Putting the brakes on

Wayne

Forum Sod
I have a small collection of mediocre shaving products and I'm quite happy with it. I enjoy shaving as a hobby, yeah, I know it isn't really but I have packed in Golf, Fishing etc so these days it is as close to a hobby as I get. I still have loads more stuff than I need and I like expensive razors, I can't buy Rolex watches, Ferrari's, Tom Ford suits and all that kind of stuff and my record collection takes more money than I'll ever spend on shaving. I think we all need a step back occasionally and to re evaluate what we really enjoy and need but shaving especially software is inexpensive in the grand scheme of life. I judge everything by a pint of beer £4.00 a pint so 4 pints = an average soap. The beer is gone in 2 hrs, the soap will give me a lot more value and enjoyment so it isn't expensive for the joy it brings.

D

Deleted member 1881

I have a small collection of mediocre shaving products and I'm quite happy with it. I enjoy shaving as a hobby, yeah, I know it isn't really but I have packed in Golf, Fishing etc so these days it is as close to a hobby as I get. I still have loads more stuff than I need and I like expensive razors, I can't buy Rolex watches, Ferrari's, Tom Ford suits and all that kind of stuff and my record collection takes more money than I'll ever spend on shaving. I think we all need a step back occasionally and to re evaluate what we really enjoy and need but shaving especially software is inexpensive in the grand scheme of life. I judge everything by a pint of beer £4.00 a pint so 4 pints = an average soap. The beer is gone in 2 hrs, the soap will give me a lot more value and enjoyment so it isn't expensive for the joy it brings.
Mediocre shaving products Barrister, Ariana?? Oh no..

les24preludes

Forum GOD!
Mediocre shaving products Barrister, Ariana?? Oh no..
My rule of thumb calculation is that 1 in 5 of any soap manufacturer's output is truly exceptional. I'd agree that most of the software is of a fairly middling nature, so maybe "mediocre" is pretty close.

sev-8

Forum GOD!
I judge everything by a pint of beer £4.00 a pint so 4 pints = an average soap. The beer is gone in 2 hrs, the soap will give me a lot more value and enjoyment so it isn't expensive for the joy it brings.
Partially agree, but:
1. the beer doesn't take up shelf space, only adds a bit of volume around your stomach
2. drink more slowly

Wayne

Forum Sod
I have tried hard to find joy in soaps but no luck, definitely had more luck with beer...
Beer is pee'd up the wall so is only rented, you get to keep soap and use it more than the once for the same outlay.

Nisse

Old geezer
20+ soaps in the bathroom cabinet, oh the joy :) no seriously, was not really hooked on shaving until I tried straight razors, now I love faffing about honing and stropping, but soaps nah realized Haslinger is all I need and maybe a puck of unscented P&B

Last edited:

phoenixandbeau

Forum GOD!
A man has to have a hobby (or five) and taking some time and care over those chops of yours is no bad thing.

It's worth spending a few bob over.

As @Wayne alludes to, the cost of a top tier artisan shaving soap might equate to (depending on where you drink), three or four pints. The value of the former wins hands down given that most soaps last for how many shaves nowadays..

That and you can't get a hangover from your shaving soap! :cool:

Last edited:

lloydrm

Forum GOD!
After trying many soaps I narrowed it doen to the unscented version of three makers and will going down to two as soon as I finish the tub am working on. Money had no role picking these soaps. As soon as I have them they all compete for a shave and I chose the two soaps that I like best how they perform.
No real problem with blades and zero problem with aftershave.
Brushes, I don’t have many and I always want more just because I get curious, but Inhave tried enough so I know it will be hard to find something better for me.
Razors? Those are kryptonite.

Last edited: