Opticians and Spectacles

Randomangle

Über Bum
I will soon be going to the opticians as I think I will be needing some spectacles, I have done quite well but nothing lasts forever. :happy:

I'm not up with all this but I'd like to know about frames, etc. Would an optician be able to put lenses in frames I have acquired elsewhere? I may have access to a drawerful of vintage frames and if nothing comes from that I have my eye on some that are made by a 'niche' shop. Could I get my eyes tested and receive a prescription from one establishment and have it fulfilled by another? Would either side get the hump (this is my main concern)?

Thank you in advance for any demystification! :thumbsup:

Holyzeus

TSR reject
I will soon be going to the opticians as I think I will be needing some spectacles, I have done quite well but nothing lasts forever. :happy:

I'm not up with all this but I'd like to know about frames, etc. Would an optician be able to put lenses in frames I have acquired elsewhere? I may have access to a drawerful of vintage frames and if nothing comes from that I have my eye on some that are made by a 'niche' shop. Could I get my eyes tested and receive a prescription from one establishment and have it fulfilled by another? Would either side get the hump (this is my main concern)?

Yes, it’s what I’ve done for the last 6/8 years or so.
I bought expensive frames initially and just change the lenses

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!

I will be having my eyes tested in one place and getting my glasses elsewhere again this year. I usually order online but we have a local guy who just sells glasses, he doesn’t test. He is excellent however, I have been in and he has adjusted my glasses for free even though I didn’t buy them there. I usually go for wayfarers or a similar RayBan frame. But this time I’m looking at these.

I will buy the frames and take them to this guy , varifocals with reactalite. Local guy charges around £50. If I was to go with the high street and Ray Bans easily £500.

Randomangle

Über Bum
I will be having my eyes tested in one place and getting my glasses elsewhere again this year. I usually order online but we have a local guy who just sells glasses, he doesn’t test. He is excellent however, I have been in and he has adjusted my glasses for free even though I didn’t buy them there. I usually go for wayfarers or a similar RayBan frame. But this time I’m looking at these.

I will buy the frames and take them to this guy , varifocals with reactalite. Local guy charges around £50. If I was to go with the high street and Ray Bans easily £500.
That's music to my ears! If I can't get anything out of my possible vintage drawerful I will go for a pair from Cubbits. Did you amuse yourself with the virtual try on? There are some monster spectacles there! :cool: They used to have a pretty good archive section but that seems to have vanished.

Thanks again. :thumbsup:

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
That's music to my ears! If I can't get anything out of my possible vintage drawerful I will go for a pair from Cubbits. Did you amuse yourself with the virtual try on? There are some monster spectacles there! :cool: They used to have a pretty good archive section but that seems to have vanished.

Thanks again. :thumbsup:
Trouble I find is I have a big head so need monster glasses. I came across Cubbits and like the look and the handmade fact. Part of it too is the straight arms on the ones in the link, having a big head means curved arms need adjustments. I am also know for having “cool” looking glasses by all the students, they seem to love the fact I’m wearing Ray Bans especially if I go anywhere near sunlight and the go dark LOL !!!!

Randomangle

Über Bum
Trouble I find is I have a big head so need monster glasses. I came across Cubbits and like the look and the handmade fact. Part of it too is the straight arms on the ones in the link, having a big head means curved arms need adjustments. I am also know for having “cool” looking glasses by all the students, they seem to love the fact I’m wearing Ray Bans especially if I go anywhere near sunlight and the go dark LOL !!!!
They do have some great designs, I'm not sure if my head can be classified as big, although I know it's not small ... probably above average. :happy:

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Tomorrow is going to be a virtual try-on marathon, I'm going to go through the lot.
Do try the Midland in Tangerine LOL !!!!!

Last edited:

Randomangle

Über Bum
How did you get on ?
The Midlands were just a bit too much for me, especially in Tangerine. There is too much choice though, I'm going to wait a bit longer as I will have to find a company that will just do the lenses and fitting part. Like everything nowadays there is too much choice on the internet. :D

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
The Midlands were just a bit too much for me, especially in Tangerine. There is too much choice though, I'm going to wait a bit longer as I will have to find a company that will just do the lenses and fitting part. Like everything nowadays there is too much choice on the internet. :D
Huge range of colours on that site, some a little too much !