Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Copper Ascension DOC

Zwiehander

Just received te PAA copper ascension razor. It is unusual in that it has two open combs - the base plate and top cap both have open combs fitted and it was apparently inspired by a vintage double comb razor whereby the double open combs are supposed to cause more lather to be collected to lubricate the shave or something like that.

The other unique feature is that it is made of a copper alloy (German silver I believe) and plated with copper. It is apparent passivated in some way to prevent tarnishing.

Another feature it has is a adjustable feature but this is actually used by loosening it and I will likely not use that feature as ot seems a little gimmicky to me.

As it turns out I have no need for the twist adjustable feature because screwed on tight this razor gave one of the closest shaves I have ever had.i haven't even used an open comb before but now I am using a double open comb! It is quite smooth - not quite as smooth as the asd2 but kot too far from it. It is a serious performer and able to stand for to toe with any razor that I have tried so far in terms of actual performance.

Build quality wise - i didnt give it a magnifying glass look over but it sure looks fine to me without any flaws I perceived and it is excellent. The ascension is made in China but designed by PAA.

Aesthetics wise it is a beautiful razor and it is my first copper razor and I think i really like the look of copper razors.

The proprietor of PAA has some bad press in reddit and some forums that I did not really read back far enough to know what was the issue it I got great customer service and they sent the eazor over without any issues at all.

Summing up, this razor is indeed a worthy representative for China in my panoply of razors from around the world and I am very pleased to have bought it. At $99 I think that's on the outer limit of what I am comfortable with paying for a made in china razor given its unusual materials and design.

Zwiehander

Now now, forum rules dictate any threads of this nature must include pictures. :wink:
Photos are coming !

By the way I posted a similar thread on badger and blade but it seems to have completely disappeared.i am wondering if it has been deleted by the mods. Anyone knows if there is a ban against any mention of PAA threads there?

slapo

It's... alive!
By the way I posted a similar thread on badger and blade but it seems to have completely disappeared.i am wondering if it has been deleted by the mods. Anyone knows if there is a ban against any mention of PAA threads there?
There's already a few review threads on their products and people mention them every now and then, so I don't think there's any such ban on here.
Whatever PAA did in the past, it seems like they've been pretty straight shooters for the last few years.

slapo

It's... alive!
I really like the Ascension. I have two SS ones (one a fairly early one, one that arrived last month or so). They're very well made and while I don't know what the production specs are and what the actual profit marging is, I suspect that if it were to be made in Europe or Northern America, it would likely cost a fair bit more.

There's a nice write-up over at The Shave Den. For me, the self-lubrication manifests when buffing, and my passes are slightly buffed in general (think 2-3 steps forward, 0.5-1 step back) and double open combs suit this quite well. :)

Zwiehander

I really like the Ascension. I have two SS ones (one a fairly early one, one that arrived last month or so). They're very well made and while I don't know what the production specs are and what the actual profit marging is, I suspect that if it were to be made in Europe or Northern America, it would likely cost a fair bit more.

There's a nice write-up over at The Shave Den. For me, the self-lubrication manifests when buffing, and my passes are slightly buffed in general (think 2-3 steps forward, 0.5-1 step back) and double open combs suit this quite well. :)
The made in china origin in this case has saved quite some quid I trust and at no cost to the fit and finish which is superb. I use the doc to buff quite a lot also and I find it smooth and at the same time very close shaving.