Putting the brakes on

I hear you! I have quite enough shaving stuff to last me years and years. Just want to sell a chunk of it off and make space now. My interest has moved from shaving to home recording. I've dropped the B&B forum and only tune in here intermittently. It's been fun, but time to move on.

RandySp

Legendary Member
I feel the same, I only buy dirt cheap products, but it is difficult to stop.

Some things that I have (creams, soaps) are unused! I must open them too, but for some of them I forget that they exist.

Last edited:

mbarno

Guru
I had a change of heart when I moved to a smaller house and realised I was just storing stuff for the sake of it.
I have a Karve, a Schick injector, Schick shavette, and a Gillette guard for carry on, that’s it. 4 brushes, and down to 5 soaps as I’ve decided to use them up before buying more.

I’m still passionate about shaving but not passionate about hoarding. Stuff has to be used up or get swapped for something new to come in.

RandySp

Legendary Member
I agree. I feel like a collector more than a passionate wet shaver sometimes.

And this is not good.
The only fact that reliefs me is that most of the stuff is not expensive but of course it has to be used up and not sitting inside the boxes.

RandySp

Legendary Member
I had a change of heart when I moved to a smaller house and realised I was just storing stuff for the sake of it.
I have a Karve, a Schick injector, Schick shavette, and a Gillette guard for carry on, that’s it. 4 brushes, and down to 5 soaps as I’ve decided to use them up before buying more.

I’m still passionate about shaving but not passionate about hoarding. Stuff has to be used up or get swapped for something new to come in.
Also, 5-10 soaps is a very good number. You can make a very good rotation and know the soap better (how much water, how to load etc).

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Going back to the basics and enjoying your shave should be managable irrespective of den size or equipment cost IMO. I think it's easier to find a better product, arguably providing a better shave, if you spend more. But it needn't just come down to cost or quantity IMO. Trial and error can be free with pass arounds too, best of both worlds.

mbarno

Guru
Also, 5-10 soaps is a very good number. You can make a very good rotation and know the soap better (how much water, how to load etc).
5 works for me. I have Barrister & Mann, Noble Otter, L&L, and a couple of Stirling.
Consistent use of L&L has made me realise how great of a soap it is, but also how soft it is, meaning it gets used rather quickly.

TheChrisC

I can totally relate and, although I've spent a fair bit lately, I'm trying to work towards having a lighter den and just sticking with products that work well. I've not found that holy grail razor just yet (ATT S1 is as close as I've gotten, and I'm dialing in the Nodachi at the moment) and I think having one of those and a decent selection of soaps is where my Endgame is.

I've spent more on this hobby than I ever thought I would. I've had a great time and some superb shaves but, man, I've spent so much money. Too much!

sev-8

Guru
i'm feeling the same way 18 months in. Have plenty of razors including everything I'd want under £100, though might still do some blade experimentation. Got a bunch of soaps (haven't gone crazy) and a few synthetic brushes which mean I use hardly any soap. Am set for a while and seem to have lost any *AD that I used to have

smallden

I'm 75. At the beginning of the year I realized I had enough software and blades to last me a good 2 years, and I had a number of unopened soaps and creams. Decided that was nuts so I've stopped purchasing. I don't feel the same about razors for some reason, but I do have 2 sons and 3 grandsons so those can be passed on (although so could the software and blades for that matter).

SpeedyPC

Forum GOD!
I'm 75. At the beginning of the year I realized I had enough software and blades to last me a good 2 years, and I had a number of unopened soaps and creams. Decided that was nuts so I've stopped purchasing. I don't feel the same about razors for some reason, but I do have 2 sons and 3 grandsons so those can be passed on (although so could the software and blades for that matter).
Grandpa I have your bottom dial Gillette adjustable, please, after you’re gone and also the Gillette Toggle as well.

Don’t forget to give all the vintage English Wilky and the Spoiler blades, oh oh, Grandpa, don’t forget to give me the Gillette Red Tip English made version, because, I’ve already got the US Red Tip.

Finally, Grandpa don’t forget to give me the Gillette Aristocrat adjustable the Gillette HD500 English made and 85% of your entire estate.

Love you Grandpa :okay: :D you’re a bloody legend.

Last edited:

smallden

Grandpa I have your bottom dial Gillette adjustable, please, after you’re gone and also the Gillette Toggle as well.

Don’t forget to give all the vintage English Wilky and the Spoiler blades, oh oh, Grandpa, don’t forget to give me the Gillette Red Tip English made version, because, I’ve already got the US Red Tip.

Finally, Grandpa don’t forget to give me the Gillette Aristocrat adjustable the Gillette HD500 English made and 85% of your entire estate.

Love you Grandpa :okay: :D you’re a bloody legend.
You get nothing you ungrateful child!