Running

Discussion in 'Health, Fitness & Training' started by Nick_S, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Nick_S

Nick_S Craft Beer Connoisseur

So, I am far from what you would call an accomplished runner, I resemble more the couch spud if I am honest. A few years back madness overtook me, and I decided for Movember I would run 10k a day for the month of November. Granted, I did it, and I thoroughly enjoyed it, but soon gave the 10k the heave ho once the first week of December had finished :D

So this year I am resurrecting the challenge. To build myself up to avoid a coronary, I am starting out at shorter distances and working my way up to run as far as I can in one hour for each day. I started yesterday and ran 5K, tonight I ran 6K. I am wanting to be doing a comfortable 10K by the end of the month as a realistic target, with a dream like 20K to be achieved in one hour at the end of November.

It may well be mission impossible to achieve the 10K per day average again but I aim to do it.

Anyone else do any distance running on a daily basis?

halvor likes this.
  2. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Senior Member

I used to do a little running but nothing more than about 5 miles at a time. But I was in decent shape because of that running. I put more effort into biking back then. And now I have done more of nothing than anything. I occasionally get on a road bike and may go 3 or 4 days in a week and then just stop. So the inconsistency just kills it's impact. And then I had the bright idea that I would go mountain biking on some pretty nice single track near my house. Mind you I haven't ridden off road in about 12 years. My first ride out I went about a quarter of the distance I had hoped. And on the way back I took a tumble and hurt both of my legs, one really badly. It's been about two weeks since and my right legs is still swollen and in pain. Yes folks, I'm an idiot. What I really should be doing is riding and running on a consistent basis. To some road biking. Some mountain biking. And some trail running. This way when the snow comes I can continue to at least do the trail running in the park. I hate running on roads. So, this is what I SHOULD be doing. The only question is whether I WILL do it. I should also rejoin the gym and start swimming again. The only consolation is if I did all these things on a regular basis I wouldn't have any New Year's resolutions.

Nick_S likes this.
  3. Benz3ne

Benz3ne Legendary Member

Good on you Nick! I enjoyed the comments of 'far from an accomplished runner' in conjunction with 'dream like 20k in one an hour' :D 5 minute miles, here you come!
    10k in an hour is certainly doable, once you get the distance in your legs. :) Good luck and well done that man!
    Edit: For what it's worth, I used to run a lot when I played rugby. Nowadays, I'm drastically unfit - I'll have to set myself a similar challenge...

Nick_S likes this.
  4. halvor

halvor Esquire

Did a fair bit of running earlier. So much that I ended up with runner's knees, in fact, on both legs. By all means, go running, but I speak from experience when advising you not to go straight from nothing to every day, especially not with increasing the distance for each consecutive run. And do make sure to warm-up!

I've just - and finally! - started a programme to get rid of said knee issues. For a few weeks now it's foam rolling, trigger point massage and at +15 mins routines every day. Running is, for me at least, by far the lowest threshold kind of exercise. Grab my shoes and open the door, like. Sorely missed for both the mental and the physical effect.

Nick_S likes this.
  5. Nick_S

Back when I did that challenge for Movember, I kept a graph of my achievements, which showed massive improvements over said month :)

upload_2018-10-9_12-57-39.png

The big peak on 11th/12th was where I did an 11k and 12k distance because I felt I had plenty left in the tank. The fastest 10k on the 28th was 25mins 55sec - which given the 1st of the month was 40min 34sec :D

Benz3ne and halvor like this.
  6. Benz3ne

Benz3ne Legendary Member

I'd call those times at the end of the month 'accomplished'. I make that final time to be 4:11 per mile... that's ferociously quick! Heck, the Cardiff half marathon winner managed 13.1 miles in a shade over an hour on Sunday... You'd have beaten him with 5 minutes to spare at that pace!

Nick_S likes this.
  7. Thug

Thug Forum GOD!

That's some impressive running on the 28th Nick. You broke the World Record by 45 seconds!
    Well done!!

Edit: I do the odd long distance trail run

Nick_S likes this.
  8. Nick_S

Thanks chaps :) It's scary how much I improved over a single month. I am hoping for another good improvement this time round.

Last night I stretched the legs again, running 7K in 20 min 30 sec. I'm hoping to stretch it out again tonight for 8K and again hit around a 3min per K time.

9. halvor

halvor Esquire

Are you sure you’re not Ethiopian or Kenyan??? Seems curious that you were faster than the world record holder? If you’re not a regular runner, which is the impression I get(?), I’m crazily impressed and your body must be built for running like no other. World record on 10K is 26:17 track and 26:44 road, I see from Wikipedia. You beat that by more than half a min back then. Even your clocking for 7K two days ago is on serious level. The UK national team has lost out on some medals...

Rowlers and Thug like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice