Completed riverrun's lending library: Durham Duplex

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
Due to ... logistical reasons, razors from my lending library are currently not available.

As part of my ↪'lending library' I'm offering a Durham Duplex razor.

This piece of shaving history is a straight style razor that takes double edged blades. This allows for rather unusual shaving manoeuvres. You can use both sides of the head in one movement. If your face can take it, you can shave WTG and ATG in a single pass. :eek:
The original blades were stroppable and the razor comes with a stropping handle. You can use the stropping handle for shaving 'kamisori' style. That's my favourite way of using this razor.
A word of warning (I don't want to put anyone off though): This is not a beginner's razor. You should know about NO PRESSURE and be able to figure out the best shaving angle for you. This is not a mild razor and you will probably nick yourself while trying to figure it out. It is a lot of fun though to shave with this 'double edged straight', just like grandad or his father. :D

One problem with Durham Duplex razors is the availability of blades. Most available blades that fit this razor are sold as 'dog dresser' blades and are among the worst blades you can possibly put to your face. Trust me, I've tried. The only blades worth trying in this razor are the 'Personna pathology blades'. I have sourced some of them and I will include one blade for you to try.
Normal pass around rules apply: The razor is your responsibility from the moment you receive it until the next person receives it. You break it, you buy it. Make sure it is thoroughly clean and shave ready when you pass it on or return it to me. Use at least ‘signed for’ delivery. Enjoy the shave and let us know what you think.
Postage: TBC - probably £2.30
If you're interested, post in this thread or send a PM to @sɐǝɹpu∀.

Last edited:

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
Here are some images showing how to insert the blade. I tried to colour the blade greenish in the images to make it stand out a bit (they are not actually green). Here are the individual bits (using the stropping handle) and the blade:

Put the blade on the guard. Slide it under the tab that will be closest to the handle (red arrow):

Place the handle over the two tabs of the guard. Then push in the direction of the red arrow:

All done. Shave:

Last edited:

Mr Bigmem

Forum GOD!
As part of my ↪'lending library' I'm offering a Durham Duplex razor.

This piece of British shaving history is straight style razor that takes double edged blades. This allows for rather unusual shaving manoeuvres. You can use both sides of the head in one movement. If your face can take it, you can shave WTG and ATG in a single pass. :eek:
The original blades were stroppable and the razor comes with a stropping handle. You can use the stropping handle for shaving 'kamisori' style. That's my favourite way of using this razor.
A word of warning (I don't want to put anyone off though): This is not a beginner's razor. You should know about NO PRESSURE and be able to figure out the best shaving angle for you. This is not a mild razor and you will probably nick yourself while trying to figure it out. It is a lot of fun though to shave with this 'double edged straight', just like grandad or his father. :D

One problem with Durham Duplex razors is the availability of blades. Most available blades that fit this razor are sold as 'dog dresser' blades and are among the worst blades you can possibly put to your face. Trust me, I've tried. The only blades worth trying in this razor are the 'Personna pathology blades'. I have sourced some of them and I will include one blade for you to try.
Normal pass around rules apply: The razor is your responsibility from the moment you receive it until the next person receives it. You break it, you buy it. Make sure it is thoroughly clean and shave ready when you pass it on or return it to me. Use at least ‘signed for’ delivery. Enjoy the shave and let us know what you think.
Postage: TBC - probably £2.30
If you're interested, post in this thread or send a PM to @sɐǝɹpu∀.
Are we 100% certain there razors were created for shaving and not the hair dressing industry?

Mr Bigmem

Forum GOD!
For the doubters:

Note the angle (or lack thereof).
Dear sweet mother of god! Its for scrapping your beard off Your face not even shaving! I've used over half a dozen different styles and types of shavette including a novelty 3d printed all plastic body and scales. They've near all taken half DE's, SE feathers or long dovo blades, but i've never and I mean never heard of shaving with a blade that is originally made for prepping a dog for surgery. Let alone shave with a double edge open comb face scarper. I'll pass me thinks but I hear @Billyfergie is up for it tho. From what I hear his tallow is mighty strong and will ward off all cuts and peeling of skin and such.

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
Dear sweet mother of god! Its for scrapping your beard off Your face not even shaving! I've used over half a dozen different styles and types of shavette including a novelty 3d printed all plastic body and scales. They've near all taken half DE's, SE feathers or long dovo blades, but i've never and I mean never heard of shaving with a blade that is originally made for prepping a dog for surgery. Let alone shave with a double edge open comb face scarper. I'll pass me thinks but I hear @Billyfergie is up for it tho. From what I hear his tallow is mighty strong and will ward off all cuts and peeling of skin and such.
Wimp. :rolleyes:

Alancrab

Forum GOD!
I've been trying to get a shave from these things for about 12 months and the nearest to comfortable was with a NOS Durham blade stropped on balsa then leather. I am still trying though - got about a dozen and I WILL GET A SHAVE with one. (One day). Oh not in -plenty of these to play with. Good luck chaps.