similar feel in 26mm sized fan. His recommendation was a 2 band silvertip @ 26mm/50mm in a fan which turned out just fine for me. I got my soft tips, good backbone and no scratchy/prickly feeling similar to my Manchurian.

I also had a friend install a Shavemac 24mm 2 band silvertip @ 48mm loft in a custom handle. That brush gave a similar feeling to me as the shavemac 26mm custom but because the loft was set to a slightly higher knot to loft ratio than the 26mm and the hole in the handle was slightly wider it bloomed more and appeared less dense that the 26mm even though my guess is that there was no density difference. Both brushes are very satisfactory to me but along with size to loft ratio and density making a difference in backbone the size of the handle bore hole has an effect also. Not a huge difference in use and feel between the two but noticeable in feel and visually too. End of ramble.

Bob

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Since writing the original article I have also taken receipt of a DO1 2 band flat top or extreme knot.

The high density prevents the knot from overly splaying when building lather on the face. Lather displacement is controlled, which is not what I thought would occur. Lastly despite the thin white topped top layer, no scratch or scritch is exhibited by the knot. A lovely 'covered' face feel and plenty of backbone. Great knot shape IMO. Another unusual but useful trait is you can actually see the damp patch on the knot when drying. Takes a good 3 days to properly dry when hung. I do no see any damp patches on other knots when drying and they only seem to take 2 days at most.

R181

Grumpy old man
For those who are not quite sure what loft they would like on their brush Shavemac used to offer the VLB, Variable Loft Brush. It can be seen at about 2.30 in on this vid.

https://www.youtub

Bob

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
For those who are not quite sure what loft they would like on their brush Shavemac used to offer the VLB, Variable Loft Brush. It can be seen at about 2.30 in on this vid.

https://www.youtub

Bob
Were trying to organise a variable loft option for an LE release. Several issues at present.

R181

Grumpy old man
I often though a VLB set up so that the knot is fully retractable would be an interesting travel brush. Coupled with a 22mm synthetic knot to reduce the over all outside diameter of the handle might be good. It would save needing a separate case to put the brush or the need to assemble the brush for use.

Bob

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
I often though a VLB set up so that the knot is fully retractable would be an interesting travel brush. Coupled with a 22mm synthetic knot to reduce the over all outside diameter of the handle might be good. It would save needing a separate case to put the brush or the need to assemble the brush for use.

Bob
Definitely food for thought. I know Bernd doesn't offer synthetic knots, 22mm is also a little on the narrow side IMO.

R181

Grumpy old man
Definitely food for thought. I know Bernd doesn't offer synthetic knots, 22mm is also a little on the narrow side IMO.
Yes, Shavemac does not offer a synthetic brush but they are very practical for a travel as they dry so quickly. A 22mm knot is smallish but in keeping with the travel brush ideal to keep size and weight down if you are constantly on the move. Size/weight/dry time are of less consequence if you travel by car or fly to a destination and stay there.

Bob