Refurbished ipads v cheap tablets

Chief Brody

Forum GOD!
I'm wondering if there is any experience within ATG with the buying of refurbished ipads?

My 11-year old's cheap Argos tablet hasn't even last 6 months. Dead as a Dodo! Beginning to think it would be better to buy a refurbished Ipad as they are built of better stuff.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Thank you for that. Didnt realise support stopped.
They do after a certain amount of time looking at this though it appears they are all pretty much supported. Obviously as well certain models when you upgrade IOS may not get all the new features that upgrade gives.

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
IOS devices seem to be supported for approx five years from their original release date. Even when they’re no longer supported they’re still usable, my daughter’s using my cast-off iPad Air that’s getting on six years old.

Honestly an iPad’s a much better option than a cheap tablet.

MPH

Forum GOD!
I'm reading this on an ASUS ZenPad tablet that I thinks great. No issues, works fine. Significantly cheaper than an iPad, but equally as likely to drop and smash!!! :)

I guess if you're used to Apple you may want to keep using their products as I get the impression there's quite a bit of difference between apple and everything else.....?

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
I'm reading this on an ASUS ZenPad tablet that I thinks great. No issues, works fine. Significantly cheaper than an iPad, but equally as likely to drop and smash!!! :)

I guess if you're used to Apple you may want to keep using their products as I get the impression there's quite a bit of difference between apple and everything else.....?
My son has a Asus ZenPad. It must be about 5 years old and is still getting updates and working great!

Missoni

Fellow Traveller
I purchased an original iPad mini in 2012 and slaved it to my iPhone; I serviced several contracts with it - email, text messages, word, video conferencing etc; it was superb and so much better than a large smart phone. Apple stopped releasing updates for it but it still works fine and now serves mainly as a internet radio. I use chrome books, Microsoft laptops and MacBooks Pro's. The Apple OS and accompanying eco system is a delight, intuitive, easy to use and you will not spend hours and hours downloading constant updates for anti-virus and other software updates. You do of course pay heavily for ease of use and their walled garden eco system but it is worth it. Buy the iPad; trust their refurbished models. I have purchased refurbished MacBook Pro's without issue and they still come with 12 months guarantee.

Last edited:

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member

The OS's are different but they’re both pretty easy to use. If anything IOS is easier to pick up but neither is hard.

I used Android from back in the Nexus One days, swapped to IOS a couple of years back when I bought a Mac. Between the two I prefer IOS but they both have their ups and downs.