Opticians and Spectacles

Wayne

Forum Sod
Go to the Opticians. Get your prescription ( They have to give you it by law ) Then go online and there are lots of companies that will make your glasses at a fraction of the price of your local Opticians and will make lenses to suit your frames no problem.

Vacumatic

Testy
The opticians can be very reluctant to hand over the prescription, I agree with Waynes comment, buy on line with your presription to hand.

I would always take someone with you when trying glasses on, what might look good to you is not always how others see you.

Buy a quality brand, not neccessarily a fashion brand.

If you are but rough in how you handle things, sorry I couldnt think of a better way of saying that, think about buying more substantial frames rather than frameless or thin wire frames. I bought some Cross frameless reading glasses, they are very well made but the framess nature of them means that they flex and the retaining screws need weekly tightening and there is the risk of overtightening and cracking the plastic/glass.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Go to the Opticians. Get your prescription ( They have to give you it by law ) Then go online and there are lots of companies that will make your glasses at a fraction of the price of your local Opticians and will make lenses to suit your frames no problem.
What he says ! Been doing this for years. Last pair Raybans, £225 online over £500 in the high street.

Baldar

Get your eyes checked and get your prescription from the optician. Go to Glasses Direct. You can choose 3 frames to try at home to see how they look. You will save at least 50% on lenses. I get my varifocals, with very thin lenses, and Transition coatings for less than £250. You can also get a free pair if you're only going for single-vision.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Should add I am very lucky where I have a local independent Optician who sells glasses, but will put lens in any frame you wish. I have been in to him twice and twice he has adjusted my glasses which haven’t gone through him for free. I did make a purchase only lens cloths and solution as I felt it right. So I this time will be buying a Cubitts frame and getting him to glaze them for me. He’s a nice fella as well, same age as me and into 80’s music.

UKRob

Forum GOD!
What I’ve always wondered about online lenses is how accurate are they in terms of where the frames sit on your face? What I’m getting at is that the optician measures your eyes against the frame to ensure that the lens grinding accounts for the distance between pupils and where the frames sit on your face. How can this be achieved online?

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
What I’ve always wondered about online lenses is how accurate are they in terms of where the frames sit on your face? What I’m getting at is that the optician measures your eyes against the frame to ensure that the lens grinding accounts for the distance between pupils and where the frames sit on your face. How can this be achieved online?
They all give instructions for measuring. Been a question of Mrs Saint and a ruler !!!

But ! It’s the frame adjustment that’s the problem. I know off the shelf RayBan Wayfarers fit me just right and I haven’t had an issue. But Currently I have a different RayBan and they have been a bit of a problem which is why I went to this local guy. He’s a friend of a friend and my friend had a word. But he was more than happy to help. Buying the frames and having him glaze them will eliminate these issues. He reckons on £50 ish for varifocals with transition lenses. That show you the mark up! He’s been in business a couple of years and never heard a bad word.

Baldar

I worked as an optician and lab technician for years, and I can tell you that there is a mathematical formula for calculating the pupillary distance (PD), which is the distance between your pupils, and the fitting height -- centre of pupil to lens. We used to do this manually, but when the computer knocks out the cuts for grinding the lens, it accounts for the PD and fitting height as well. Nothing wo worry about.

UKRob

Forum GOD!
I worked as an optician and lab technician for years, and I can tell you that there is a mathematical formula for calculating the pupillary distance (PD), which is the distance between your pupils, and the fitting height -- centre of pupil to lens. We used to do this manually, but when the computer knocks out the cuts for grinding the lens, it accounts for the PD and fitting height as well. Nothing wo worry about.
OK, that‘s reassuring. So, if I have it right, one simple measurement of the distance between pupils is all that’s needed - the computer then adjusts for frame/lens size and shape.

Baldar

You can use a ruler in mm. the centre of the left pupil (ocular sinister) to the centre of the right pupil (ocular dexter). The average PD for a grown male is 67mm.

Zwilling

Kamisori shaver
I have a pair of Cubitts and I’m really pleased with the fit, service and quality. When I tried them on in the shop, and put in the order, I apparently tried on a discontinued version of a frame. When my finished glasses came back, they looked just slightly different (1mm on the bridge difference). I commented on the slightly different fit. They insisted on making me another pair, and let me keep the old ones. Recommended.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
After getting fed up with dirty lenses, trying cleaning sprays and different cloths I decided to try a Chamois Leather. Did a search and found one that looked the thinnest. Do t know if it’s wearing a face mask all day at work or what, but my glasses seem to get dirty so quickly these days.

138AD653-DD2F-4BF8-8D13-488D460DB43D.jpeg

So far so good ! Works very well, but I’ll let the trial continue !

Jfett

CunningMr.Fox
After getting fed up with dirty lenses, trying cleaning sprays and different cloths I decided to try a Chamois Leather. Did a search and found one that looked the thinnest. Do t know if it’s wearing a face mask all day at work or what, but my glasses seem to get dirty so quickly these days.

View attachment 91433

So far so good ! Works very well, but I’ll let the trial continue !
Isopropanol alchahol and a twist loop microfiber. Then use a second microfiber as a buffing towel to remove any smears. Works for cleaning the car windows so give it a go my friend. Many respects. J.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Isopropanol alchahol and a twist loop microfiber. Then use a second microfiber as a buffing towel to remove any smears. Works for cleaning the car windows so give it a go my friend. Many respects. J.
Yeah tried that, think this pair have lost their scratch coating too. New ones in July when I have my eye test. Just a thought does Alcohol remove coatings over a period of time ?