Photo of the day

DevonStan

Forum GOD!
Was it Rowlers who asked about the basics of taking photos?

There's a lot to talk about in the above photo. The focus...i.e the leading dog is sharp but the following one is less so and the background is completely out of focus thus allowing the eye to concentrate on the dogs not the background (the "aperture" will have something to do with that, Rowly as well as the actual focussing). The way the majority of the water is frozen in time will have something to do with shutter speed (it needed to be a fast shutter speed to capture it). It would have been a different shot altogether if the shutter speed was slower and you'd then have incorporated "movement" when the water droplets merged and all swished into a swirl and the dogs would have lost their sharpness but movement (in bouncing fur and indistinct outlines) would have been portrayed more .

Composition is, of course, half the battle. See how centrally it's composed. This (in my eyes) is spot on coz the dogs are virtually coming straight at you. If they were going across the frame them Jim would have placed the dogs to one side...if they were going from right to left he'd have framed the shot so that the dogs were slightly to the right of the frame...this would give the effect that they were running IN to the shot, rather than having them placed towards the left of the shot when they would looked as though they were running out of the shot the......he might have aimed to have the dogs occupy something between a third and a half of the frame so that there was plenty of space in front of them for the dogs to "run into". (there's that word "third" again).

And finally light levels had a contribution....in good, bright light the shutter speed will be higher than it would if taken at dusk because the brighter the scene the less time the shutter need to be open for in order to expose the shot. Had it been darker there would have been more movement showing coz the shutter would have open for longer in order to process the shot and thus would have caught more movement..

Others will see other things to talk about.

I love that photo, Jim. I'd have been proud of that and no mistake.

Last edited:

DevonStan

Forum GOD!
Lee, I'm going to bed in a minute so promise not to to bang on about this topic ...but I could/should have said a word about a couple N_Achitect's photos. In the Budapest shot he has framed the long distance river/bridges view with the classic tree branches around the edge (as per my mention earlier) and see how he has composed it so that the (approximate) top third is tree branch, the middle third (the river and bridges - the meat in the sandwich) is in the distance and the bottom third is tree branch framing again. And there is the 'rule of thirds' in use.

And in the Seoul shot the drama is brought about by virtue of being "drawn" into the photo by the converging lines...you are absolutely sucked into the photo by having the handrails so close to you - but which take your eye into the innards of the subject.

Last edited:

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Lee, I'm going to bed in a minute so promise not to to bang on about this topic ...but I could/should have said a word about a couple N_Achitect's photos. In the Budapest shot he has framed the long distance river/bridges view with the classic tree branches around the edge (as per my mention earlier) and see how he has composed it so that the (approximate) top third is tree branch, the middle third (the river and bridges - the meat in the sandwich) is in the distance and the bottom third is tree branch framing again. And there is the 'rule of thirds' in use.

And in the Seoul shot the drama is brought about by virtue of being "drawn" into the photo by the converging lines...you are absolutely sucked into the photo by having the handrails so close to you - but which take your eye into the innards of the subject.
Some excellent shots.

johnus

As my teen aged daughter is now on a Youth Concert Tour in the EU, a trip to our local Shopping Mall tonite was the only recreation that we seen to afford A photo from its parking lot.image.jpeg