Shampoo bars, which one is the best?

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
As the title suggests, looking to try my first shampoo bar, any good options available?

I have only ever tried one Nishy..it was the DR Harris one. Ocean I think. Pricy but comes in a nice tin, and smells good.Worked fine as I remember. As I have very short hair I don't use a lot of shampoo when travelling. Hope that helps.

Grarea

Forum Plod
We have used Lush Jason and the Arganauts.
I originally thought Lush a bit overpriced and pretentious.
That was until I tried it.
The stuff works brilliant, it is lovely.
It lasts for ages as well, such better value than gloop in a plastic bottle.
If you have been using regular shampoo, you need to be prepared for a couple of weeks of changing over.
Apparently regular shampoo strips your hair of everything so it takes a little while to get its balance back. Then it is brilliant.

Personally, now, I just use a tallow soap (I don't have a lot of hair).
I use Monsavon soap.
It isn't as good, but I prefer the lack of scent even though the argan one is lovely.

Last edited:

bandito

Ex-Addict
I have only ever tried one Nishy..it was the DR Harris one. Ocean I think. Pricy but comes in a nice tin, and smells good.Worked fine as I remember. As I have very short hair I don't use a lot of shampoo when travelling. Hope that helps.
+1 on the Ocean - lovely stuff (no need for it now though!)

zealshaver

Forum GOD!
@Grarea is right. Be prepared for 2-3 weeks of adjustment due to detoxification then you'll never go back to bad chemicals.
I exclusively use organic shampoo soap bars for a couple of years now. Dandruff and hair thinning has stopped at last.
Best for me are from Funky Soap Shop

Burgundy

Forum GOD!
I'm currently using Liggett's which, to be honest, I don't think much of. I wasn't all that keen on the Chagrin Valley samples that @Fox split with me either. I haven't yet tried any UK-manufactured shampoo bars. I'm currently thinking of switching to liquid Castile soap after I've used the current (final) bar. An acidic rinse will still be needed.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Thank you for the suggestions. I will try some D.R.Harris. Unfortunately I get headaches even when I walk past a Lush store so not sure about the shampoo bar. Will give it a try after the Harris option though. Has anyone tried Mike's? By all accounts it's meant to be omnipotent.

bandito

Ex-Addict
Thank you for the suggestions. I will try some D.R.Harris. Unfortunately I get headaches even when I walk past a Lush store so not sure about the shampoo bar. Will give it a try after the Harris option though. Has anyone tried Mike's? By all accounts it's meant to be omnipotent.
+1 on Lush shops! For people who shop there out for ethical reasons, there 'social conscience' appears to be under the microscope lately as well.

Looney12345

Forum GOD!
+1 on Lush shops! For people who shop there out for ethical reasons, there 'social conscience' appears to be under the microscope lately as well.
I've bought a reasonable amount from Lush in the past, whilst transparent in their ingredients list, there are a number of their products that use SLS, there's no reason for them to be using that really. There are also a number of products that are derivatives of Palm Oil. Their stance is that they are against the use of Palm Oil, but they are rather unscrupulously using palm oil derived ingredients which seems a little hypocritical. I don't buy much from there any more, not because of the Palm Oil, but because of the SLS stuff. The Palm Oil was just a kicker in terms of their business ethics as you raised @bandito

Grarea

Forum Plod
My mum finds the same but only on certain days.
Depends what they are doing it seems.

The ethics of stuff is a tricky one isn't it?
I would be interested in opinions on this.

I haven't looked really into Lush. But as I understand it they say that they source palm oil from a sustainable source don't they?

It is difficult where to point the finger really isn't it?
Where to draw the line.
Me just using this computer is affecting the atmosphere by using electricity.
If I buy a new razor, it has used a whole bunch of resources to create, the same with the blades.

I like the idea of using our shaving type products with such little waste.
I like the idea of tallow as it is effectively a waste product as opposed to palm oil.
(The one we get is argan oil)
I like the idea of using solid soaps compared to liquid ones just because the transportation is much more efficient.
Also less packaging.

I was thinking about how a bar gives as much washing as a bottle yet is only, say, a quarter of the size.
Imagine how many less lorries there would be on the road if every one of the 65 million people in this country used a bar instead of a bottle.

Anyway, I have digressed so much, I have forgotten what I was going to type.

:)