Remind me again...why did we hate shaving?

Blademonkey

Forum GOD!
The consistent clogging of my Mach 3 and the tap tap taping on the side of the sink, the snot strip leaving slime all over my face, the raw neck that never felt smooth just sore, the gel that was super soapy and took forever to rinse off, the cost of replacement cartridges that if they had worked as well as my razors I use now wouldn't have been bad but they didn't!
Now I look forward to my morning shave and I know it will be a good shave with none of the problems listed above! P.
 

Lann

Forum GOD!
And how long they used to last!
Absolutely agree with you Lee. Used each cartridge a lot longer than I should have done which didn't help in terms of the irritation they caused my neck. Getting irritation free and close shaves using DE blades means my neck is certainly feeling the benefit. While the monetary savings haven't materialised, at least the majority of the money I spend now is on items that increase the enjoyment of shaving.
 

Jacobite

Forum GOD!
I've always loved it. I've been intrigued with shaving and shaving products since the mid 70s when I began to shave. I would use a brush & soap for several years and then I'd drift into foam, and then back to soap & brush. The thing was there were few options. When I was in the States there was Williams soap, and when I was in Ireland all I remember were Palmolive sticks. I always enjoyed after shaves but as with soaps the options were limited. I began with a Super Speed razor but quickly shifted to the Trac II, which remained my razor of choice in one form or another for a couple decades. Then the internet happened, the number of options increased exponentially, and I became, for want of a better term, a utilitarian collector. Not necessarily looking for things that are rare, but buying different items, all of which I use and enjoy. So to summarise, I always enjoyed shaving, but the internet multiplied the enjoyment for me.
 

Francorelli

Forum fella
The only thing I ever hated was the electric shaver my dad gave me as a teenager. Raw face every time.

I quickly switched to disposables and foam when I moved from home into a shared house and saw that was how my friends shaved. The Gillette Sensor looked a bit sexier than the Bics they all used so I then spent many years happily using a Sensor and whichever Sensitive foam was available in the supermarket.

I gave the whole process as much thought as I do to washing my hair.
 
Last edited:

Sausage

Forum GOD!
I have never hated shaving, quite the opposite. But I switched to DE shaving from cartridges because Gillette multiblades are so freaking expensive and they started tugging if I didn't shave everyday.
 

TobyC

Patriot
After reading what others have said, two words hit home; chore, and clogging. It was an uninviting inconvenience with a tool that was not up to the task.

And the knowledge that quality tools are NEVER made of plastic!
 
S

Steve Bowles

Guest
It was the same old same old. At least now I can choose from 4 very different razors and a dozen different soaps and creams. Variety is the spice of life.
 

halvor

a most elusive fish
No hate, bore or chore involved here. I think I might have made it in the end with carts, like I did with DE: no longer getting burns and bumps. Instead I followed the path of least resistance and, at the time, trend, and grew a beard. Never a closer shave than what a beard trimmer could offer for close to fifteen years.

Now I’ve been a this for the last four years. Less beard in my face — and definitely less money in my account!
 

Preacher

Über Member
I know what it was for me. I'm black with so my hair has tight curls. Cartridge razors didn't shave me close without using a lot of pressure, which resulted in razor burn and ingrown hairs. I spent some time in the Navy and remember standing inspections looking like I wanted to cry because my neck felt like it was on fire (the goo I was using simply didn't provide any real lubrication). Traditional shaving saved from all of this. My wife actually comments that my complexion is better now than it was 20 years ago.
 

flip-68

Forum GOD!
i used to shave maybe once a week and kept using the cart for too long so by the end they were really blunt and my post shave skin was red raw. funny thing is, I would have carried on like that if the price of sensor blades didn't double as they phased in the mach razors.
 

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
The consistent clogging of my Mach 3 and the tap tap taping on the side of the sink, the snot strip leaving slime all over my face, the raw neck that never felt smooth just sore, the gel that was super soapy and took forever to rinse off, the cost of replacement cartridges that if they had worked as well as my razors I use now wouldn't have been bad but they didn't!
Now I look forward to my morning shave and I know it will be a good shave with none of the problems listed above! P.
I forgot about tapping on the side of the sink! Still felt clogged.
 
Top