Review REVIEW: Frank Shaving develops an in-house synthetic fibre!!!

Nav

Forum GOD!
I ordered a couple more Frank Shaving brushes and received them the other day. Their Aliexpress store is my usual place for ordering. Ordering and delivery were easy and cost-effective.

This particular brush is unique in that the knot is made up of a new fibre that FS has developed in-house!

I originally enquired about another pur-tech brush but was advised by FS that they have developed a similar fibre so I got very curious about it.

It basically aims to replicate the Gen4 synthetic fibre, as used in the Muhle, EJ Silvertip Fibre ("STF") knots and the FS Pur-tech knots. Let’s call this one “FS fibre” for now.

Read on to know my experience with this new knot…

But first, here are some pics:

Shedding:

No shedding at all, as per the case with all synthetics I’ve ever used.

Softness:

The Muhle Silvertip Fibre V2 (STF) is basically a market leader in synthetic fibre IMO. It’s basically perfection!

Well, Frank Shaving nailed it with this new FS fibre!! It’s nearly the same as the Muhle STF in terms of the fibre itself! I’m surprised to experience just how much this feels like the STF.

It’s really soft at the tips to the point where you barely feel them. The brush overall has substance, but the tips are like air! The way the STF and FS fibre both whip lather in no time is also unique. I add water, swirl a little, and it’s already incorporated and formed a nice-looking lather!

Splay:

The FS fibre splays very nicely! Again, like the Muhle STF, it expands amazingly as the volume of lather grows inside it. In fact, the splay is not just “very nice”, it’s actually amazing! It’s very natural and I like it better than my Muhle STF and my FS pur-tech!

Backbone (and glue bump):

The ratio of backbone and density is just perfect! As mentioned above, the splay is very natural so I don’t need to push down hard to get it to splay. Even though it does have a glue bump of approx. 8-10mm, it doesn’t negatively impact the performance, whereas on all other synths I have, a glue bump of about 10mm does negatively impact the experience of the brush.

The combination of the fibre, the tips, the substance, density and backbone all combine to give me exactly what I would classify as perfection!

The 24mm knot with the 53mm loft is just awesome! The finish on the knot could be a little better when compared to Muhle and EJ STF brushes however, at $23 for the 24mm FS fibre compared to the $86 for the Muhle 23mm STF …it’s a no brainer for me!

It’s a big call, but this brush is now my #1 synthetic brush of all time (out of the 25 I have)!!

Drying time:

The brush dried out fully within a few hours, just like other synthetics on the market. No difference to be noted.

Handle:

The faux agate handle is lovely. It’s classy but I do wish it comes in other shapes as this handle shape is becoming common. No knocks against it though, it’s a really pleasing handle for sure!

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Thank you for the review. A couple of questions if I may.

With regards to the splay, how large is the splay? Does it splay with resistance? Such as with the Simpson chubby 2 synthetic, or does it splay with great ease such as the Yaqi Tuxedo/wolf knots? What impressed me about the Simpson brush was the restricted splay whilst not having any glue bump. Basically what you would generally look for in a badger. I believe my preference is linked more to density than fibre type. Glue bumps also tend to fixate the base fibres more holding lather towards the base of the knot, I would have thought it would have the opposite effect but this is my experience. Lastly with the soft tips, what is the feedback akin to when scrubbing? Thanks and apologies for the bombardment :)

Nav

Forum GOD!
Great write up! Mind sharing a link to that particular brush on Ali, please?
Sure, here you go...

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/AXpe6CY

Thank you for the review. A couple of questions if I may.

With regards to the splay, how large is the splay? Does it splay with resistance? Such as with the Simpson chubby 2 synthetic, or does it splay with great ease such as the Yaqi Tuxedo/wolf knots? What impressed me about the Simpson brush was the restricted splay whilst not having any glue bump. Basically what you would generally look for in a badger. I believe my preference is linked more to density than fibre type. Glue bumps also tend to fixate the base fibres more holding lather towards the base of the knot, I would have thought it would have the opposite effect but this is my experience. Lastly with the soft tips, what is the feedback akin to when scrubbing? Thanks and apologies for the bombardment :)
The splay is not large. It covers the cheek nicely without getting lather in the ears. I find the 24mm knot perfect whereas with other synthetics on the market, I prefer 26mm.

