Aftershave: Penhaligon`s English Fern

Fidelis

Forum GOD!
Friday morning shave:

Pre.: Hot water rinse, organic coconut oil, 3P pre-shave cream
Brush: Plisson Synthetic Pearl Grey
Soap: Valobra - Sapone Solido purissimo da Barba Fougère
Razor: Wolfman WR1-OC .86 on a Stork EX3 titanium handle
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium (2nd use)
Post.: Hot water rinse, alum, cold water rinse, 444 gel, Myrsol "Emulsion", Poraso green AS, Tom Ford "Noir" EdP

Tried the Wolfman today without a shim and have to say, this is the first razor, which works (for me) better without the shim.
Nearly the same efficiency, but a good measure smoother. Some more strokes needed, but the increase in comfort makes more than up for this.
The Valobra soap, well what to say, the scent isn't really great (I'm sorry, but this isn't really a Fougère for me), but the protection and slickness is on a quite high level.
So, a good, comfortable shave, no blood, no irritations, less sting by the alum than last time, bbs result - not too bad 🙂

Wishing everyone a friendly, pleasant and easy Friday! 🙂👍

culcreuch

Forum GOD!
Friday 18th October

Pears Glycerine Soap
Creighton's Ultra Rich Shaving Cream
Vulfix medium Synthetic Brush
Razorock ECO with a 7 O'clock Sharp Edge
Turkish Copper Shaving Bowl
Thayers Witch Hazel with Cucumber
Argan Oil
Benjamins Bay Rum with Pimento

3 passes for a perfect shave :)

CobraX

Forum GOD!

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap,Antica Barbieria Colla Almond Oil Pre-Shave Cream
Brush: Paladin Lotus Select Badger
Soap: Barrister's Reserve Fern
Razor: Gillette Slim Aristocrat (5)
Blade: NOS Personna P74 Med Prep (8)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Antica Barbieria Colla Almond Oil Balm
Scent: Musgo Real Spiced Citrus EdC

My first shave with a Barrister's Reserve soap. Being aware of somewhat different lathering techniques best suited to this soap, I checked out a vid in which Will himself explained the soap base and the lathering requirements. I followed this technique, and had no problems. The lather is low profile, but super slick, and with elite residual slickness. The scent was very familiar to me, and it dawned upon me that it was much like the discontinued Sir Irisch Moos. If this was indeed Will's intent, he did a great job.
Dialing the Aristocrat up to 5 resulted in a 3 pass BBS result.
I believe Reserve Fern is Will's recreation of Houbigant Fougère Royale. I agree with your comment about the residual slickness. The Reserve base is my current number 1 when it comes down to residual slickness. Curious to see if the new Declaration Grooming Milksteak base can match it.

Nico

Forum GOD!
Pre: Hot towel, Pre shave oil (Nico's home brew)
Razor: Timeless, S/S, 0.68 Scalloped base plate with 14 mm x 85 mm dimpled handle
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum Double Edge
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk3
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Ariana & Evans Spartacus
WTG, ATG with touch ups and adjusted angles for my beard.

IMG_4995.jpg

AlfredoT

Forum GOD!
2019-10-18, Friday

The soap I tried today is a gift from a friend.
The name puzzled me: Celestial Farms. More than a soap maker, it seemed to me the name of a funeral parlor and this puzzled me about the INCI, but ... alles in ordnung!

It is a vegetable / tallow blend. Rather small a puck and difficult to load if it was in a bowl, but I used it as a stick.
Skin was not wet enough and difficult to spread: I should have left it to soak on a layer of water.
It does not explode in lather, but it is very smooth and the fact that the skin was visible under it makes it suitable for those who wear beards or mustaches.

Fragrance is not bad, but bergamot is not noticeable and I do not know what bamboo smells like: have you ever smelled it?

Sapone PS: Valobra Glicerolanolina
Sapone: Celestial Farms, Bergamot & Bamboo
Pennello: Frank Shaving, Manchurian Silvertip HMW, 22
Rasoio: Manico in acciaio, marcato Aramis
Lametta: Gillette, Track II
AS 1: MilMil, Figaro Gel
AS 2: Lab. Lirici, Biancamenta
EdT: Farmacia Vaticana, Acqua di Colonia
ST: Duke Ellington, Duke Ellington's Finest Hour

TomG

Forum GOD!
I believe Reserve Fern is Will's recreation of Houbigant Fougère Royale. I agree with your comment about the residual slickness. The Reserve base is my current number 1 when it comes down to residual slickness. Curious to see if the new Declaration Grooming Milksteak base can match it.
Ah - thanks for that information.
I am now thinking that Mäurer & Wirtz had this in mind when they created the Sir Irisch Moos scent. I have a Sir Irisch Moos shave stick, and did a side-by-side comparison against Reserve Fern with another wet shaving enthusiast, and we agreed that they were very similar. The Reserve Fern was a little richer and well-rounded, whilst the Irisch Moos was slightly greener and fresher, but we both found them very similar. The two fragrances share notes that include oakmoss, lavender and tonka.