Palmolive sticks going going gone?

Discussion in 'Shaving Soaps' started by Jacobite, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Jacobite

Jacobite Legendary Member

I'm in America so I can't hop down to Tesco and have a look but I read on a couple of sites that Palmolive sticks are on offer at close out prices and then are disappearing from shop shelves all over Western Europe. I just checked Connaught and they have none in stock. On US ebay they're fetching about $6 the stick! Fortunately I bring two or three back here each time I go home to Ireland, so I probably have at least 18 or 20 sticks. Nonetheless I would be deeply saddened if this product were discontinued. Any UK friends notice the sticks disappearing?

Yehuda D likes this.
  2. Dr Watson

Dr Watson The Other James

Still readily available at Superdrug, albeit at 75p per stick.

Jacobite likes this.
  3. Wayne

Wayne Forum Sod

Picked one up today from Asda Supermarket here in Leeds UK 49p.

Jacobite likes this.
  4. Jacobite

I really enjoy the sticks but the emotional connection is so deep. Scent is a powerful memory device. In my childhood in Ireland Palmolive was the only soap I ever encountered. It wasn't as ubiquitous in America, where I also lived. The scent was so connected to my Irish experience that to this day if you asked what scents I most strongly associated with Ireland I'd immediately say the scent of turf and coal fires and Palmolive soap.

Lucido, Yehuda D and Wayne like this.
  5. chris.hale

chris.hale Forum GOD!

Last weekend my local Asda had loads still at 49p. I think this is the fourth time the "Palmolive is disappearing" rumour has come around, Palmolive still have it listed on their website, I don't think we need to panic.

Missoni, R181, Jacobite and 1 other person like this.
  6. R181

R181 Grumpy old man

Yes. heard the Palmolive shave stick is gone song before. Unfortunately it will be hard to know until you can't get it anymore anywhere. There has to be years worth of supply in the supply chain when any product is discontinued. A lot of manufacturers do not announce that they will be/have discontinued a product either. Hell, they don't even announce reforumlations.

Bob

Yehuda D and Jacobite like this.
  7. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Guru

Damn, am I dumb. I didn’t know the Palmolive sticks were available in Ireland. I thought only the Classic cream was.

8. ShaunWistow

ShaunWistow WAWAW

My SOTD to the legendary stick. They keep going on offer, but then come back at the original price of 49p lol.

CED8AA51-9786-4C43-8050-F746A3DBC693.jpeg

N_Architect, R181 and Jacobite like this.
  9. bambrit

bambrit Forum GOD!

I have all 3 of what I call my 1 buck soaps. None are my favorites, by a mile, but I rate them Arko first, then Palmolive stick and Williams Mug soap last. I agree with earlier poster that there's something Irish about Palmolive sticks. Maybe its the green colour or just the smell of a Irish bath house. :laugh:

Jacobite, Wayne and Yehuda D like this.
  10. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Guru

All this talk about them is making me want to reach for mine tomorrow morning!

R181 and Jacobite like this.
  11. Wayne

Wayne Forum Sod

There is nowt Irish about Palmolive soap,

vita, R181 and Yehuda D like this.
  12. Jacobite

That is a handsome brush. A 30mm cashmere? Is it a ceramic handle?

ShaunWistow and Yehuda D like this.
  13. bambrit

bambrit Forum GOD!

There's nothing french about french fries and the queens English is well, like all English, a West Germanic language and a lingua franca. Colgate-Palmolive makes Irish Spring soap so if you're a manky Irishman who cleans up with Irish spring or shaves with green Palmolive stick, that can mean whatever you want it to and nowt n' think you do bout it. :giggle:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    rum, R181 and Wayne like this.
  14. ShaunWistow

ShaunWistow WAWAW

Thank you & you are correct, knot from AP Shave Co on Etsy & handle from @Roscotanna at Giles Shaving Co

Roscotanna and Jacobite like this.
  15. Wayne

Wayne Forum Sod

Right
    Right, being one of millions who has spent their Honeymoon at Niagra Falls and their Honeymoon night at the Royal York Hotel in Toronto Canaduh I have great pleasure in saying I did not understand a single word of that French Fur trapper nonsense lol. Of course French Fries are nonsense, they are Chips and as for Germanic/ Francaise I will have you know we repelled those invaders before any KFC or Mcdongies placed a foot on our sacred soil. :surrender:

missingskin, bambrit and R181 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice