Probably not the healthiest, but good

Discussion in 'Health, Fitness & Training' started by churchilllafemme, Sep 14, 2018.

1. churchilllafemme

churchilllafemme Forum GOD!

Cream toast, which my wife learned to make in the Midwest U.S., for breakfast today. Toast and a sweet cream gravy in which to dip it. Butter, flour, milk, sugar, and vanilla. I'm sure people have been eating variants of this for hundreds of years.
    [​IMG]

Matsilainen and Grishnak like this.
  2. R181

R181 Grumpy old man

Never heard of that, sounds interesting though. Another along those not the healthiest but good lines is the Touton. I was introduced to them when I visited The Rock many years ago. Eaten on their own with dark molasses or as part of a hearty eggs, back bacon and beans breakfast are delicious. You can almost hear your arteries hardening.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touton

Bob

3. Grishnak

Grishnak Über Member

I’ll be over for breakfast shortly.

Any chance of instructions of what to do with those ingredients?
    Sounds lovely.

culcreuch likes this.
  4. churchilllafemme

My wife usually does not measure, so these are just guesses on quantities of ingredients. You will be able to tell how much milk to add to make it as thick as you like. Same with sugar to make it as sweet as you like. We like it about the consistency of a semi-thick white gravy. It's really easy to make and only takes about 5 minutes. You can adjust your ingredients to the amount you want to make. If you make a bigger batch you can refrigerate it and eat over the next day or two.

1.Add about 1/3 cup butter to saucepan and melt over medium heat.
    2.Once that's melted and starts to bubble, add in about 1/3 cup flour and mix together. Keep slowly adding enough flour to make a thick paste.
    3.Then add in, very slowly, about 1 to 1-1/2 cups milk. Add in about 1/8 cup or less at a time and keep mixing to avoid your cream getting lumpy, until it is the consistency you want.
    4.Remove from heat.
    5.Add in about 1/8 cup or so of sugar. Add a little and taste it. Add more if needed. We like ours pretty sweet.
    6.Then add about a tablespoon of vanilla.

pimple8, culcreuch and Grishnak like this.
  5. Grishnak

Grishnak Über Member

@churchilllafemme
    Thank you, I’ll give it a go.
    If I make too much, I’ll lather up with it LOL

6. churchilllafemme

Brushed or brushless, I guess. Someone also has suggested using the cream on pancakes, which sounds good too.

Grishnak likes this.
  7. churchilllafemme

This morning we had scrambled eggs and Bisquick biscuits with Southeastern Mills Country Gravy and added sausage. Very little cooking from scratch in this household.
    [​IMG]

8. R181

R181 Grumpy old man

Is that the white gravy that looks so strange to us north of the border?

Bob

9. churchilllafemme

Probably so. I think it is native to the southern U.S.

10. R181

R181 Grumpy old man

Makes sense, I had a friend from Kentucky explain white gravy to me. Still can't bring myself to try it on the basis of white gravy just isn't right. :) One of these days though.

Bob

11. Boru62

Boru62 Shaving Boar

Is white/country gravy what we call a white sauce?
    A roux with milk, like @churchilllafemme's breakfast without the vanilla and sugar.

12. Boru62

Boru62 Shaving Boar

Sirloin on caramelised onions with, garlic butter mushrooms, grilled tomatoes and chips.
    The tomato isn't burnt, honest.
    IMG_20180925_174032.jpg

Mrchick and pimple8 like this.
  13. Boru62

Boru62 Shaving Boar

This thread seems to dying a death. I'll try and revive it with a fry up.
    Two smoked rashers, black pudding, fried toms, two potato farls, a fried egg and a dollop of HP sauce:
    IMG_20181008_121648.jpg

Rowlers, Mrchick, culcreuch and 2 others like this.
  14. Sid James

Sid James ...

15. Grishnak

Grishnak Über Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice