SEptember shaves ‘26

chazt

shave
SEptember marches on. Please allow me a sentence or two.. September 11th is a dark day for my family; we lost my brother-in-law on that horrendous day. I estimate in the last 25 years I’ve had some 6000 shaves that he never got to enjoy. ☮

In its way, the Universe offered up a light moment. This little beauty arrived yesterday and brightened my day a bit. Made me smile seeing how mint it is! I’ve always liked Art Deco design. The G Bar really scratches that itch for me. This is my third one. The first two were moved on before I really understood the format. It’s been close to a decade since there was a heavy flat top in my den. In that time my technique has improved a thousand fold having developed a rapport with the Micro Matic lineup.

This new G Bar seems to be near mint, used once or twice, maybe even NOS. Regardless, it was left somewhere untouched for decades. The door was quite tight when I opened it the first time. Rather than risk forcing the issue by breaking the spring, I whipped out the Wahl clipper oil and put a dab on the outside hinge points on the sides of the cap, and a bit on the rear angled section of the cap. Let it work its magic for a minute, and bing, bang, voilà, problem fixed. I cleaned it up, and used it this morning.

Now that I know how to get a good shave with a GEM blade, the holder is somewhat irrelevant, other than minor differences in relative efficiency between versions. I would say this G Bar’s efficiency falls somewhere between my Bullet Tip and Clog Pruf razors. I needed two passes and touchups to achieve a solid 9/10. Regardless, it was great fun using the new to me holder. It’s like using a never-shaved-with-before antique.
IMG_1976.jpeg
 
Last edited:

chazt

shave
SEptember 19, 2026

Second shave with the Asylum Rx. The first, using a Proline AC blade, was an adventure:hyper:. Fortunately today with a Kai guarded blade the result was kinder and way much more better. Interestingly, I “felt” the guards more than I do on the Feather razors. Surely that’s due to the Rx’s substantial weight increase.
IMG_2080.jpeg
 

chazt

shave
another Thanks to @chazt for the injector blades he sent... it let me stick a reply in this thread... a good shave happened with a EverSharp Schick(?)... thought it was going to be more aggressive & violent... it was made in Canananaduh... hahaha

View attachment 183427
Nice razors. I think the SA 84 is one of the best looking razors Gillette produced. I had one and foolishly and traded it for something else that is long gone also. A dear friend who shops estate sales, occasionally finds what she thinks is something I’d like. She’s very sweet that way. Many moons ago she found a longer SA109 which I used very sparingly, and it sat in my drawer for the better part of a decade. It’s found a new home with one of our forum brothers, and appears every so often in his SOTD posts.
 

purerockfury

..........
Nice razors. I think the SA 84 is one of the best looking razors Gillette produced. I had one and foolishly and traded it for something else that is long gone also. A dear friend who shops estate sales, occasionally finds what she thinks is something I’d like. She’s very sweet that way. Many moons ago she found a longer SA109 which I used very sparingly, and it sat in my drawer for the better part of a decade. It’s found a new home with one of our forum brothers, and appears every so often in his SOTD posts.
cool to have a friend like that... SAs were made into the 80s... cool... my SA is a 1st quarter 74... i got my first eviction the end of 73... so a fortunate if i remember correctly... was a forum/fleabay find 4ish moons ago... i get hung up on trying to find "usable" things that were made when i was made...
 
Top