Semogue Foro Afeitado LE 2019

halvor

a most elusive fish
This year’s Foro Afeitado LE brush is available in Semogue two band finest and three band silvertip at 90 and 105 EUR ex VAT, respectively.

I like it 👍

C33D0BDA-9EF9-4DED-AA01-D77DC15D4667.jpeg

JamieM

Extreme sharpness is ephemeral!
Lee, I think the loft of 52 mm is at least 4 mm too high for a 24 mm knot, my guess would be the brush would be too soft and lack enough backbone for most UK two-band owners, going on my limited knowledge of two-band brushes and I have owned quite a few, including a similar knot to the Semogue, a Simpsons Duke 3 in Manchurian which was a 24 mm with a 50 mm loft, I have also owned quite a few Shavemacs which in my opinion offered the perfect knot to loft ratio in the Silvertip two band brushes, a 26 mm with a 48 mm loft I find to be perfect, when you consider how popular the Simpson Chubby 2 is with the Manchurian two-band and that brush has a 27-28 mm? knot with most owners liking a 50 mm loft and no higher, and that's possibly one of if not the densest knots you can find, I may be wrong but I would like to hear more info once the brush is used and starts soften after the break-in period.

Last edited:

Optometrist

Forum GOD!
I believe the 24 mm knot with a 52 mm loft, that would rule out most of the UK brush buyers.
Lee, I think the loft of 52 mm is at least 4 mm too high for a 24 mm knot, my guess would be the brush would be too soft and lack enough backbone for most UK two-band owners, going on my limited knowledge of two-band brushes and I have owned quite a few, including a similar knot to the Semogue, a Simpsons Duke 3 in Manchurian which was a 24 mm with a 50 mm loft, I have also owned quite a few Shavemacs which in my opinion offered the perfect knot to loft ratio in the Silvertip two band brushes, a 26 mm with a 48 mm loft I find to be perfect, when you consider how popular the Simpson Chubby 2 is with the Manchurian two-band and that brush has a 27-28 mm? knot with most owners liking a 50 mm loft and no higher, and that's possibly one of if not the densest knots you can find, I may be wrong but I would like to hear more info once the brush is used and starts soften after the break-in period.
Agreed, Jamie.
I wouldn't touch a 2-Band that had a higher than 2:1 ratio of loft to diameter. That is at its limit for me and I'd go even lower. A 24mm diameter is 48mm max, but I wouldn't select that small a diameter anyway.

halvor

a most elusive fish
+1, very likely, especially if this knot is anything like the TSN from 2017, which I believe was a 25 two band knot. The one I got from you has a 50 loft and is already pretty low on backbone. Otoh, Semogue usually source knots specifically for limited editions, afaik, so who knows.

p.b

Forum GOD!
+1, very likely, especially if this knot is anything like the TSN from 2017, which I believe was a 25 two band knot. The one I got from you has a 50 loft and is already pretty low on backbone. Otoh, Semogue usually source knots specifically for limited editions, afaik, so who knows.
This. But I think it was classed as a 24mm knot.

However, if the TSN had been 26mm it would have been an amazing knot. It is a rounded bulb so might not be too bad. I'd suggest anyone who likes a medium brush with medium backbone would be extremely pleased with this brush.

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
I believe the 24 mm knot with a 52 mm loft, that would rule out most of the UK brush buyers.
Not for me. This would be almost perfect for me, but then I’m in the colonies and not the UK. I didn’t get along with most 2-band silvertips until I had Bernd make me one of his 2-bands with a 24X54 knot in a fan-shape.

JamieM

Extreme sharpness is ephemeral!
Why do you say that Jamie? Knot too small, loft too high?
Not for me. This would be almost perfect for me, but then I’m in the colonies and not the UK. I didn’t get along with most 2-band silvertips until I had Bernd make me one of his 2-bands with a 24X54 knot in a fan-shape.

Yes, I have noticed this, once you cross the Atlantic the shaving community do seem to like the more floppy brush, the UK tends to have completely different taste, largely speaking UK shaving enthusiast tend to like a firmer brush with more backbone.

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
Yes, I have noticed this, once you cross the Atlantic the shaving community do seem to like the more floppy brush, the UK tends to have completely different taste, largely speaking UK shaving enthusiast tend to like a firmer brush with more backbone.
Goes with the stiff upper lip.:D

Reevers

Berlin Calling
I don’t like scrubby brushes and this is the perfect knot ratio for me. I have a few Shavemacs with these types of dimensions and the knots open out nicely and feel great on the face, but to the extent that’s not to everyone’s taste.

I’m not looking for a new brush right now, otherwise I’d snap this up in a heartbeat - love the Semogue Texugo hair, great knot specs and the porcelain effect handle is bliss.

Teiste

Forum GOD!
Hello gentlemen

This could be a case of shameless self promotion since I'm the admin of Foroafeitado and I'm behind this brush alongside with Bruno and Mr Gomes.

Here is what I have written for other English speaking forums , hope this info would help you.

I have been collaborating with Semogue since 2009 , when Truckman (the first admin and founder of this DFS) and myself contacted Bruno from Vintage Scent to create the Semogue 2009 limited edition boar brush , which was the origin of the Semogue Owners Club brush.
Since then , I have been involved directly or indirectly in over 12 Semogue limited edition brushes for different forums.

This year , to celebrate the 10th anniversary of foroafeitado.com , Semogue have released two limited edition brushes , with a handle design based on a vintage one , the Semogue 209.

Only 100 have been made and 50 has Selected Silvertip and 50 Finest badger two band.

The Selected Silvertip is a very rare type of hair.The closest one I can compare it is to the old shavemac D01 3 band hair (between 2010-2012) with a great backbone and extra soft tips while keeping a perfect flow for a 3 band badger hair.

The finest badger two band is more some of the old Rooney's finest without the bleached tips but same scrub.

Both brushes have a 24.5 mm knot.The Selected silvertip has a 53 mm knot while the finest two band has a 52 mm knot.Also both brushes are extra packed with hair since the idea was to create a "Chubby 1.5" brush

The Selected Silvertip is an all around brush : perfect for lathering soaps , creams , bowl lathering or face lathering.Its tips are extra soft but not the gel alike type

The finest badger is for the die hard facelatherer , the ones who likes triple milled soaps or shaving sticks , with some scrub , but no scratchiness at all.

The handle is very ergonomic , really comfortable to hold it while making lather , and is made of acrilic resin imitation ivory.

Each brush would be engraved on the boton like this :

You can find the remaining units in vintagescent.com

Here are the links to both brushes in case you're interested on getting one.

Semogue foroafeitado selected silvertip

Semogue foroafeitado finest badger

I can only say thank you to Bruno and Mr Gomes os Semogue.They have been friends for the last 10 years and it's been a privilege and honor to work with them , creating some brushes which have been enjoyed for many wet shavers.

If you get one , please , let us know here who you like the brush.