Rocnel Elite 2019

wintoid

Forum GOD!
Bullgoose seem to have this at stock at the moment, so I ordered the aggressive model. There's lots of information about this razor over the pond, but I've not read much about it in the UK. Just shows how important European distribution is.

Anyway, my razor arrived today, following payment of the ransom, which is always attracted on Bullgoose purchases in my experience. I've briefly tried it, but not enough to form any kind of real opinion yet. That will take a few days. One thing I can say, though, is that this is a seriously noisy razor. The first stroke I took was below my sideburns, so right under my ear, and the racket it made practically made me jump out of my skin! It's nicely made, and quite heavy. I won't say more yet, until I've had a chance to use it a bit more, but would be very interested to hear anyone else's opinions of this razor.

wintoid

Forum GOD!
I've got 5 shaves on mine now, so have the beginnings of an impression forming.

The first 2 shaves, I used the handle that came with the razor. It's quite heavy, and feels lovely in the hand, but I think I generally prefer a lighter handle these days. The next 3 shaves were done using a titanium Tibam handle (copy of Wolfman WRH7 ish). I felt that worked better.

The first thing to say is that every shave I've had from this razor has been extremely comfortable. It pulls off the trick of giving me adequate blade feel without ever being abrasive. The second thing to say is that it's definitely capable of shaving me incredibly close, whilst retaining that great comfort.

My criticism, and I'm perfectly willing to accept that technique has a part to play, is that the resulting shave on my face, with my technique and my soaps, has not generally been completely even. I have an area on my neck, which I never normally have difficulty shaving, that the Rocnel has left feeling closely shaved, but with a few whiskers that escaped the blade.

That said, this is a good starting point. To me, that means the razor merits a bit more time invested to get the best possible shave from it. But it also means, to my mind, that it's sensitive to angle and technique.

The week prior to this razor arriving, I had fished out my old Hoffritz slant, a Merkur 37 type razor, and had used it for perhaps 5 shaves. That thing is super-consistent. I don't know whether the Rocnel is just suffering in comparison, but I find myself thinking that the Hoffritz shave was objectively better, even if it was less comfortable.

No idea how much my ramblings will help anyone else, but I'm interested to hear other opinions for sure.

wintoid

Forum GOD!
2 more shaves on this now, with the titanium Tibam handle, and my opinion is firming up. I've discovered that I am basically unable to hurt myself with this razor, no matter what I do, and so I can be much more aggressive with it. It *really* likes a shallow angle. Furthermore, it *really* likes a shallow angle with a bit of pressure (deliberate). I've never deliberately applied pressure, but something I read recently made me want to try, and this is probably the only razor I would try this with. It worked fine, no particular irritation. There's something unusual about this design I think.

My last 2 shaves were also with a Kai blade. I think it's possible that the razor wants the sharpest blade, and I couldn't immediately find my Feathers. I'll probably try a Gillette Yellow if I can't find the Feathers before tomorrow. There's a Carbon incoming, so it might be my last shave with the Rocnel for a week or more.

wintoid

Forum GOD!
Yup, that’s what I needed to do. Found my Feathers and shaved normally but on the shallow side, and the result was epic!

Assuming that’s repeatable, this is now the DE to beat for me. The only problem is that I have over 2000 Polsilvers and wasn’t planning on buying Feathers ever again.

wintoid

Forum GOD!
Right now, I basically don't want to reach for any other razor. I had a Carbon delivered earlier in the week, and I've tried it out, but it's back to the Rocnel for me.

Sharp blades, like the Gillette Yellow, are just a joy in this razor. I don't usually like them. The angle needs to be kept shallow, but I've never cut myself, and my face always feels like the skin is in good condition after the shave, so I really feel like the Rocnel is taking care of me.

Now I'm really interested to see what Rocnel will do to the Asylum RX.