Razors you keep but don't use?

RandySp

Forum GOD!
I haven't use the Merkur 42c for about 5 years.

Also the Wilkinson Sword Classic the black one gets no use. Only for trimming the cheeks when I don't shave.

Fatip Grande in Gold is used more rarely too. This thing bites with almost every blade, except the Feather and Kai. Go figure..

Wayne

Forum Sod
I only have 8 razors but I still have to force myself to use a few of them but when I do they always shave really well. The one I keep but seldom use is the Wolfman WR1.

Vacumatic

I was talking to a woman in my office, I knew she was very keen on shoes, she said that she had some shoes that were too nice to wear, other women were surprised at this comment, none of the men were.

I am happy with my modern razors for daily use but if I had something as superb as the razor above, all original, mint and in its original case I would keep and treasure it.

My other hobby is old fountain pens and people pay good money for old, original, unused fountain pens and would pay, for example, $500 for a mint 1940s Parker Vacumatic. A used example would be around $100. I get a bit surprised when they use the new $500 pen and throw away $400, you might as well have bought a used one to begin with.

I would be just the same as the above poster, a razor too nice to use.

chris.hale

Forum DOG!
Staff member
I was talking to a woman in my office, I knew she was very keen on shoes, she said that she had some shoes that were too nice to wear, other women were surprised at this comment, none of the men were.

I am happy with my modern razors for daily use but if I had something as superb as the razor above, all original, mint and in its original case I would keep and treasure it.

My other hobby is old fountain pens and people pay good money for old, original, unused fountain pens and would pay, for example, $500 for a mint 1940s Parker Vacumatic. A used example would be around $100. I get a bit surprised when they use the new $500 pen and throw away $400, you might as well have bought a used one to begin with.

I would be just the same as the above poster, a razor too nice to use.
I understand the desire to keep something in mint condition but it's not something I could really see myself doing. Use it carefully and only on special occasions maybe, but pens are meant to be written with, razors are meant to be shaved with and shoes are meant to be worn. I don't think I could enjoy owning something just to look admiringly into the box now and then.

To use your Vacumatic example it depends on whether they're buying it for themselves or to sell on later, if they're intending to keep it they're not throwing away $400, they're getting $500 of enjoyment from having NOS example which they'll probably treat like a baby and will treasure all the more for getting the full experience from.

Vacumatic

I understand the desire to keep something in mint condition but it's not something I could really see myself doing. Use it carefully and only on special occasions maybe, but pens are meant to be written with, razors are meant to be shaved with and shoes are meant to be worn. I don't think I could enjoy owning something just to look admiringly into the box now and then.

To use your Vacumatic example it depends on whether they're buying it for themselves or to sell on later, if they're intending to keep it they're not throwing away $400, they're getting $500 of enjoyment from having NOS example which they'll probably treat like a baby and will treasure all the more for getting the full experience from.

This is something that is much debated amongst pen collectors, there are two completely seperate schools of thought. Must admit I have far too many pens and dont really need to gain any particular pleasure out of using something for the first time that was mint and rare. Some things deserve to be preserved.

For example, a friend of mine found a Parker 51 at a country house auction sale, in its original box and had never been used. The box had a gold plate which recorded that it had been given by Eisenhower to his Mediterranean Commander in Chief. My friend didnt use the pen but gave it to the Maritime Museum in Greenwich. The pen would not have any better qualities over any other Parker 51. Had that been a Gillette razor, in its original box with an inscription or an accompanying letter from Eisenhower then I am not sure that there are many people who would want to shave with it, perhaps I am wrong.

When Parker closed their London HQ I was lucky enough to buy from their collection a Parker 51 that had been bought by a nightclub owner in Havana, a man called Martin Fox, I subsequently found a picture of Che Guevara using that pen at the nightclub. I had no intention of using the pen, apart from good provenance there is nothing different about the pen as compared to any other, it has now been gifted to a friend of mine who collects items of Cuban history.

I have the Parker pen that my father bought at the Parker Stand at the Festival of Britain in 1951, its an important pen to me, nothing at all to the rest of the world. Had I been lucky enough to own his Gillette Fatboy then I wouldnt use that either.

I respect your opinion which I think is that razors are not ornaments and dont belong in a museum, use them. I would agree 100% with that for an ordinary and used old razor (or pen) no qualms at all but I am from the school of thought that says sometimes things are just too nice, original, unused and perfect to use, whether that is a razor, pen or certain other objects. Someone a lot smarter than me reminded me that one day when you are gone all these nice things will be returned to that big razor pool and wouldnt it be good to leave something perfect and unique behind. As I say, opinions are divided with respect given to each camp.

The pic is an example of a Parker Vacumatic that is just too perfect to use.

Vac.jpg

Steve Bowles

Forum GOD!
Some razors, like fountain pens, are works of art in their own way. I have several razors I don't use, as they're too aggressive for my skin. Since they're mainly Parkers, I don't give them a second thought.

chris.hale

Forum DOG!
Staff member
This is something that is much debated amongst pen collectors, there are two completely seperate schools of thought. Must admit I have far too many pens and dont really need to gain any particular pleasure out of using something for the first time that was mint and rare. Some things deserve to be preserved.

For example, a friend of mine found a Parker 51 at a country house auction sale, in its original box and had never been used. The box had a gold plate which recorded that it had been given by Eisenhower to his Mediterranean Commander in Chief. My friend didnt use the pen but gave it to the Maritime Museum in Greenwich. The pen would not have any better qualities over any other Parker 51. Had that been a Gillette razor, in its original box with an inscription or an accompanying letter from Eisenhower then I am not sure that there are many people who would want to shave with it, perhaps I am wrong.

When Parker closed their London HQ I was lucky enough to buy from their collection a Parker 51 that had been bought by a nightclub owner in Havana, a man called Martin Fox, I subsequently found a picture of Che Guevara using that pen at the nightclub. I had no intention of using the pen, apart from good provenance there is nothing different about the pen as compared to any other, it has now been gifted to a friend of mine who collects items of Cuban history.

I have the Parker pen that my father bought at the Parker Stand at the Festival of Britain in 1951, its an important pen to me, nothing at all to the rest of the world. Had I been lucky enough to own his Gillette Fatboy then I wouldnt use that either.

I respect your opinion which I think is that razors are not ornaments and dont belong in a museum, use them. I would agree 100% with that for an ordinary and used old razor (or pen) no qualms at all but I am from the school of thought that says sometimes things are just too nice, original, unused and perfect to use, whether that is a razor, pen or certain other objects. Someone a lot smarter than me reminded me that one day when you are gone all these nice things will be returned to that big razor pool and wouldnt it be good to leave something perfect and unique behind. As I say, opinions are divided with respect given to each camp.

The pic is an example of a Parker Vacumatic that is just too perfect to use.

View attachment 57961
It would depend on the rarity for me, in the case of a pen that had been presented to a historical figure that absolutely deserves to be in a museum. I think it’s not so much that I don’t agree that some things are too nice to use but that I don’t think I’d get much pleasure from owning something where its rarity precluded me from using it.

I might make an exception for anything flown on an Apollo mission though...