Rockwell 6S - gripe

Hectorsgaf

Well used member
Ok so those that 'know' me will know that this remains my all time go to razor despite numerous dabblings with other options at both ends of our 'scale'.

It has however just occurred to me ( ok I may be a bit slow ) that this wonder razor is let down big time ( notwithstanding the non twist adjust issue as opposed to separate interchangeable plates ) by the way they have arranged the blade options with the three plates supplied. For me, I would go to a 3 plate but also like to start with a 4 with a few days growth. Changing plates is no issue BUT ......... wtf did they make them, as a 3 /1, 2 /4, and a 5/6 option? The latter makes sense but why not have a 1/2, and a 3/4? OK, I still have to reverse a plate instead of popping a new one in. Same time scale really but why?

Maybe I need to get a life and look for a new soap?

Regards to all.

Sausage

Forum GOD!
BUT ......... wtf did they make them, as a 3 /1, 2 /4, and a 5/6 option? The latter makes sense but why not have a 1/2, and a 3/4? OK, I still have to reverse a plate instead of popping a new one in. Same time scale really but why? .
I feel you. I have thought this same thing several times. 1/2 and 3/4 would have much better. This is the truth :)

ManicDee

póg mo thóin
I only use the #6 head with a weeks growth and then switch to a #3 for the second pass. But mostly I use #3.
Your right about the sequencing though 1/3 Odd, 2/4 Even, 5/6 Extreme.
Is there any issue with the 6s handles or is it just a 6c issue?

fancontroller

Forum GOD!
I agree it's a weird way of arranging the settings.
I prefer #2 as I find it gives the best combination of aggression and smoothness. My next preferred setting is actually #4, so having both these settings on the same baseplate works perfectly for me.
Funny how things work out.

I also think having separate baseplates instead of an adjustable one makes for a cleaner, easier to maintain, and more robust end product. Once I found the setting I preferred I just stuck to using the same baseplate making it a trustworthy razor without worrying about fiddly settings.

TobyC

Patriot
This amazes me. I can only assume that you fellas ride heavily on the baseplate, perhaps even using too steep of an angle. I tend to use the cap as a guide, and give myself as much blade as I want. If I had a Rockwell I would probably just use the #6 and regulate the supposed "aggression" my self. I have no use for any form of adjustable razor.

sm1h

Forum GOD!
My guess is that they figured that if you want to switch blade mid-shave you are more likely to switch from 3 to 1, alternatively 4 to 2, but rarely only one step up/down.

Quique

Forum GOD!
In my case without problem, I only use base #5.
I think if Rockwell started selling individual bases like Karve does, they would find many people willing to buy "his"

R181

Grumpy old man
I have a Rockwell 6c and have used the #6 base plate since day one. I gives me lovely close and comfortable 4 pass shaves when used daily. I agree with TobyC's comments as I ride the cap also. Then again I normally shave with a straight razor so there really is no problem using "aggressive" DEs as I'm very conscious of using the angle needed to cut the whiskers. Open the angle up with an SR and you are in trouble.

To the OP's question, yes the numbering system seems a bit odd.

Bob

Batch300

Extraordinarily Uncomplicated
Probably no right answer and not sure of any machining cost savings. I would think most shavers would go up or down 1 level at a time.

I just purchased a 6s - changing heads mid-shave seems cumbersome (have not tried and no plans to try). Some may believe beneficial.

DamianJ

Forum GOD!
With the 2C you only get 1 baseplate, the 3/1. I think that having a bigger difference than just stepping up or down one may be more useful to those with only one baseplate, hence the 3/1. The 4/2 then matches this change leaving the more aggressive 5/6.

Hectorsgaf

Well used member
Probably no right answer and not sure of any machining cost savings. I would think most shavers would go up or down 1 level at a time.

I just purchased a 6s - changing heads mid-shave seems cumbersome (have not tried and no plans to try). Some may believe beneficial.
To be fair it is really not that cumbersome. I do tend to go 3/4 days quite a bit now without a shave so I find the 3 is a tad mild to start with. I do like to go back to it though as a default after the first pass. Nothing I hate more than a first pass hat has that 'is it really working' feeling. Congrats on your purchase though. I am sure you will not be disappointed.