The splay feels natural and not resistant nor springy, but in no way "floppy" either.
It retains substance and body whilst splaying out.

Despite the glue bump, it didn't hog lather at all. Lather release was also very easy.

The Simpson synth is one that I haven't had yet so can't compare directly but I prefer this one to the muhle/ej STF brushes.

The muhle stf v1 knots had the resistance to splay without glue bumps, but these are unfortunately no longer available. The new FS fibre gives a similar feeling along with overall improvements. It's like the best of both the v1 and v2 STF.

Hope that helps.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Sure, here you go...

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/AXpe6CY

The splay is not large. It covers the cheek nicely without getting lather in the ears. I find the 24mm knot perfect whereas with other synthetics on the market, I prefer 26mm.

The splay feels natural and not resistant nor springy, but in no way "floppy" either.
It retains substance and body whilst splaying out.

Despite the glue bump, it didn't hog lather at all. Lather release was also very easy.

The Simpson synth is one that I haven't had yet so can't compare directly but I prefer this one to the muhle/ej STF brushes.

The muhle stf v1 knots had the resistance to splay without glue bumps, but these are unfortunately no longer available. The new FS fibre gives a similar feeling along with overall improvements. It's like the best of both the v1 and v2 STF.

Hope that helps.
Thanks that's great

Nav

Forum GOD!
How big is the glue bump?
Excerpt from review...

Even though it does have a glue bump of approx. 8-10mm, it doesn’t negatively impact the performance, whereas on all other synths I have, a glue bump of about 10mm does negatively impact the experience of the brush.

culcreuch

Forum GOD!
Excerpt from review...

Even though it does have a glue bump of approx. 8-10mm, it doesn’t negatively impact the performance, whereas on all other synths I have, a glue bump of about 10mm does negatively impact the experience of the brush.
Oooops....my apologies. I can't believe I missed that.

Nav

Forum GOD!
Oooops....my apologies. I can't believe I missed that.
No worries.
Let me know if you have any further questions about the brush.

This is the first new fibre that's been developed in quite some time, so it's quite exciting!

culcreuch

Forum GOD!
Thanks.....I am on the edge with this one. The brush is already in my basket....but the glue bump does concern me slightly. I have gone through the Yaqi craze and one of the the brushes was unusable due to the glue bump(I liked the handle so reknotted it with a Maggards badger/boar knot.) I have the full set (S,M and L) of Mühle V1 brushes and now appreciate them more than I did originally.....but none of them have glue bumps. I both bowl and face lather but if I am using the bowl.....I like as much usable loft as possible.

Nav

Forum GOD!
Thanks.....I am on the edge with this one. The brush is already in my basket....but the glue bump does concern me slightly. I have gone through the Yaqi craze and one of the the brushes was unusable due to the glue bump(I liked the handle so reknotted it with a Maggards badger/boar knot.) I have the full set (S,M and L) of Mühle V1 brushes and now appreciate them more than I did originally.....but none of them have glue bumps. I both bowl and face lather but if I am using the bowl.....I like as much usable loft as possible.
I have and love the v1 STF also (M, L & XL). They don't have glue bumps either but one thing I've experienced with the FS fibre is that the face feel is even better than the STF v1 and v2.

I know what you mean about glue bumps though. I have a couple of synthetic brushes that are unusable due to the bump but it doesn't seem to impact the experience on the FS fibre brush.

Nav

Forum GOD!
That is probably the designation I should have used.....they are 21, 23 and 25mm respectively.

I think you may have pushed me over the edge!
Please update us on how you go with it, if you do pull the trigger.

The v1 STF are still my favorite knot, after the FS fibre. Then followed by all the rest, which are all basically excellent and enjoyable.