Razors - Efficient and Quality of Shave differences

Batch300

Extraordinarily Uncomplicated
Read a post on another shave forum regarding razor "a" and "b"
- same shave quality end result
- razor "a" is far more efficient (number of passes not mentioned)

I have assumed a correlation between efficient and close shaves. Am I wrong?

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
Efficient does not equal aggressive, however it's now being used to mean the same.

Batch300

Extraordinarily Uncomplicated
@slapo @chris.hale - Thanks for your comments. Aggressive razors are now always viewed as efficient also. Many terms are being used possibly incorrectly in describing razors - which is why I raised the question.

If 2 razors give an identical 3 pass BBS shave, can one razor be called much more efficient?

halvor

a most elusive fish
If 2 razors give an identical 3 pass BBS shave, can one razor be called much more efficient?
Nope. Equal. One could be smoother than the other, however, and one (the smoother one or the other) could be more aggressive than the other, one (the smoother and/or more aggressive or the other one) could have a narrower angle of attack, one could ... etc.

I do find it strange how some razors feel like they weren't that efficient until 30 mins post shave, when the skin all of a sudden is dolphin smooth. While other razors give a more immediate result. YMMV and all that.

Don't think we'll ever come to a full consensus on aggressive: More likely to bite? Leaving your skin more raw or sore? Leaving a relative blood bath even if you didn't actually nick yourself? Narrower angle of smoothness? What it doesn't mean is more efficient - even if these may correlate or converge.

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
It's funny as there is some current discussion about the Hawk V3; some are finding the A plate, "mild" whereas I am finding the OC (supposedly less efficient/aggressive) ,so efficient that it is uncomfortable post shave. During the shave, there isn't a lot of blade feel, so it is deceptively efficient, but not aggressive!?

D

Deleted member 1881

1. I have never seen an aggressive razor not to be efficient.

2. A Rockwell 6c/s on #6 is efficient but not aggressive.

3. IMO, 2 different razors even with the same blade, don't give an identical BBS shave.

4. An R41 is efficient but not so smooth. Parker 97R is efficient but smooth. Change the angle with the R41 into a steeper one, and see your face get torn apart.

The sure thing is that an aggressive razor tends to bite a lot more than an efficient one. I'm not sure whether efficiency and aggression are connected.

Oh well, I have been driving for 10 hours, I can't say anything more... 😅😛😜

Wayne

Forum Sod
I have genuinely been disappointed with every so called mild razor I have ever used. I do not want 4 passes, the less time a blade is on my skin the better. Personally I would much rather have two passes with a sharper blade and mid aggressive razor. I'm not talking R41 or Ikon Tech here, a Blackbird is great, as are all the razors in my rack. I can actually get a DFS with one pass and generally BBS in two with some skin stretching and light buffing with everything I own. I don't consider aggressive as equalling a better shave, if I have to Pussy Foot around my face being careful with the angle and pressure, then for me chuck the Safety Razor in the bin and buy a Straight Razor and have the same experience, because that's what you are using in essence. Waiting to be cut mid shave with the likes of an R41 isn't my cup of tea, nor is completing a pass and felling like nothing has happened. So give me a good mid range SS razor and I'm happy.

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
I can crack a walnut with a nutcracker or a sledgehammer, the sledgehammer is very effective but it is not efficient.