Saphir shoe polish.

Blackmass

Forum GOD!
On the request of @Wayne (and a couple of other members) I thought I'd take a couple of before and after photos of my shoes and my first impressions of the Saphir shoes polish and wax.

I have very limited experience and knowledge of shoe polishing etc. I've usually used whatever has been in the cupboard, which is usually Kiwi polish.

I've got a couple of nice pairs of Grensons so I thought I best start looking after them. After a couple of evenings watching video's on YouTube (sad but true), Saphir kept popping up.
I'm not going to go into great detail about the products, the video below can do a much better job than I can.

View: https://youtu.be/cY6lX2MigBc

So what did I think of they products? Well for starters I liked the smell a lot more than other shoe polishes I've tried. It had a more natural smell which was quite strong.
Both the cream and wax were easy to use and absorb into the leather.
Just from a brief look, it darkened the leather and gave it a natural shin.
I bought the neutral polish and wax so I wasn't adding any pigment to the leather.

Not sure if you can see any difference as my photography skills aren't the greatest.

Before:
20171018_102920.jpg

After:
20171018_131049.jpg

Cheers
Rob

Nico1970

Forum GOD!
Nice work Rob @Blackmass. I, myself, am a serial shoe polisher... :blush:

For anyone else out there, with this 'affliction', Herring Shoes have (what looks like) a very nice Valet box. Methinks, I might get 'er indoors to buy it as a Christmas pressie for me...

By the way, I use Saphir polish as well. It's great stuff - easy to apply and buff etc. It definitely does darken the leather a shade or two but, for me, that's a small concession given the benefits in respect of leather shine and protection it brings as well as the feelgood factor of having properly polished shoes.

Cristobal

Forum GOD!
I'm not sure whether shoe polish or wax are the right product for your shoes (the Burgundy pair on the photos), because after applying one of them you can't see the grain of the leather, which is somehow fading (or coated by wax).

You should try Crème essentielle Grison, which is usually used to clean (remove dirt and wax) and nourish leather and will not cover the grain (it has no coloration). Alternatively (depending on the frequency you wear your shoes), you can use Crème Surfine Saphir (choose the exact colour matching the shoes); some of my shoes have recovered from light scratches thanks to Surfine, this product is magical. These products have to be used in very small quantities and they'll last years.

I only use regular wax with a few drops of water on the tips of my shoes, to shine them; it takes about 5 min to apply 3 to 5 times the wax and achieve reflections on the tip of the shoes.

EDIT: I forgot to add that after the shoes are dry, the best "tool" to shine them is women's stockings.

Last edited:

Wayne

Forum Sod
On the request of @Wayne (and a couple of other members) I thought I'd take a couple of before and after photos of my shoes and my first impressions of the Saphir shoes polish and wax.

I have very limited experience and knowledge of shoe polishing etc. I've usually used whatever has been in the cupboard, which is usually Kiwi polish.

I've got a couple of nice pairs of Grensons so I thought I best start looking after them. After a couple of evenings watching video's on YouTube (sad but true), Saphir kept popping up.
I'm not going to go into great detail about the products, the video below can do a much better job than I can.

View: https://youtu.be/cY6lX2MigBc

So what did I think of they products? Well for starters I liked the smell a lot more than other shoe polishes I've tried. It had a more natural smell which was quite strong.
Both the cream and wax were easy to use and absorb into the leather.
Just from a brief look, it darkened the leather and gave it a natural shin.
I bought the neutral polish and wax so I wasn't adding any pigment to the leather.

Not sure if you can see any difference as my photography skills aren't the greatest.

Before:
View attachment 19113
After:
View attachment 19114

Cheers
Rob
Thank you my friend.

Blackmass

Forum GOD!
Nice work Rob @Blackmass. I, myself, am a serial shoe polisher... :blush:

For anyone else out there, with this 'affliction', Herring Shoes have (what looks like) a very nice Valet box. Methinks, I might get 'er indoors to buy it as a Christmas pressie for me...

By the way, I use Saphir polish as well. It's great stuff - easy to apply and buff etc. It definitely does darken the leather a shade or two but, for me, that's a small concession given the benefits in respect of leather shine and protection it brings as well as the feelgood factor of having properly polished shoes.
Thank you. I did have a look at Valet boxes too.:blush: Thanks for the link, it's a lovely box.:okay:

Blackmass

Forum GOD!
I'm not sure whether shoe polish or wax are the right product for your shoes (the Burgundy pair on the photos), because after applying one of them you can't see the grain of the leather, which is somehow fading (or coated by wax).

You should try Crème essentielle Grison, which is usually used to clean (remove dirt and wax) and nourish leather and will not cover the grain (it has no coloration). Alternatively (depending on the frequency you wear your shoes), you can use Crème Surfine Saphir (choose the exact colour matching the shoes); some of my shoes have recovered from light scratches thanks to Surfine, this product is magical. These products have to be used in very small quantities and they'll last years.

