Rockwell Razors (6S/6C): A Three Year Follow-up Review...

Nav

Guru
Hello Gents,

I’ve been using the Rockwell 6S as my main razor for over 3 years now so thought I’d post a follow-up on my original reviews.

Here is my original 6S review:

https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/rockwell-razor-club.455470/page-16#post-8299576

My 6S and 6C review:

https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/rockwell-6s-stainless-and-the-6c-chrome.540111/

The 6C is my permanent travel kit razor. We don’t travel very often however, when we do travel, it’s usually long stays at relatives homes so I definitely need to take my best gear with me, not just something to get me by because in one stretch, we could be away from home for 2+ months!

The 6S stays safely at home but the 6C gives me basically the same shave in terms of comfort and closeness.

I have been traditional wetshaving for a decade now and since I got the Rockwell 6S, it has been my favourite razor or all time. I did get the brass Karve razor which is also wonderful but the Rockwell is still my favourite razor, mainly due to the cutting angle and the heavy head, which allows me to complete my 3.5 passes with fewer strokes and maximum comfort.

The matte bead-blasted look is still my favourite. I really like matte finish items (not just razors) and this fits the bill perfectly. The balance of the razor is fantastic despite the heavy head. The balance point is also at a very comfortable position on the handle and this allows me to hold the razor with comfort.

I generally use mine on the 6 plate and I always get a close, comfortable shave. The 5 plate is also excellent if I want a slightly milder shave. On the 6C however, I use only plate 6 because it is slightly lighter than the 6S so I tend to find the 6C requires one plate above the 6S to get the same result. Both razors shave very comfortably!

Value for money can’t be beat! The 6C for $50 and the 6S for $100 are a couple of the best deals in the traditional shaving market right now! I always recommend the 6C to newbies because it gives the flexibility to find the correct setting without having to purchase multiple razors.

I wish I had this option when I started out ten years ago! I always read go for mild razors as a newbie and they either gave me a horrible shave or I applied pressure to get a closer shave. I have heavy growth so the often recommended tech, 34C, DE89 razors were completely unsuitable for me. It wasn’t until I got a Merkur Progress that I experienced what so many gushed about in regards to the results of using a DE razor.

I will continue to use my Rockwell razors and look forward to what they have to offer in the future.

You can also check out my Model T review here: https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-review-of-the-rockwell-model-t.570032/

I purposefully didn’t discuss it here as it is a totally different style of razor and I wanted to concentrate on the 6S/6C.

The Rockwell Brothers chilling out:

honeywoodjohn

I've been seriously considering getting one of these. You mention that it has been your favourite of all time, are you able to share which other razors you have used?

Thanks

Nav

Guru
I've been seriously considering getting one of these. You mention that it has been your favourite of all time, are you able to share which other razors you have used?

Thanks
I've used about 35 DE razors, 14 injector and 6 GEM razors.

For a more complete listing, please see my original 6S review.

RandySp

Forum GOD!
Nav, you know that I respect every review you make and I never disagree with any of them!

I have the 6c gunmetal, the colour is fantastic and I love it. The only problem is that I don't use the plates 1-3 & 2-4. Way too mild for me. I must revisit the #4 however to be sure.

I always start with the #6 for 6-7 days of growth, the aggression is up there, but it feels so safe that you can buff on many spots.

The only blade I didn't like in it was the Kai, this damn Japanese samurai, it tore my skin on the #6.

Last edited:

R181

Grumpy old man
I always start with the #6 for 6-7 days of growth, the aggression is up there, but it feels so safe that you can buff on many spots.
I shave daily and the only base plate I have used is the #6. I have to agree with how you say it feels in use. It just does not feel aggressive to me.

Bob

Nav

Guru
Nav, you know that I respect every review you make and I never disagree with any of them!

I have the 6c gunmetal, the colour is fantastic and I love it. The only problem is that I don't use the plates 1-3 & 2-4. Way too mild for me. I must revisit the #4 however to be sure.

The only blade I didn't like in it was the Kai, this damn Japanese samurai, he tore my skin on the #6.
Thanks mate!

