Saturday 14th April - Friday 20th April 2018

Dr Watson

James

TOBS Sandalwood ~ Mason Pearson Super Badger ~ Mappin & Webb "Trustworthy" SR ~ TOBS Sandalwood

Must say, performance of TOBS is really not very good at all, I find the shaving cream to be very lacklustre with little to no slickness or residual slickness (Geo. F. Trumper creams are definitely superior) and the aftershave is like splashing neat alcohol on your face, terrible... But that scent! Its intoxicating! That's the only reason I keep using it :p:

TOBS Sandalwood ~ Mason Pearson Super Badger ~ Mappin & Webb "Trustworthy" SR ~ TOBS Sandalwood

Must say, performance of TOBS is really not very good at all, I find the shaving cream to be very lacklustre with little to no slickness or residual slickness (Geo. F. Trumper creams are definitely superior) and the aftershave is like splashing neat alcohol on your face, terrible... But that scent! Its intoxicating! That's the only reason I keep using it :p:
Haha Nice description James! "These products are s**t" ! But they smell wonderful!:laugh:
How do you find the brush?

Salv

James.

Like the combination It looks Colour coded

Dr Watson

James
Haha Nice description James! "These products are s**t" ! But they smell wonderful!:laugh:
How do you find the brush?
I try to give my honest opinion :D TOBS sandalwood was my first traditional shaving product I bought, amazingly I managed to finish it without selling on part way through, I was reminded of this by Halvor the other day so thought I'd revisit them... I still love the scent but performance is really very average :thumbsdown: ...I do wish an artisan would replicate the scent!

The brush has acquitted itself well, still early doors but I would say its basically a Simpsons best badger knot with 20% less density which actually helps with flow through an awful lot... Its not floppy at all thankfully which was the main fear, the handle is superb by the way.

James.

Like the combination It looks Colour coded
Entirely unintentional but it did work out that way! The brush handle has a much darker colour than the usual faux ivory... The knot is also bulb whereas I notice this model is now sold with a fan/hybrid knot so perhaps it could be from an older production run.

I try to give my honest opinion :D TOBS sandalwood was my first traditional shaving product I bought, amazingly I managed to finish it without selling on part way through, I was reminded of this by Halvor the other day so thought I'd revisit them... I still love the scent but performance is really very average :thumbsdown: ...I do wish an artisan would replicate the scent!

The brush has acquitted itself well, still early doors but I would say its basically a Simpsons best badger knot with 20% less density which actually helps with flow through an awful lot... Its not floppy at all thankfully which was the main fear, the handle is superb by the way.

Entirely unintentional but it did work out that way! The brush handle has a much darker colour than the usual faux ivory... The knot is also bulb whereas I notice this model is now sold with a fan/hybrid knot so perhaps it could be from an older production run.
I agree it's a great scent but a lot of the TOBS creams irritate my skin not used them for many years now..but of the four I tried (Lavender, Lemon &Lime, Jermyn Street and Sandalwood) Sandalwood was the best I would say..L&L smelt like cheap lemon oven cleaner..Lavender was very artificial and Jermyn street irritated me the most which is mental as it's meant to be for sensitive skin!
The sandalwood soap was OK if I remember rightly..like you say Trumpers creams are superior in performance.
I still rate D R Harris as the best of the British grooming houses overall as I love their soaps and post shave products. Penhaligons are not bad but pricey ...though nice scents and Floris soaps are poor.

Last edited:

Dr Watson

James
I agree it's a great scent but a lot of the TOBS creams irritate my skin not used them for many years now..but of the four I tried (Lavender, Lemon &Lime, Jermyn Street and Sandalwood) Sandalwood was the best I would say..L&L smelt like cheap lemon oven cleaner..Lavender was very artificial and Jermyn street irritated me the most which is mental as it's meant to be for sensitive skin!
The sandalwood soap was OK if I remember rightly..like you say Trumpers creams are superior in performance.
I still rate D R Harris as the best of the British grooming houses overall as I love their soaps and post shave products. Penhaligons are not bad but pricey ...though nice scents and Floris soaps are poor.
I concur, TOBS L&L is foul :sick:

I wanted to like D.R Harris so much, the Edwardian styling, the classic scents... But I just dont get it :( Scents are subjective but for me they are all too conservative, bland for fear of offending (perhaps I'm too young to appreciate them?) The soaps and creams are good performers I agree but find them overpriced for what you get (there was a not insignificant price hike late last year I noticed) ...The aftershave milks and lotions are downright rip offs, a pipettes worth of scent in a bottle of carrier liquid for the best part of £30? Don't think so.

Don't get me started on Trumper hard soaps or Truefitt Colognes
22.gif.36c040d5abb2096c10af791e63c73da8.gif
:laugh:

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member

Try out TOBS avocado, different kettle of fish regarding slickness IMO. If that fails add some glycerin or olive oil to the mix works a treat :)
I tend to use soap pucks when using a straight as this form is usually slicker.

I concur, TOBS L&L is foul :sick:

I wanted to like D.R Harris so much, the Edwardian styling, the classic scents... But I just dont get it :( Scents are subjective but for me they are all too conservative, bland for fear of offending (perhaps I'm too young to appreciate them?) The soaps and creams are good performers I agree but find them overpriced for what you get (there was a not insignificant price hike late last year I noticed) ...The aftershave milks and lotions are downright rip offs, a pipettes worth of scent in a bottle of carrier liquid for the best part of £30? Don't think so.

Don't get me started on Trumper hard soaps or Truefitt Colognes View attachment 27771 :laugh:
I wonder if their may be a bit of "inconsistency" in D R Harris's scents because the the last few products I've had from them have differed greatly in scent strength.. a puck of Windsor soap smelt virtually EDP strength then I bought a replacement after I used it and barely anything. Aftershaves and milks have also been quite strong to my nose..but I heard others mention a very fleeting scent profile. Hmmmm:confused:
Definitely better value out there James no doubt..but what can I say...I likes em!
Trumpers soaps should be skimmed through the window of the shop , forthwith, such is my impression of them .:laugh:
But I like their fragrances and creams..

Jacobite

Forum GOD!
I came across 2 sticks of DR Harris Marlborough last year that were reasonably priced. I'd never buy them at the standard price. I honestly can't describe the scent. There is nothing offensive about it but it doesn't smell like anything else I have ever encountered either in nature or as a result of human artifice. It can be turned into an outstanding lather, however. It performs brilliantly. The scent is clearly from another era, so I think I like it on that account alone. I also have DR Harris' Sandalwood after shave, which I find quite oily, though the scent is delightful.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Those 4 also heated my skin, sandalwood least so and Jermyn was like head first into a wasp nest! Avocado was excellent, cooling cucumber comes to mind. Strangely the marzipan almond caused no issue either. Grapefruit is very strongly scented so was a bit of an issue, also very drying.