I only use regular wax with a few drops of water on the tips of my shoes, to shine them; it takes about 5 min to apply 3 to 5 times the wax and achieve reflections on the tip of the shoes.

EDIT: I forgot to add that after the shoes are dry, the best "tool" to shine them is women's stockings.
Thanks for the advice and tips, much appreciated. I will investigate further.

Conservator

Forum GOD!
I learned by watching the videos of this chap (The Shoe Snob):

Do not forget to buy shoe tree

Some dumb questions: (1) How long does it take to polish a pair of shoes? (2) How long does this shine last before you do it again? (3) What, if anything, do you do to maintain the shoes?

Cristobal

Forum GOD!
Some dumb questions: (1) How long does it take to polish a pair of shoes? (2) How long does this shine last before you do it again? (3) What, if anything, do you do to maintain the shoes?
I am not a "shoe geek", just a chap owning some pairs of shoes (mostly brogues: Paraboot, Loake, Sanders who supplies the British army) and who likes to take care of them; in addition it reflects how careful and neat/well groomed you are.

YMMV, but in my case, polishing my shoes takes 5 to 10 min (I could rush it though, but what for?), 15-20 min with the "glaçage".

I alternatively apply Crème essentielle Grison (leave them dry and then buff them with woman's stockings), after wearing them 5 to 7 times, if they are not too dirty, I clean them with a brush and then apply the Surfine Saphir cream to revive the colour (leave them dry and buff).

If I am in the mood, I do a "glaçage" by shining the tip of the shoes with wax (mine is a regular Baranne shoe wax I use only for tips) and water, in order to obtain a discreet patina; trial and error will give you the capacity to master this: for it consists of applying 3 to 5 times wax with 1 drop of water each time. And then the cycle starts again: Crème Grison (best way to remove the "glaçage"), a few days/weeks later Surfine Saphir and so on.

It is not the regular method, but the one working for me. Everyone has to find out his own routines/methods. Polishing/cleaning is a part of maintaining, of course, as soon as I get home I ALWAYS place shoe trees in my shoes and let them rest 2 days at least.

When mastered, patina is one of the coolest thing a man can wear (definitely not my style, nor my wallet, but very nice), a photo found on the internet:

Last edited:

Conservator

Forum GOD!
I am not a "shoe geek", just a chap owning some pairs of shoes (mostly brogues: Paraboot, Loake, Sanders who supplies the British army) and who likes to take care of them; in addition it reflects how careful and neat/well groomed you are.

YMMV, but in my case, polishing my shoes takes 5 to 10 min (I could rush it though, but what for?), 15-20 min with the "glaçage".

I alternatively apply Crème essentielle Grison (leave them dry and then buff them with woman's stockings), after wearing them 5 to 7 times, if they are not too dirty, I clean them with a brush and then apply the Surfine Saphir cream to revive the colour (leave them dry and buff).

If I am in the mood, I do a "glaçage" by shining the tip of the shoes with wax (mine is a regular Baranne shoe wax I use only for tips) and water, in order to obtain a discreet patina; trial and error will give you the capacity to master this: for it consists of applying 3 to 5 times wax with 1 drop of water each time. And then the cycle starts again: Crème Grison (best way to remove the "glaçage"), a few days/weeks later Surfine Saphir and so on.

It is not the regular method, but the one working for me. Everyone has to find out his own routines/methods. Polishing/cleaning is a part of maintaining, of course, as soon as I get home I ALWAYS place shoe trees in my shoes and let them rest 2 days at least.

When mastered, patina is one of the coolest thing a man can wear (definitely not my style, nor my wallet, but very nice), a photo found on the internet:

Thanks for the info. Your shoes look fabulous.

Good info Rob! Nice looking shoes you got there. :thumbsup:
I am a total novice regarding polishing shoes. Really a boot guy ..Redwings in Autumn/ winter and Clarks Desert in spring/summer. Desert boots are great because as they're suede you don't have to polish them..just spray on a foam cleaner. The Redwings just require a bit mink oil rubbed in..(well that's what I do anyway) For work I like Chelsea "brogue style" boots which are matte leather..I have only ever cleaned them with the cheap foam sponge cleaner/shiner thing.

Blackmass

Forum GOD!
Thanks Chris. Getting them ready for my Sister's wedding on Sunday.

We have very similar taste in shoes. I wear suede Desert boots but from Next. I've tried a number Clarks shoes but the insoles comes away very easliy for me. Which is a shame as I love Wallabees.
The Next Desert boots are very comfortable and half the price of the Clarks. I currently have 3 pairs on the go.

Boot type Brogues are next on my list. I do have some Grenson on brogues, which I've had for years.
20171018_131706.jpg