I agree, it is an efficient razor but just doesn't feel agressive or harsh. That's what I love most about the Rockwell razors.

If I compare it to the Karve (which I also love), the Rockwell gives me a much more satisfying shave whereas the Karve still makes me feel like I have to "work" to get the results I want.

I love both these razors with the Polsilver blades. No other blade comes close to the Polsilver for me.

RandySp

Forum GOD!
Thanks mate!

I agree, it is an efficient razor but just doesn't feel agressive or harsh. That's what I love most about the Rockwell razors.

If I compare it to the Karve (which I also love), the Rockwell gives me a much more satisfying shave whereas the Karve still makes me feel like I have to "work" to get the results I want.

I love both these razors with the Polsilver blades. No other blade comes close to the Polsilver for me.
Agreed. Will try this beast with Feather and a slick soap. Declaration Icarus, the king of slickness.

Reactions: Nav

watchiekong

Forum GOD!
Great follow up review. I agree with others that even on the highest *6, remarkably it does not feel aggressive, yet it is so efficient.
A great razor and it's now my main (my ATT now usurped).

ManicDee

Inside a Big Dark Empty
The only trouble with the 6c is the handle issue, ie it doesn't f*****g work! So now, I use a Merkur 41c handle but every time I look at the 6s. All I think is ugh it's drab grey! I would buy one If it came in Gun metal grey but not that!

SpeedyPC

Forum GOD!
I find the R6 almost the same as the Karve D base plate, I’m enjoying the R6, Karve D (brass & SS) and the GC .84 all four razors as my daily driver everyday for each shaving rotation.

Belfont

Forum GOD!
Thanks for the follow up review, Nav
I've a Rockwell 6S for a year now,
I had just bought the 2/4 and 5/6 plates and the cap, I only use the 5/6 plate with a Maggard MR11 or an Ikon OSS handle,
I don't really like this razor, the head is heavy and bulky, but when I use it I am sure to get a very close shave,
so I'm keeping it.

Nav

Guru
Great follow up review. I agree with others that even on the highest *6, remarkably it does not feel aggressive, yet it is so efficient.
A great razor and it's now my main (my ATT now usurped).
The more I compare the 6S to the Karve, the more I like the 6S....so I've stopped comparing because I have a soft spot for aged brass and want to keep the Karve.

I had an ATT years ago but unfortunately didn't get along with it at all. I didn't like the head geometry/cutting angle.

The only trouble with the 6c is the handle issue, ie it doesn't f*****g work! So now, I use a Merkur 41c handle but every time I look at the 6s. All I think is ugh it's drab grey! I would buy one If it came in Gun metal grey but not that!
What is it about the handle that you find doesn't work?

I find the R6 almost the same as the Karve D base plate, I’m enjoying the R6, Karve D (brass & SS) and the GC .84 all four razors as my daily driver everyday for each shaving rotation.
Yup, I find it similar to the D plate in terms of feel but in terms of shave, I get a better shave from the R6 than the Karve D.

Thanks for the follow up review, Nav
I've a Rockwell 6S for a year now,
I had just bought the 2/4 and 5/6 plates and the cap, I only use the 5/6 plate with a Maggard MR11 or an Ikon OSS handle,
I don't really like this razor, the head is heavy and bulky, but when I use it I am sure to get a very close shave,
so I'm keeping it.
That's how I used to view the 6S but in fact, it's this very feature that gives me a great shave!

The heavy head really allows for a better mow down of my coarse stubble.
I have very irritation-prone skin but since I have coarse, heavy growth...I prefer a BBS on a daily basis. Especially now since I don't want to give my 6 month old daughter stubble rash on her cheeks :)

ManicDee

Inside a Big Dark Empty
What is it about the handle that you find doesn't work?

Well it spins indefinably without tightening!

SpeedyPC

Forum GOD!
Yup, I find it similar to the D plate in terms of feel but in terms of shave, I get a better shave from the R6 than the Karve D
Interesting, I need to watch very close attention on the R6 vs the Karve D. I do get a fantastic close shave without any issue or irritation.