Shave oil

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
For the last few days I have been using a drop of Shave oil as a pre shave then a normal lather. It’s been working a treat As well. So that got me thinking about making my own which lead me to this site.

I may just have a go, anyone any thoughts ? Or Scent combos ?

Thinking of Castor as the carrier and adding vitamin E.

Vacumatic

Testy
Let us know if you go ahead, sounds interesting.

I see that castor oil is a possible base. Years ago, Castrol used to make a racing oil called Castrol R which used castor oil, the smell of this oil as it was burnt in old Manx Nortons was heady stuff and split the sexes, men put their noses in the air to take in the fumes, women checked the soles of their shoes.

Last edited:

BlacknTan

Forum GOD!
Let us know if you go ahead, sounds interesting.

I see that castor oil is a possible base. Years ago, Castrol used to make a racing oil called Castrol R which used castor oil, the smell of this oil as it was burnt in old Manx Nortons was heady stuff and split the sexes, men put their noses in the air to take in the fumes, women checked the soles of their shoes.

I believe that Castor oil is still used in some two stroke mixes...

Vacumatic

Testy
I believe that Castor oil is still used in some two stroke mixes...
I have just looked it up, didn't think it would still be available, cost is £17 a litre for a straight 40w oil, as you say, good for classic 4 strokes and racing two strokes.

This reminds me of Yankee Candles who had a proposal for a candle to appeal to men, perhaps especially man caves, the smell was to be something like hot engine oil and burnt rubber.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
I have just looked it up, didn't think it would still be available, cost is £17 a litre for a straight 40w oil, as you say, good for classic 4 strokes and racing two strokes.

This reminds me of Yankee Candles who had a proposal for a candle to appeal to men, perhaps especially man caves, the smell was to be something like hot engine oil and burnt rubber.
There’s always almond, but then that would depend on its scent and anything I would try to match it with.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
I like to use a combination of vitamin E oil and coconut oil. I then add a mixture of organic essential oils from the brand Health Aid. Works a treat.

Nav

Forum GOD!
My DIY pre shave oil mix:

50% grapeseed
25% sweet almond
25% jojoba
Scented with Australian lemon myrtle EO

I went for the first two oils as they are not too thick and don't impact the lather at all.
They also add some glide.

Jojoba soaks into the skin quickly so it made sense to add it into the mix.

I found thicker oils took away from the lather quality and lowered the performance of my shaving soaps.