Pass Around Seygus Zeppelin

Barry1963

Easily Led
Razor received, thanks @Barry1963 . :)
Pretty razor, this one.
The way it clamps the blade is quite interesting and not just due to the shape, but also due to how it seemingly clamps the blade a bit less in the middle. I think I might've found its purpose. During the shave, I tilted the razor to a daft angle during a pass just above my top lip. I felt the drag of the blade on my skin. I expected the Kai to draw blood. None showed.
The 0.7mm side mowed down 5 or 6 days of growth with little trouble. Maybe the Biotique Bio Palmyra helped. The 0.5 mm side felt nicer on the skin after the first pass with the 0.7mm side, but it wasn't quite as efficient. The 0.7mm side felt a touch too aggressive on the second pass, but maybe I'll get used to it. I tried riding the top cap like I would've with the Baby Smooth and it was still a very pleasant shave. DFS to BBS.
Looking forward to another shave, although it might be a few days before that. Work's rather intense now.

I haven't used my excessive stores of Barbus because I felt like using something else, and this soap is the only other one I have, other than the Blades Grim Smolder, which I really don't like the smell of, way too sweet for me (would PIF, if anyone's interested).
My apologies @slapo. I forgot to inform you of the tracking number. Glad it arrived safely.

slapo

It's... alive!
Yesterday morning's quick shave was really nice. I kept the soap and blade the same as before.
Smooth, efficient, and I got my troublesome areas done just fine this time.
I'm tempted to get a 0.5mm scalloped now. If they made it an OC variant, I'd probably be ordering one now. :)
Then again, looking at the razors I have... nothing new until I thin the stock.

EDIT: Ah, the passaround head is actually a production one. Still tempted. :D

Last edited:

Rasatura Bagnata

•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•
I did find shaving my more angular features a bit less nice than the flatter surfaces, but I reckon it's due to my inexperience. I do wonder if having the blade bent more, like in the Ascension DOC/Baby Smooth/Merkur 45.
@Rasatura Bagnata, do you have the Baby Smooth, by any chance? To me, the best angle was as with that razor, where I practically wasn't using the safety bar because of the sweet top cap ride.
I ride both the safety bar and the top cap. The top cap in the hollows of my neck and the safety bar for the rest of my face. I do not own a Baby Smooth, but typically Italian Barber does a knockoff of another razor. What other razor out there is close to the Baby Smooth as I might own that other razor? Thanks.

slapo

It's... alive!
I ride both the safety bar and the top cap. The top cap in the hollows of my neck and the safety bar for the rest of my face. I do not own a Baby Smooth, but typically Italian Barber does a knockoff of another razor. What other razor out there is close to the Baby Smooth as I might own that other razor? Thanks.
Not many, really. The Mamba doesn't benefit from the technique as much, even though it's fairly similar. The PAA Ascension remains rather smooth even with a less than ideal angle.
The Baby Smooth is kind of special in that when you're thinking you're riding the top cap, and it doesn't seem quite smooth... you likely need to use an even shallower angle (blade to skin).
I reckon it's worth giving that a go.

slapo

It's... alive!
Sunday shave:
Half of my face with the Zeppelin, the other half with my Rocnel SE-P closed comb. The same soap and blade as for the previous shaves with the Zeppelin, a Kai SS blade and Biotique Bio Palmyra for consistency. I used a Permasharp, kindly gifted to me by @Mr Bigmem - thanks again Mem :) .

The Zeppelin did a good job, but without the same prep I'd had before (light workout and a half-hour run), it had a tougher time coping with the growth. Not quite as smooth or close a shave. The Rocnel breezed through in comparison, though. Perhaps it's not entirely fair to the Zeppelin, however, as that Rocnel is a pretty unique razor and I have more experience with it. Then again, it either shaves well and pleasantly, or not at all.
The Zeppelin I found to be a lot more angle sensitive, riding the top cap as low as it gets being the smoothest, riding the comb wasn't exactly smooth but good for sensitive areas (moles, ear lobes and such) and everything in between was kind of harsh.

slapo

It's... alive!
This morning's rather quick shave after a run using the same blade and soap as before and the Zeppelin is back to being a kitty.
Pretty much the same observations as previous shaves.

I think I'm ready to pass it on to @jeepie, to whom I have sent a PM earlier this evening.

Thanks for letting me try it out, ATG and Seygus. :)